Does Society Treat the Blind any different and the Deaf?

You used to work for the NFB? Coincidentally, I happen to be an NFB member.

The NFB believes that canes are better than guide dogs, but I disagree. I think both of them have their pros and cons. It's up to each blind person to decide for themselves which mobility tool works best for them, if not both.

I agree. i think dogs are cool. the cane is just more practical right now.

You used to work for the NFB? Coincidentally, I happen to be an NFB member.

The NFB believes that canes are better than guide dogs, but I disagree. I think both of them have their pros and cons. It's up to each blind person to decide for themselves which mobility tool works best for them, if not both.

So, that's why we're knocking heads! :lol:

Dogs indicate a spirit whilst a cane indicates another spirit. Both have benefits and, both, have cons. A white cane, socially, indicates a status and declaration of independence from other living beings. Dogs indicate dependence upon other sensourial beings (pathology).

I disagree. The ability to see invites a sense of mobility and, thus, independence. You cannot see? You cannot move freely as if you can. Overcoming blindness is amazing. Very amazing.

I can't? Then explain to me how I was able to travel independently without being able to see OR hear to an out of state convention for the deafblind?

How would you like it if I said the same thing about the d/Deaf?

Blindness does *not* limit my ability to be mobile. Sighted people who think ignorant things like that have an awful lot to learn about blindness.

Obviously you didn't learn much from your employment experiences at the NFB. Their philosophy is that blindness is an a mere inconvenience -- not a disability.

Dogs indicate a spirit whilst a cane indicates another spirit. Both have benefits and, both, have cons. A white cane, socially, indicates a status and declaration of independence from other living beings. Dogs indicate dependence upon other sensourial beings (pathology).

i dont know they are both tools. one live the other dosent. thats the only difference. The NFB dosent like them but i dont know why. i went to one of there centers.

For your information, *I'm* the one who is in control when I travel with my guide dog. I tell her where to go -- not the other way around.

Blindness does *not* limit my ability to be mobile. Sighted people who think ignorant things like that have an awful lot to learn about blindness.

I never said that blindness limited your ability. I'd said that SOCIETY views blindness as a greater disability. Understood?

I never said that blindness limited your ability. I'd said that SOCIETY views blindness as a greater disability. Understood?

Actually, that's exactly what you said:

"You cannot see? You cannot move freely as if you can."

Got it?

I can't? Then explain to me how I was able to travel independently without being able to see OR hear to an out of state convention for the deafblind?

How would you like it if I said the same thing about the d/Deaf?

Obviously you didn't learn much from your employment experiences at the NFB. Their philosophy is that blindness is an a mere inconvenience -- not a disability.

:gpost: Thank you for saying what I wanted to say.

I'm sorry Wokamuka but it is your attitude and approach about the DeafBlind community truly disables us rather than enables us.

Quite surprisingly you claim to be employed before with the NFB, I would have been surprised with your approach.

You claim to be a bit further than others but I am sorry you are backwards emotionally and socially about the DeafBlind community in your posts.

Actually, that's exactly what you said:

"You cannot see? You cannot move freely as if you can."

Got it?

yup. Many sighted people really need to look around. If they did they would see a wealth of blind people moving around independently, and then they would see those that need some training because they dont.

yes. I was blindfolded. I believe that if i hadnt completed the training i would not be the successful college student i am.

I agree. I think very highly of NFB's training methods. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to attend an NFB training center. Instead, I attended a local blindness rehabilitation program in my own area.

I agree. I think very highly of NFB's training methods. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to attend an NFB training center. Instead, I attended a local blindness rehabilitation program in my own area.

cool. did you go to convention this year?

yup. Many sighted people really need to look around. If they did they would see a wealth of blind people moving around independently, and then they would see those that need some training because they dont.

You speaking of a social spirit? You'd missed the bullet. I'm sorry I was not more clear.

You speaking of a social spirit? You'd missed the bullet. I'm sorry I was not more clear.

i am saying that if sighted people would just look around and see the hundreds of blind people moving just like you instead of listening to people who dont know things would be different.

Back