Don't throw your TTY away!

OIC....ur right about that....but time urself....which is faster....dialing the "direct" police number for the deaf (TTY), (not having to go thru relay)....having the officer respond after 2-3 rings, typing ur name, nature of emergency and address....without having to go thru an intreprtor via VP...

You would have to (using VP)....tell the intreprtor what number you want to call...wait until they dial it...sign ur name, ur emergency....wait for the intrepretor to voice that to the officer... etc.

I believe TTY is faster!...Where I live they have several officers who man the TTY's (are knowledgeable of their use)...and whenever I've had to call, it only took 2 rings before it was answered....

What's wrong with 911 calls via TTY or VRS?

OIC....ur right about that....but time urself....which is faster....dialing the "direct" police number for the deaf (TTY), (not having to go thru relay)....having the officer respond after 2-3 rings, typing ur name, nature of emergency and address....without having to go thru an intreprtor via VP...

You would have to (using VP)....tell the intreprtor what number you want to call...wait until they dial it...sign ur name, ur emergency....wait for the intrepretor to voice that to the officer... etc.

I believe TTY is faster!...Where I live they have several officers who man the TTY's (are knowledgeable of their use)...and whenever I've had to call, it only took 2 rings before it was answered....

......with convo, no difference. and much faster using the terp.........

nothing!..i just said that calling the police via tty direct seems to be a lot faster than using the vp....

oic

I just checked my local police station for a TTY number. They don't have one so I have to use 911 or their voice number using VRS or phone relay service.

oic

I just checked my local police station for a TTY number. They don't have one so I have to use 911.

In Canada, the number for the relay service is 711. I once accidentally dialed 911 and cops showed up at my door within minutes. They don't have a TTY either but just the fact someone called 911 is serious enough for them to investigate whether or not the caller hung up or didn't stay on the line and explain the emergency.

In Canada, the number for the relay service is 711. I once accidentally dialed 911 and cops showed up at my door within minutes. They don't have a TTY either but just the fact someone called 911 is serious enough for them to investigate whether or not the caller hung up or didn't stay on the line and explain the emergency.

Yeah same here in America 711

Yeah I remember one day my daughter played around dialing 911 and then the police showed up. I said what's up? They said someone called 911. I told them that we didn't before I found out that my daughter did. They looked so pissed and left. She learned a big lesson. She told me that she couldn't believe they came immediately. I think a 911 call is faster, too.

oic

I just checked my local police station for a TTY number. They don't have one so I have to use 911 or their voice number using VRS or phone relay service.

Where i live, we have a direct line for deaf callers and police officers know how to use the TTY...Sorry about where you live....

I'm sure jails have a TTY....but have heard some might now have VP's installed, not sure of it....all in all, TTY's may be mainly obsolete, they are still being used.

That's why I've kept my TTY/TDD....

Where i live, we have a direct line for deaf callers and police officers know how to use the TTY...Sorry about where you live....

I'm sure jails have a TTY....but have heard some might now have VP's installed, not sure of it....all in all, TTY's may be mainly obsolete, they are still being used.

That's why I've kept my TTY/TDD....

If my 15 years old TTY is broken, Verizon will replace it if available. If they don't have any more TTYs, I am not crying since I have a VP as long as my internet is up so it should not be a problem. But if it's down, then I am stuck without a TTY. I can't afford a smartphone because I have a lot of bills to pay.

I contacted Harris Comm that carries TTYs and asked if people are still buying them and if TTYs are obsolete. The customer service said yes and no, it's still in business respectfully.

Here in Jax...Independent Living will fix ur TTY...clean it....give you a new one if needed, etc. And mine is old and really needs a good cleaning.... Even when I needed a new charger for mine...the lady there met me almost close to my home to give me a new one, since it was over 20 miles to their office. Very nice of them....

......with convo, no difference. and much faster using the terp.........

I dispute that...I can type faster than I can sign...all I have to do with the direct line to the police (using TTY)...is dial the number...then it says...'JSO, what is the nature of ur emergency"?....then all i have to do is type my name, address, and reason for the call....and an officer is automatically sent out....

While you are waiting for an intrepretor...telling them the number to call...having to wait for them to call that number....then signing what the emergency is...then they having to tell the Police (speak it)....ur addy, etc., etc.....Nah!...TTY beats it hands down if ur city has a direct line for the police as Jacksonville does....they even have names of deafies and their number/addresses at the police station....

