Don't throw your TTY away!

Landline and TTYs...no thanks. The employer should be understanding of the fact that deaf people have different ways of calling in sick...

Are you talking about a special treatment for those people because they are deaf? The employer would never do that as long as it follows the laws and deaf employees follow USPS rules.

If your internet is down and your mobile is malfunctioning (can happen anytime anyday) and you don't have a TTY at home, how would you call in sick at night? Would you feel comfortable bothering your neighbor to make a sick call for you at night?

If anyone here says "what about a local police station?", that's a dumb question.

That's exactly why I cancelled my landline. It's a waste of money especially because of Bell Canada sneaking in additional and unnecessary fees all the time that would force me to call them and have them remove them. I love that my cell won't take voice calls so it makes people to get in touch with me in other ways like email, texting or snail mail. It's wonderful!

My cell with Bell Canada...they tell me my cell MUST include voice calls even though I'm voice-off stone deaf. I pay every month! How you get no voice calls?!?!?

Are you talking about a special treatment for those people because they are deaf? The employer would never do that as long as it follows the laws and deaf employees follow USPS rules.

If your internet is down and your mobile is malfunctioning (can happen anytime anyday) and you don't have a TTY at home, how would you call in sick at night? Would you feel comfortable bothering your neighbor to make a sick call for you at night?

If anyone here says "what about a local police station?", that's a dumb question.

24 hour food store with a tty.

My cell with Bell Canada...they tell me my cell MUST include voice calls even though I'm voice-off stone deaf. I pay every month! How you get no voice calls?!?!?

That's interesting because I thought all mobile service providers would offer you two options-- data plan or voice plan.

Possibly they made you a fool out of yourself. Who knows?

EDITED: Oh, I got it. If they offer you a discount for a mobile device itself, they usually require you to pay for a voice plan per contract. It happened to my wife once but she cancelled it within 14 days so she didn't break the contract.

I suppose I should get my old typewriter back in case my Macbook Pro malfunctions in the middle of my work with a pressing due date so I wouldn't get fired.

ADA needs to be updated. Company policies need to be challenged and updated. The TTY is obsolete, and the world needs to keep up with the technology advances.

But I DO see your point. It is always a good idea to have a back-up.

I suppose I should get my old typewriter back in case my Macbook Pro malfunctions in the middle of my work with a pressing due date so I wouldn't get fired.

ADA needs to be updated. Company policies need to be challenged and updated. The TTY is obsolete, and the world needs to keep up with the technology advances.

According to the FCC more than 60% americans have no access to high speed internet. :shock:

Project Endeavor comes to mind...helps deaf folks with financial issues get either a free laptop or one year of free internet...forgot where they are based but they do have an awesome program for that purpose.

Many companies such as Verizon, ATT, even DirecTV, Kaiser (HMO) and government agencies like IRS, USPS, ADA still have their own TTY numbers, thus TTYs are not obsolete yet.

We already have the technology in which we can contact people via wired/wireless internet but it's not always reliable.

Relax :beer: and go to a nearby library during its business hours. They have a computer ready for you to use.

However, if it happens during closed hours, (as someone suggested that in the event of internet outage, one goes to his/her neighbor to make a sick call for him/her because of no TTY) why don't you go to your neighbor to borrow a laptop? :hmm:

I was not talking about a portable TTY. I was talking about the one that stays in home. Carl tried to call the employer from home at night, not outside of his home. But he failed to do so because his internet was down and his mobile was fucked up. That's all I talked about. That's why I brought it up. If you already got rid of your TTY, I don't give a shit.

You think it's always happen at 100% of stay home? It's happen to me before when my tire got flat or broke down and I texted/emailed to boss/HR to let them know I will come late or whatever when I was 20 miles away from the home.

Mobile was fuckedup? Let me guess it's sidekick under T-mobile? That's make sense to me. :giggle: That's why I never own sidekick all in my life.

What's if your TTY fucked up or landline down?

According to the FCC more than 60% americans have no access to high speed internet. :shock:

There is always other way. Like my parent in law don't have high speed internet for their area and thought no way to access to high speed interent but they were wrong. I showed them to use VZ's MIFI or USB to connection and they did and very happy to have high speed internet thru VZ USB.

Neighbor? Library? Free WIFI hotspots? Police Station?

If it was me .............. I would just drive diectly to work and let them know that I will not be attending to work because I am sick while I am on way to Doctor office or ER afterall most all works now days want to see doctor note

If it was me .............. I would just drive diectly to work and let them know that I will not be attending to work because I am sick while I am on way to Doctor office or ER afterall most all works now days want to see doctor note

All that is if you are unlucky enough to HAVE to call in.

I am fairly certain that my husband's work requires using the internet for all sick leave, etc.

Even if you live 2 hours away? Many postal employees at my workplace live more than 90 mins away from work so it would be a waste of money on gas to stop by and let a supervisor know about your absence, then go back home. That's so ridiculous. That would be even crazier when you feel very sick to drive. A TTY is a solution for me in case of an emergency.

A medical document is required if I call in sick for three days or longer. Upon returning to work after illness/injury, I just bring it to my supervisor, not necessary to bring it on the first day of illness.

I am fairly certain that my husband's work requires using the internet for all sick leave, etc.

His work doesn't allow landline phone calls? That's so fucking strange. What if some of his co-workers don't have internet?

Last edited:
Back