Don't tell me that deaf people are poor tippers, please....

I say there is no one worse than my late father-in-law for a tipper and he was full hearing. He left a dime no matter how much the ticket was. I remember going to a Red Lobster and the total was over $150 and still, he left a dime. It got to be that whenever my in-laws came to visit, I kept plenty of cash in my wallet just to leave a tip no matter where we went....
Did he ever give you a reason why he tipped a dime? It must have been more than just being a tightwad.

Did he ever give you a reason why he tipped a dime? It must have been more than just being a tightwad.

He had no reason other than that was the way he was taught. In all actuality, he and MIL were major tightwads. She still is at times.

I say there is no one worse than my late father-in-law for a tipper and he was full hearing. He left a dime no matter how much the ticket was. I remember going to a Red Lobster and the total was over $150 and still, he left a dime. It got to be that whenever my in-laws came to visit, I kept plenty of cash in my wallet just to leave a tip no matter where we went.

As for the question of deaf people being poor tippers, that's not true. Anyone can be a poor tipper. Now-a-days, the younger people are not always taught what constitutes a good or decent tip. I was taught: 15% for average, 20% for good, 30% for above average and 40% for excellent. Also, 5-10% for bad service with an explanation. If the food was lousy, make sure to tell the wait staff so it can be brought to the attention of the manager. This way they can take it up with the cook/chef.

a dime? hmmm..... sounds like he's..... very superstitious?

or does he have Alzheimer's or similar because it could be that he thinks he's in 1950's or something where a dime is considered $$? :dunno2:

or does he have Alzheimer's or similar because it could be that he thinks he's in 1950's or something where a dime is considered $$? :dunno2:

He was that way long before he had Alzheimer's. Hubby said he was that way all his life and MIL agreed.

He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2005 and died in 2009 with cancer.

He was that way long before he had Alzheimer's. Hubby said he was that way all his life and MIL agreed.

I guess we'll never know..... could be either superstitious or the way he was taught.

Well - MIL and hubby knew the parents and it was the way he was taught.
It's sad that as an adult he couldn't overcome that. My dad grew up very poor during the Depression, and never ate "out" until he was an adult. Somehow he was a very generous tipper, even though he wasn't by nature a generous man.

I know other people from that generation who were "tight" with their tips, and usually limited themselves to 10%. Maybe your FIL misunderstood "10 percent" for "10 cents." :dunno:

I guess we'll never know..... could be either superstitious or the way he was taught.

some people are just a niggard.

there was a man that lived in my area. he once owned most of the property in the area. he was worth millions and lived in a tiny hovel. he was so cheap he would seperate two-ply toilet paper and rationed out only 5 sheets per use to get as much use for his money as he could. :crazy: my friends wife was his personal care giver during his final days. she told many storys of his fanatical miser ways.

Just so that there is no misunderstanding:

"Niggard"

Noun:
A stingy or ungenerous person.
Synonyms: miser - skinflint - tightwad - scrooge - curmudgeon

Not to be confused with that other word....

We usually tip generously. One time we did not because when we sat down, two waitresses had a loud argument about which one of them was going to get 'stuck' with the table with all those kids. Really loud. We could all hear them, and so could the other customers, who all looked embarrassed.

Our children behaved very, very well at restaurants. We were often complimented on their behavior, and a couple of times a total stranger paid our bill because they liked seeing a happy family with well behaved children.

They were not arguing because of our children, but just because of our large family. And there was no reason to have that discussion where everybody in the restaurant could hear it.

We would have liked to leave, but we were traveling, and it was late, and we were hungry. We stayed, and ate quickly. Before the meal was halfway over the waitress who got 'stuck' with us was apologizing for being so rude. she said she hadn't known our kids would be so good. I understand that. But you still don't gripe in front of the customer.

We did complain, and we were given a free meal at another restaurant in the chain closer to our home.

Probably, My father in law's cousin had Alzheimer and passed away last year. He was worth almost millions and he is so CHEAP ever I know. Before he passed away, He was sending whole his money to the church.

My father in law gave me his cousin's vintage tools to me and they are useful for a diesel motor. :shock:

Just to let you know that not all people are bad or good tippers. There's a major differences in term of proportion of deaf population and hearing population. As you know the number of deaf people in the resturant are very small compare to number of hearing people in it. If one or two groups of hearing people gave a poor tips compared to the rest of the hearing people in that same resturant gave great tips. Ok? Think of that concept. As for waiteress, they get sterotyping of how they hear about deaf people giving a worst tippers. This happen in Rochester, NY.
Here's one story when I hanged out with group of terps during lunch hour, and we all signed. Suddenly, one terp noticed two waiteress from the distance, acting like in disgust talking together. Then one waiteress came to our table and bravely tried to sign "Hi" and she wrote her name down on paper. One of the terp said, "We are hearing" and the waiteress gave out a big relief and said "Oh! Sorry". One terp (who catch the waitress acting in disgust) asked, "Are you afraid to communicate with us because we are signing?" She said, "Oh no, communication is not a problem, they can point it out that is all. It's about deaf people giving us a bad tips!" Then one terp said, "Oh yeah we all know about that."
You know, major of deaf people go out and eat in low cost resturants like Denny's, iHop, Red Lobster and most of the watiresses complained about how deaf people give very low tips or none all, compare to mid to high end resturants. If deaf people go to expensive resturants and they are well aware of how much the tips will be in average, they tend to give out a good or decent tips. If deaf people go to Denny's.. of course some do give tips but how many time they tend to give out a very poor tips? You know when waiteresses see the frequency of when deaf people walk out with very low tips or none at all. That's where the waiteresses have a reason to act in disgust. It's because it's easy to detect deaf people compare to hearing people.