I dispute that...I can type faster than I can sign...all I have to do with the direct line to the police (using TTY)...is dial the number...then it says...'JSO, what is the nature of ur emergency"?....then all i have to do is type my name, address, and reason for the call....and an officer is automatically sent out....

While you are waiting for an intrepretor...telling them the number to call...having to wait for them to call that number....then signing what the emergency is...then they having to tell the Police (speak it)....ur addy, etc., etc.....Nah!...TTY beats it hands down if ur city has a direct line for the police as Jacksonville does....they even have names of deafies and their number/addresses at the police station....

There are Video Phone that are already E911 enable so no need to be giving terp your home address or phone number. Terp already have it and can contact your local police or fireman etc.

And anytime you call 911 on Video Phone the priority goes right to the top to the list and you should get terp very fast.

Video Phone with E911 feature are alot faster than tty calling 911 when giving police descriptions or explaining what is occuring

Like you saw a red car with flame stripes on it hit a child and took off but you know the driver is wearing bright hawaii shirt with blue flowers on it and have a dark black sunglasses on it. Also you noticed a beagle dog in the car and it going northwestern direction which almost hit another white car which pulled over to help the child that got hit and this person is not the one police is looking for and to send an ambulance immedaity for the child whom was hit. But dispatcher is gonna ask you a million of question right away to get the most information they can to catch the person who hit the child as soon as possible or that person could be gone forever and police will never find him or her because tty answering dispatcher questions took forever to response or tty garabled up the answer &*^#@@!&^!@#)( and you had to retype the answer again hoping it went through this time clearly.

Haha - I haven't used a TTY in years and my parents got rid of their landline in 2006.

Welcome to the mobile era.

Oh, double clicking the number in the VP address book slower than looking the tty number up in the book, then pressing 9 digits on the phone. Cool.

Your signing slower than the tty, i can understand.

Like Techbill says... Convo has my address on record.

You don't need to tell my bosses that. The other day a friend and I was in my agency's storage room and we made our way down to the creepy basement. There, we found OLD TTY machines.. I'm talking the first TTYs ever invented. Crazy heavy and crazy old.

You don't need to tell my bosses that. The other day a friend and I was in my agency's storage room and we made our way down to the creepy basement. There, we found OLD TTY machines.. I'm talking the first TTYs ever invented. Crazy heavy and crazy old.

Yeah, I've seen them too...pretty ancient...and also old teletype machines...wondering if that old TTY machine would be worth anything? Perhaps not, only just a sentimental thing to someone....perhaps a Museum?

My home phone goes out all of the time. Not that I use it. It's hard to use the cell phone after an emergency (like a hurricane) and then email is the best way to contact people. I don't know anyone who has TTY. I've seen the clunky machine before. Guess that if your have room to store it, there's no harm in that.

I have a TTY & will always have a TTY instead of the VP internet thing. I do not like the way I look on camera or in Pictures is why I refuse to get rid of my TTY.

I have had mine for 12 yrs, & I STILL baby the crap out of it.

I made a hard clear plastic cover to keep out the dust, plus I use that canned air as needed to clean it also. I have the telephone connection with the cable company at my place but I refuse to use it...give me a land line any day. When the poop hits the fan, and all communications are down, that land line has always been there for me when I needed it. I have a cell phone that I got for free(compliments of the American Government), but I hardly use it....I think I made 2 calls on it last month. I am required to make at least one call a month or I lose the service...so I usually text a message home & make sure that the "call" lasts for about 5 minutes(which is not hard because this phone does NOT have a Qwerty keypad. :( So it takes forever to type a message. I never make voice calls on any phone any more....people do not understand me on the phone so that's why I don't use voice.

oic

Back in Indiana where I grew up, the only way for the deaf or HOH to call police, emergency or not, is through relay service.

The Police Dept. said that they can not justify the cost of a TTY(buying the unit, & training everyone on how to use it) & the VP Internet thing is not secure enough to justify the cost of that either. In short, if you are deaf or disabled, the local police are the LAST ONES you should want to call because that just do not give a rat's butt about the deaf & disabled.

Now I have been gone from Indiana for 9 months & 6 days, so maybe things have changed, but I doubt it.

I would love to have 1 or 2 of them ancient machines. :)
I wouldn't even care if they worked or not....chances are, I could make them work. I used to work for the phone company back in Indiana, so I know quite a bit about how them things work....

I have had an UltraTec 1140 TTY for the last 15 years. Still use it to this day. I do in fact have a cochlear Implant but unable to "hear" anyone speaking- just the dial tone. I don't have VOIP etc.

Back