Don't throw your TTY away!

CrazyPaul

Reaction score
I was told by a VP installer not to throw the TTY away because when the internet is down, you can't call 911 by VP so in that case, the TTY would be useful. Alot of no-common-sense deaf people got rid of their TTY since they think they don't need to keep it any longer because they have a VP which is connected to internet.

BTW, one of my deaf co-workers got fired because when he tried to call in sick, his internet was down so he couldn't use VRS and he didn't have a TTY that he got rid of some time ago. But luckily, a few weeks later he came back to work after the union president fought for him who is on probation for TWO YEARS.

In other words, if you can't call in sick by VP because your internet is down, your employer will tell you that it's your problem.

So don't throw your TTY away just in case.

um what about cell phone that have IP relay or text?

That would probably be OK as most of the time the internet providers for you computer, VP and cell phone are different companies.

DO be aware the IP stands for Internet Protocol. Thus, it can be down at times. The same way with text messaging.

some people do not have dial up connection service (telephone only). most of them chose the cables internet connection. so TTY is useless when the cable internet connection go down. eh.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Well, my tty got lost/stolen. The reliabity with internet and my phone is very stable. I don't think it is a problem. Landline phone lines can go out.

Well, my tty got lost/stolen. The reliabity with internet and my phone is very stable. I don't think it is a problem. Landline phone lines can go out.

oh i couldnt remember what word is for landline phone lines lol thansk!

Home phone services RARELY go down unless there's a big earthquake or tornado in your area.

Cable internet services frequently go down. That's a fact. My brother-in-law who used to work for the cable company said that the cable internet connection sucks. What's more, the guy who got fired has the cable internet (Time-Warner) which was down when he tried to call in sick. He was pissed off.

So my point is that the TTY which is connected to a home phone service should be kept as a back-up. I heard that some federal government agencies such as IRS don't accept VRS calls, only TTY calls accepted.

Yeah...I still have my old TDD or TTY...and it still works...I do use it occassionally, and do have some friends that don't have a VP (can't afford Internet)....so it all works out good!

Our cable/internet goes out during heavy storms and sometimes when the cable company is doing maintenance of the lines.

Cell phone use is sometimes not available in certain areas around here. During heavy use times, like emergencies, it might not be available.

Our landline phone has been always available, even during and after Hurricane Hugo. Also, on our landline phone, we receive automated reverse 911 notifications for emergency announcements from the Sheriff.

Sometimes we have to use the landline TTY for Deaf contacts who don't have VRS available.

My home phone goes out all of the time. Not that I use it. It's hard to use the cell phone after an emergency (like a hurricane) and then email is the best way to contact people. I don't know anyone who has TTY. I've seen the clunky machine before. Guess that if your have room to store it, there's no harm in that.

My home phone goes out all of the time. Not that I use it. It's hard to use the cell phone after an emergency (like a hurricane) and than email is the best way to contact people. I don't know anyone who has TTY. I've seen the clunky machine before. Guess that if your have room to store it, there's no harm in that.
I still have a TTY because there are some deaf people who don't have internet services, and that's the only way they can contact me. I know several who use TTY.

I'm surprised that your home phone goes out all the time.

My home phone goes out all of the time. Not that I use it. It's hard to use the cell phone after an emergency (like a hurricane) and then email is the best way to contact people. I don't know anyone who has TTY. I've seen the clunky machine before. Guess that if your have room to store it, there's no harm in that.

"Clunky machine"?....Not mine. It's an Ultratec. Lots smaller than my Dell computer screen, fits nicely upon my desk with my computer and my VP.

CrazyPaul said:

Home phone services RARELY go down unless there's a big earthquake or tornado in your area.

Cable internet services frequently go down. That's a fact. My brother-in-law who used to work for the cable company said that the cable internet connection sucks. What's more, the guy who got fired has the cable internet (Time-Warner) which was down when he tried to call in sick. He was pissed off.

So my point is that the TTY which is connected to a home phone service should be kept as a back-up. I heard that some federal government agencies such as IRS don't accept VRS calls, only TTY calls accepted.

Well my cable internet only went down once or twice in over a year of usage. It only lasted several minutes. Nothing stays 100% reliable anyway. I haven't seen my phone go offline since for a long time.

Well my cable internet only went down once or twice in over a year of usage. It only lasted several minutes. Nothing stays 100% reliable anyway. I haven't seen my phone go offline since for a long time.

My guess is you don't use Comcast, huh?....But anyhow, whenever ours goes out, I make a note of it...and call Comcast and tell them I'm due a refund. They take it off my bill....I'm not about paying for services that I don't receive! And they've gotten a LOT of calls and complaints from me. So whenever I have "threatened" to use another company...they automatically give me a big reduction on my bill in order to keep me, since I've been with them for 20 years, give or take....

For those of you who do use the TTY....have you ever had any problems calling long distance and and telling the Relay operator that ur carrier is Comcast?....

Since the Relay uses Sprint, they block any Comcast long distancfe calls!...The Relay operators have a hard time trying to use Comcast, and many times have had to call their Supervisors over to to be able to make the call....

It's taken me a long time to be able to make a long distance call thru the TTY Relay using Comcast! And I've complained about it for years, to no avail....Sprint wants you to use Sprint and not another carrier....

I have the kind of phone that has DSL. Maybe the phone goes out because of the cable? The cable company is putting in new lines so many that will help the situation.

Sometimes, the mysterious phone outages can be from toothly little critters known as squirrels. We have a ton of them.

Mostly, whenever our Internet goes out, so does the phone...but the TV is still working with cable....sometimes it's the other way around. My guess was that it was with old wiring (?)....Then again, critters can do much damage too.

I just use pigeon to delivers message for me and trained to poop on boss. <grin>

Back