So, with this story above, you know sometime deaf people giving a very bad example of putting a poor tips, it's spread around the US and many of the waitresses heard the story. Same thing here, I'm sure all of you read it from other post about how once of the resturants not allow deaf people come back for deaf happy hour? You know we are small community and if deaf people giving a bad tips or left without paying, the rumors spread like a wildfire among the waitresses world. I mean it's too late now that there's no way to stop doing this. We are setting a bad example and stereotyping to them. Now just what happen to OP said... $1, just for a measly mistake over the water?? I'm sure the waiteress will act "NOW WHAT I DID WRONG???" She/he probably scramble him/herself figuring out what did she/he do wrong? Then she going to interpreted..."OH!! Deafies way!!" Great example Derek..you know?

It doesn't matter how much waiteresses makes, it'a all about US, we the deafies giving out a bad examples. If they are tight on money and don't want give out a tips.....com'on! Don't go! Be smart, If you can't afford $2.00 tips....Then don't buy anything else... like getting a $2.00 snacks at convienence store, or $2.00 just to buy newspaper. Wow, you can afford that?? I don't understand, you know?

Yes, I rant cuz I'm part of deaf groups and how waiteresses will look at me and my wife?? They going to view us as a poor tippers at first, but they are happy at the end.

I'll let everyone know that I did a personal secret study at our deaf social last night. There were 83 of us (62 actual deaf), however, some doubled-up on a check. So there were about 50 checks. Some paid by credit card, so I could not tell you if there was a tip nor, if there was, how much. I paid for myself and an ASL student and the bill was $23.28 and I gave $30.00 and "keep the change". That is very normal for me and this thread did not influence my tip.
I watched others and saw 6 tickets be taken care of the same way, but have no idea of the % of tip left because I did not see the bill. Of the 17 that I saw give cash and get change back, what was given as a tip amount to close to 10% on the average. But 6 left no tip on the table. IMO we all got the same good service, so there was no reason to not leave a tip.
My math could be off because of the credit card issue but I feel comfortable saying that 10% of the tickets resulted in no tip and, of those tipped, 15% were under tipped.
This is just one non-conclusive personal study and does not have any value otherwise.
But the results, for me alone, show me that the group I socialize with are poor tippers because considering the almost 2 1/2 hours of table time (as opposed to a table being turned around in less than an hour) this group should have tipped much better.

..."Are you afraid to communicate with us because we are signing?" She said, "Oh no, communication is not a problem, they can point it out that is all. It's about deaf people giving us a bad tips!" Then one terp said, "Oh yeah we all know about that."...
The waitress was unprofessional. None of the customers should have ever been aware that there was a "problem" about serving deaf customers. The servers should never display looks of disgust, be seen arguing over tables, or expressing their concern about tips.

...considering the almost 2 1/2 hours of table time (as opposed to a table being turned around in less than an hour) this group should have tipped much better.
True. Any group that stays much longer than normal should compensate the server for loss of turn around business. It's not a rule but it's reasonable compensation.

The waitress was unprofessional. None of the customers should have ever been aware that there was a "problem" about serving deaf customers. The servers should never display looks of disgust, be seen arguing over tables, or expressing their concern about tips.

That what terp first thought and yes it's unprofessional for her to act like this. That was back in the late 80's.

i tipped 5 cents once as a final insult back for that audist rude asshole waiter at IHOP in Flagstaff, Arizona in August of 2010 before on the way to Grand Canyon. He looked down at me and mocked at me when I tried to order what I wanted and pointed at the menu and drink. There was no utensils and no water on the table when I came to table from waiting seat in front of hostess desk. Everyone else (hearing) sitting besides ordered and got served with meals within 15-20...as for me, it took a hour and 20 min to serve me an iced tea drink. I finally got served with meal by asshole waiter...but i told him how can I eat them with my bare hands? Clearly, something was wrong with the picture.

Most deaf people are on SSD, SSI, SSDI..they are not enough wages to manage so hearings and restaurant staffs should not put blame on them and look down on them. My best friend used to wait a lot of different restaurants...most customers in her experience who didn't give a tip to her was the Blacks/African-Americans.

exactly why do you think why am I talking about the ones on street corners? and why do you expect girl to pay on first few dates?

actually - nice guys are the one with nice women in the end.... and happily married.

and since you're not a nice guy.... why is it that you're the last one in the race hhhhhmmmmmm?

you don't know that till you get in the car with them and that's when I would correct their behavior.

Are you like that hearing lady? [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxNMHxYk-3o]The Rider - YouTube[/ame]

Back