Don't tell me that deaf people are poor tippers, please....

No problem that anyone tells you about, I'm sure. Regardless of the service you make everyone give a big tip. I'm sure they are all just super happy about it.
You sure do like to make a lot of false assumptions.

Where in the world did I say I make everybody give a big tip? When in group, it's 20% so everybody's got to pay their fair share of that amount equally. They're free to tip more than that if they wish to.

The OP didn't get the water so the service wasn't good. He did the right thing and hopefully the wait staff will do a better job in the future.

There are certain things the OP is going to have to do when on a date. There are certain times he is going to have to do what he does not want to do. He's going have to bend the rules because it is customary to do so and avoid an argument. If she asks him if she looks fat, he is going to answer no. If she asks him to pay a bigger tip, he is going to pay a bigger tip. He doesn't have to like it, it's just that being in a relationship requires compromise.
Most of us agreed that he's being immature. You should not be giving $1 tip even for a bad service. It should be 10% for mediocre service. plus - you should complain to both server and manager for bad service and you will most likely get a compensation for it.

By the way, I'm curious, if a woman asked you if she was fat(and she was) what would your answer be?
I've always answered the question truthfully and they don't get offended because "It's not what you say. It's how you say it."

I want to get back to the point about the topic "Don't tell me that deaf people are poor tippers, please...". I am deaf and a great tipper so I agree with the topic. Not ALL deaf people are poor tippers. Period.

correct..... which is why I said this -

over years, I have noticed that it is not a certain group of people that make them a bad tipper. it's not "deaf people" or "black people" or anything else.

it is those with self-entitlement attitude - gimme gimme gimme! regardless of sex, race, nationality, or religion.

I want to get back to the point about the topic "Don't tell me that deaf people are poor tippers, please...". I am deaf and a great tipper so I agree with the topic. Not ALL deaf people are poor tippers. Period.

Well, after all this discussion, how do you think the OP with the bruised ego fared and what he now thinks or should have learned along with the rest of us?

Last edited:
I've always answered the question truthfully and they don't get offended because "It's not what you say. It's how you say it."

I see. And, how exactly do you, "say it"? This is important in the event the OP happens to come upon this particular situation. Pay attention, OP.

I don't think all bad tippers are entitled or selfish people. Some simply are not aware of tipping etiquette (such as teens or young adults) and others have grown up believing tipping is for service above and beyond blandly taking your order and serving your food. Let me expand on that ...

My son picked up on tipping early and would always cover the tip when he and his young friends (who didn't tip) went out for pizza. They were all students who had very little money so they were happy when they could all just scrape together enough to go out to eat after hockey. However, I soon had to have a talk with my son after I found out he was also tipping when he picked up a pizza or fast food to-go and would tip $5 on a $15 haircut. He was an overly generous tipper ... usually with our money! haha I told him when tipping was appropriate or not and said, when you are making your own money on a regular basis you can tip all you want but until then follow the general rules. He is now works fulltime during the summer and must use that money to cover his university tuition and personal expenses so his tipping habits are much more reserved ha!

As for the deaf being poor tippers, I have no idea if that is a widespread experience but I will be honest with an experience I had. When I first started hanging out with groups from the Deaf culture, a couple of my deaf friends warned me that deafies are typically poor tippers and often would not contribute what I might consider their fair share. I did not question it but went with the flow. Over time I came to learn that the majority of these 'poor tippers' came from two camps; one were people on a limited income but still liked to go out to dinner once in a while, and the other were ones who felt the hearing wait staff did not go out of their way to communicate openly with them (beyond noting what was pointed to on the menu and delivering their food). Now, bear in mind this is only my experience and we come from an area where wait staff are paid over $9 an hour.

So, all that being said, I think tipping habits vary not only from person to person but also from area to area. Now that I have learned (via this thread) that the base wage of wait staff varies greatly from state to state, I will be more conscientious of my tipping practices when I travel to the US.

I see. And, how exactly do you, "say it"? This is important in the event the OP happens to come upon this particular situation. Pay attention, OP.

It won't work even if you did exactly same as me.

Jiro Charm, ya know? :cool2:

Since tipping just doesnt happen over here what happens if the meal was $30 and you only had a $50 note, do you tip them $20?

Since tipping just doesnt happen over here what happens if the meal was $30 and you only had a $50 note, do you tip them $20?

Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but no. A 20% tip on a 30.00 meal comes to 6.00 so when you pay and receive change back, you just leave the 6.00 on the table as the tip......for example.....

Tipping is usually figured as a percentage, as noted in prior posts. Normally, a basic tip is 15% ($4.50 on a $30 meal); a tip for good service is 20% ($6); and a tip for outstanding service is 25% ($7.50).

So, supposing the service was good, you would pay $30 for the meal and $6 for the tip, which is a total of $36. When you give the server or cashier your $50 you will get back $20 change. (Be sure to ask for small bills.) Then, you can leave the $6 tip on the table or in the "wallet" that the server uses for presenting the bill.

There are other parts?

Yeah, in the OP's initial post, he mentioned he didn't get his water and after all these pages, it turns out that the water was/is the singular negative point. Boo Hoo.....

Yeah, in the OP's initial post, he mentioned he didn't get his water and after all these pages, it turns out that the water was/is the singular negative point. Boo Hoo.....

Oh gotcha.....I was just joking that the beer is a meal all by itself.

Beer has food value but food doesn't have beer value :hmm:

after seeing the gross conditions on "Kitchen Nightmares" I some times think twice before going out to dine :Ohno:

she assumed the iron cross patch on my vest meant I was a white supremacist. :roll: irregardless that is still no reason to spit in someones food.

the manager knew me and my family. my parents and I would meet to dine at least once a month. in fact about 5 months before the spitting incident. the manager asked me why my knuckles were all bruised and cut up. I told him about a fight that had happened between me and a skinhead. I saw this really beautiful frisco style shovelhead. stuck up a conversation with the skinhead owner. we chatted for a bit. the skinhead was acting all nice to me. a man was walking down the street in a t-shirt with a picture of a native brave on it. the passer-by was also wearing a bunch of turquoise jewelry and stuff. so the skinhead started shooting off his mouth: "hey Tonto...(insert stupid slurs)"
I told the skinhead to shut his mouth. told him I was part Cherokee and Choctaw. he did not believe me as I have light skin, brown hair and blue eyes. assured him I was and if he did not shut his mouth, I would put my foot in it. the skinhead was taller and larger then me, so he assumed he could take me. well my foot went right through his teeth. toyed with him a bit. then knocked him out. I took a pin off his jacket. which I still have -
:laugh2:

Size do not matter. It's about fight skills.

Cool story!

I say there is no one worse than my late father-in-law for a tipper and he was full hearing. He left a dime no matter how much the ticket was. I remember going to a Red Lobster and the total was over $150 and still, he left a dime. It got to be that whenever my in-laws came to visit, I kept plenty of cash in my wallet just to leave a tip no matter where we went.

As for the question of deaf people being poor tippers, that's not true. Anyone can be a poor tipper. Now-a-days, the younger people are not always taught what constitutes a good or decent tip. I was taught: 15% for average, 20% for good, 30% for above average and 40% for excellent. Also, 5-10% for bad service with an explanation. If the food was lousy, make sure to tell the wait staff so it can be brought to the attention of the manager. This way they can take it up with the cook/chef.

Back