Don't throw your TTY away!

One day, there is outage power, videophone will not work and you become DEPENDENCE by ask neighbor, friend or family to call 911 for you.

One day, there is outage power, videophone will not work and you become DEPENDENCE by ask neighbor, friend or family to call 911 for you.

Or make a 911 call from your battery operated cell phone, if you have one. If you don't talk to the dispatch, they will find your GPS coordinates and send someone anyway.

Or make a 911 call from your battery operated cell phone, if you have one. If you don't talk to the dispatch, they will find your GPS coordinates and send someone anyway.

It will take much time to track where you are. You die within 15 minutes while police arrive at next 15 minutes later.

I ask few deaf-blind, they're still use braille TTY to make call. She was so sad to not make deaf friend who don't have TTY to reach. She have to get assist lady to help out. Pretty sad.

hmmm -- most of us have data only smart phones with gps built in. Just dail 911 and just speak the words best you can like deaf, help, etc. They should be able to send someone to investigate. Problem is I never had to test this.

I understand from the Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto that the original TTY were in fact teletype machines. They still have an "old" there. Vastly different than I one bought from them over 15 years ago-UltraTec 1140.

well people can talk about not to throw tty out but what about vco phones? deaf people use voices to call 911 so how many still have vco phones? who knows maybe we all wish we have wifi tty in the future

well people can talk about not to throw tty out but what about vco phones? deaf people use voices to call 911 so how many still have vco phones? who knows maybe we all wish we have wifi tty in the future

what about vco phones? its just a phone. a tty with vco is just a phone built in tty with capability to use both same time.

wifi tty? we already have it. go get a laptop with wireless network card and download p3 (use texting tab) or similar TRS software and make a text call from panera bread or mcdonalds or home.

anymore questions? :wave:

MY UltraTech 1140 is a VCO/text/regular phone. Purchased in January 1996 from Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto -still in use today. Just dial 711.

Aside: notwithstanding I have A Cochlear Implant-doesn't pick anyone speaking.

When I had a TTY and amplified phone, I had it set up for VCO, so captioning only one way. I spoke; didn't have to type my response. Speeded up phone calls with hearing people. :P However, now that most companies have the recorded phone gauntlet in which you have to select a number option, TTY & VCO doesn't work very well because these auto answering systems hang up with the relay operator is still trying to type the options, when the relay operator can't punch the number option quick enough. :shock: So if I didn't have the phone tree gauntlet of options memorized so when I dialed the relay operator to start the call, it meant hanging up and redialing after I knew my "choices." :roll: Then the advent of the Captel which really made it possible to call businesses as most no longer have a live person answering any more. Just the recorded gauntlet of choices. And that made life so much easier! :) When I got my Captel, my state program took my TTY away. Can only have so many pieces of equipment. It was an either/or situation. :|

deaf and hard of hearing telephone loan company in California
not allow you to borrow captionphone with TDD
ask you to pick one!

I pick TDD, telephone/amplified, and light flash ring
Life is full of limit !!!! in many old year past

TDD/Printer is awesome!
I love this the best save my hand write

Sorenson.com bring up VP100 update VP200
now a day new technology come up
if you are end user ASL need have internet at home!
Apply | Sorenson VRS®

why didn't apply get captioncall
return your old captionphone get your TDD BACK!
fill paperwork under link

CaptionCall Caption-Enabled Telephone Deaf, Hearing Loss, Sign Language Products | HarrisCommunications

until harriscomm will process your form thru captioncall
and captioncall will email you when to install your home!

you must have
- telephone line in home
- power outlet
- internet service modem or rounder

captioncall man will come your home install
- free telephone
- free captioncall
- free setup wireless

you gone love this one best this is a new technology of captioncall

I don't have to ask my family listen answer machine what they say?
captioncall touch screen list click answer machine put handset on table where your other phone with answer machine click play now captioncall listen answer machine and display screen caption!!!! solved problem

for more information read this
https://www.captioncall.com/CaptionCall/CaptionCall_Solution/How-CaptionCall-Works.aspx

When I had a TTY and amplified phone, I had it set up for VCO, so captioning only one way. I spoke; didn't have to type my response. Speeded up phone calls with hearing people. :P However, now that most companies have the recorded phone gauntlet in which you have to select a number option, TTY & VCO doesn't work very well because these auto answering systems hang up with the relay operator is still trying to type the options, when the relay operator can't punch the number option quick enough. :shock: So if I didn't have the phone tree gauntlet of options memorized so when I dialed the relay operator to start the call, it meant hanging up and redialing after I knew my "choices." :roll: Then the advent of the Captel which really made it possible to call businesses as most no longer have a live person answering any more. Just the recorded gauntlet of choices. And that made life so much easier! :) When I got my Captel, my state program took my TTY away. Can only have so many pieces of equipment. It was an either/or situation. :|

I still use the first thing you described although not with an amplified phone. My notes with Sprint, who has the contract in Illinois, include hold for a live person. This works most of the time and I have not been aware of most phone trees.

Here is what is available equipment wise in Illinois. ITAC - Programs It looks to me like you could get a TTY and then a CapTel 4 years later or vise versa.

I am getting into using Wireless CapTel by Sprint for cell phone calls; but am new enough to it to think that it will still get smoother over time. You do not have to use Sprint as your cell provider just be using a phone that uses the Android OS at 2.2 or later. In fact, I have a Droid 2 on Page Plus (they are a MVNO that uses Verizon towers).

Edit: Just thought of one of the advantages of still having a TTY. You can still call even if your internet connection is down!

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

I now have the internet CapTel 840i which has a built in answering machine w/ both voice & captioning. It's not perfect, but a step up from the state provided CapTel as no special # is required to call me & I don't have to be afraid to answer the phone. Every incoming call is captioned. :) I was going to get the CaptionCall but heard a lot of negatives about it. So I stuck w/ CapTel because the older one gave me good service. Neither the CapTel 840i nor the CaptionCall are available from my state services, though. The state only has basic CapTel, TTYs, amplified phones. No Internet ones that give automatic incoming captioning.

VCO means you are speaking with the Relay operator keying back what the other party is saying. I access the system by dialing 711 and advising I am requesting VCO which the operator keys back VCO set up GA. Give the phone number. aside- On my machine key "memo then the key V.- done. You must tell the Relay operator who wish to speak to. Customer services? I always advise if I have use the Relay service with the specific number before and unnecessary to explain how the Relay service works.

I have used TTY VCO since January 1996.

I have an UltraTech 1140

I use both a CaptionCall phone and a Uniphone-1140 setup with VCO. I find the CaptionCall phone is great for calling people who know me, and the Uniphone comes in handy when the internet is down and when I have to call call centers. It is hard to explain to someone to slow down due to reading captions, so instead I do VCO through the state relay number to call centers so I can better understand what is being said to me.

I have my profile setup with the state relay program that when ever I dial 711 to go into VCO mode. However this evening the opr didn't automatically put my call into VCO mode, so I had to ask. I also noticed that the opr ID ended in T after the usual four numbers and F or M. Does this mean this opr is in training?

Back