Does Society Treat the Blind any different and the Deaf?

You should have spoken out, Mrs. Bucket, but I understand your reasons for not doing so. This young woman is studying to become a professional, and someone needs to tell her that such patronizing treatment of her patients will result in a failed practice!

I understand the motivations for not speaking out in this situation, but to be frank, I think they're silly. To relay what a deafblind woman I completely adore expressed, we are (and we put ourselves under) the expectations of either dealing with the public treating us like children and asking invasive questions, or being 'angry disabled people' that don't live up to their 'responsibility to educate' the public.

If being an angry disabled person is the reason why people don't get away with patting me on the head or marveling on how I really did walk down the hall all by myself.. I vote being an angry disabled person.

Seriously, you just can't take things like that. It's not your responsibility to educate her, but it is your responsibility to expect people to treat you with whatever respect they'd have for you if you were able-bodied.

I don't speak out either when people do things that annoy me. Well sometimes I do. It depends what mood I am in. My problem is that I just can't be polite about it, so being that the case it's probably better just not to say anything rather then shout at people.

I purchased a roller tip for my much-hated and rarely used ambutech folding cane and it was awful! the amount of force required to roll the thing around is much greater than lifting a light-tipped cane (the fact that ambutech canes weigh more than NFB canes definately not helping matters), and aside from getting caught in just about everything and slowing me down, it didn't really give me any more feedback. I don't know how on earth you can use it.

I also use a roller tip and find it quite helpful in providing tactual clues. I have to use a roller tip because of the severe carpal tunnel I have in my left wrist and inability to physically lift my cane for two or three point touch. I use straight canes made by WCIB because I don't like the feel of Ambutech canes.

I also have a glow in the dark straight cane made by California Canes that I use whenever I travel at night. I've had mine for the past several years and its' illumination is still as bright as it was the day it was purchased.

I've thought more about Mrs. Bucket's situation and feel this way: If it had been me, I would have said something because I think it's inapproprate, offensive and insulting to treat a DBP that way. Something that always seems to happen to me are people who talk to me in a high pitched baby voice because I'm short and small. Whenever people do this kind of thing to me, I always ask them why they are speaking to me like that and to treat me like the adult that I am.

I purchased a roller tip for my much-hated and rarely used ambutech folding cane and it was awful! the amount of force required to roll the thing around is much greater than lifting a light-tipped cane (the fact that ambutech canes weigh more than NFB canes definately not helping matters), and aside from getting caught in just about everything and slowing me down, it didn't really give me any more feedback. I don't know how on earth you can use it.

Roller tips come in several different sizes. I use the largest size and have never had a problem with it getting caught in anything.

I also use a roller tip and find it quite helpful in providing tactual clues. I have to use a roller tip because of the severe carpal tunnel I have in my left wrist and inability to physically lift my cane for two or three point touch. I use straight canes made by WCIB because I don't like the feel of Ambutech canes.

I also have a glow in the dark straight cane made by California Canes that I use whenever I travel at night. I've had mine for the past several years and its' illumination is still as bright as it was the day it was purchased.

Same with me. I really like using a Roller tip. The only disadvantage I can see is when it falls off as I use it a lot when I am in the park and Jilli is alowed to have a break and run free off lead. I also use it now in places where Jilli has stopped working properly.

Same with me. I really like using a Roller tip. The only disadvantage I can see is when it falls off as I use it a lot when I am in the park and Jilli is alowed to have a break and run free off lead. I also use it now in places where Jilli has stopped working properly.

i've never had a roller tip fall off of my cane. then again, california canes is really good about securing them tightly so that they don't fall off. i'm not sure how well they stay secured to other cane brands because i haven't tried them before, but so far, i've been very pleased with california canes.

I am curious. If you don't mind, would you explain exactly how a cane works? I am sure it is totally different than using a stick. Thanks for taking the time to explain. :)

I am curious. If you don't mind, would you explain exactly how a cane works? I am sure it is totally different than using a stick. Thanks for taking the time to explain. :)

Blind people don't use "sticks." The proper term is "white cane" or "cane."

Canes are used to detect objects in front of one's path, drop-offs, doorways, ground texture, curbs and serves as a means of identification to drivers.

When using a cane, blind people may employ several different cane techniques depending on the environment they are traveling in. For example, when traveling outdoors, blind people use what is known as the "two point touch" technique where the cane is tapped from left to right slightly beyond one's footsteps. As the cane is tapped to the left, the right foot moves forward. Conversely, when the cane is moved to the right, the left foot moves forward.

There is also a technique called the "three point touch" which is used to maintain orientation when walking along shoulders of the road as well as to locate driveways and determine how high a snowbank is.

Canes can also be used to maintain one's balance when stepping onto and over a snowbank.

I've also used my cane as a "feeler" to remove dropped objects from the back of furniture or underneath tables. LOL.

If you'd like to learn more about the several different stages of cane techniques and thier meaning, here is an excellent article written by Donna Sauerburger, a well-known and respected O&M instructor:

http://www.sauerburger.org/dona/cane.htm

Here's another article which explains why keeping in step with the cane is so important:

http://www.sauerburger.org/dona/edge.htm

Here's an article which discusses how to align oneself for a street crossing:

http://www.sauerburger.org/dona/align

Finally, here are several articles which explain how to cross streets with and without traffic signals as well as roundabouts:

http://www.sauerburger.org/dona/cross.htm

i've never had a roller tip fall off of my cane. then again, california canes is really good about securing them tightly so that they don't fall off. i'm not sure how well they stay secured to other cane brands because i haven't tried them before, but so far, i've been very pleased with california canes.

With my ambutech folding cane, it securely hooked into the double cord holding the folding sections together, instead of being slipped over the actual cane. It would have been extremely difficult, if not impossible, to accidentally lose the tip unless the inner 'hook' holding onto the cord broke off, or both pieces of cord tore.

I've wanted to try a california cane, but they're impossible to find for me. Do you know somewhere I can contact to get one?

With my ambutech folding cane, it securely hooked into the double cord holding the folding sections together, instead of being slipped over the actual cane. It would have been extremely difficult, if not impossible, to accidentally lose the tip unless the inner 'hook' holding onto the cord broke off, or both pieces of cord tore.

I've wanted to try a california cane, but they're impossible to find for me. Do you know somewhere I can contact to get one?

hi aleser,

here is the website for california canes:

Welcome to California Canes - The Traveler's Choice

their e-mail is:

info@californiacanes.com

fyi, soon california canes will no longer be accepting orders on their website. instead, you will have to order their canes through various distributors listed on their website.

The roller tip is hooked on so the whole tip didn't fall off. Just the roller bit at the end ges seperated from the main bit. Maybe it's just my bad habit of using my cane for support sometimes.

Back