Does Society Treat the Blind any different and the Deaf?

The idea that him 'getting around without a cane' is obviously seen as an accomplishment really, really irks me. It's on the line of saying "deaf children can get by with just their residual hearing- they don't really need sign or speechreading"- except in this case, he's putting himself in danger. A person who is blind is a person who is blind, totally blind or not. And we need canes. Because canes mean safety, identification especially at streets, and an overall sense of self-acceptance and independence. There is nothing to be proud of by not using a cane.

Re the comment about following pedestrians: pedestrians DO cross when it's not their signal. When I lived in chicago, they did this more often than they walked on their correct signal. That is a fact, and not accepting that and judging for yourself when it is safe to cross.. is asking to become roadkill. Because blind people HAVE died when they crossed with the assurance of pedestrians or motorists.

I also agree with this. At one stage I had more sight and didn't 'need' a cane but I found that with a cane I walked so much faster and with much more confidence. I also found I could keep an eye on Jilli while navigating with my cane at the same time.

I also agree with this. At one stage I had more sight and didn't 'need' a cane but I found that with a cane I walked so much faster and with much more confidence. I also found I could keep an eye on Jilli while navigating with my cane at the same time.

dreama,

By the last sentence of your post, do you mean that you use a cane at the same time Jilli guides you in harness?

dreama,

By the last sentence of your post, do you mean that you use a cane at the same time Jilli guides you in harness?

Not back then. I used a cane while I was at the park where Jilli was alowed off lead.

Now I'm having more problems with sight, I use dog and cane intermitantly. Sometimes Jilli stops and I unclip her and use my cane. She's getting older now. So she's a part time guide dog at the moment. When She's fully retired I may use a cane so I can keep Jilli as a pet. I don't want to be separate from her as we've been though so much together. Besides I think a few years of cane travel will do my mobility good. So I know how to use both.

Not back then. I used a cane while I was at the park where Jilli was alowed off lead.

Now I'm having more problems with sight, I use dog and cane intermitantly. Sometimes Jilli stops and I unclip her and use my cane. She's getting older now. So she's a part time guide dog at the moment. When She's fully retired I may use a cane so I can keep Jilli as a pet. I don't want to be separate from her as we've been though so much together. Besides I think a few years of cane travel will do my mobility good. So I know how to use both.

I agree about the importance of being able to use a cane and guide dog. My guide dog Tigger is 12 years old. Fortunately, she's in excellent health, but I still try to keep my cane skills up to par in the event she needs to be retired.

How old is Jilli?

Jilli is only 9 and a half. She will be 10 in April. However, She is also used to guiding someone with useful vision. I now have severe light sensitivity and cannot see anything at all in most lighting conditions.

Jilli is only 9 and a half. She will be 10 in April. However, She is also used to guiding someone with useful vision. I now have severe light sensitivity and cannot see anything at all in most lighting conditions.

Is that what is called photophobia, dreama? Also, do you wear sunglasses or tinted lenses to minimize light and glare?

I know that anyone blind, by nature, will be considered exceptional. The greatest respect and pathological attitude is reserved for those who cannot see.

A lot of people treat blind people differently like we are stupid or dont know anything. Personally, i am in college and have good grades, but people see me waiting for the bus, and call the cops. can i not take care of myself?

A lot of people treat blind people differently like we are stupid or dont know anything. Personally, i am in college and have good grades, but people see me waiting for the bus, and call the cops. can i not take care of myself?

Seriously? People have actually called the cops on you while you were waiting for the bus? Sheesh. I've had people grab me while I'm walking down the street, but I've never had anyone call the cops on me.

I know that anyone blind, by nature, will be considered exceptional. The greatest respect and pathological attitude is reserved for those who cannot see.

Wokamuka, I don't need to be placed on anyone's pedestal. I'm no worse or no better than anyone else. The only difference between me and a sighted person is that I can't see. When you say things like this, you make blind people sound like they should be pitied and blindness like an insurmountable disability that cannot be overcome.

yes, i was standing waiting for the bus, and someone called the cops. so they showed up to talk to me.

I was on a public bus to a Super Wal-Mart. A corner turned, there was a lady with blindfolds on with a white cane and a guy, without blindfolds, with a cane. People took notice - they gasped.

I'd said, "The one with the blindfold is under training." They were relieved.

As a former employee of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB), I guess I'm a little further than others on this issue.

Dogs or canes?

I was on a public bus to a Super Wal-Mart. A corner turned, there was a lady with blindfolds on with a white cane and a guy, without blindfolds, with a cane. People took notice - they gasped.

As a former employee of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB), I guess I'm a little further than others on this issue.

Dogs or canes?

I did that. the training with blindfold. I use the long white NFB cane. they rock!!!!

i agree on both accounts. being blind dosent mean everything you do is amazing.

I disagree. The ability to see invites a sense of mobility and, thus, independence. You cannot see? You cannot move freely as if you can. Overcoming blindness is amazing. Very amazing.

I disagree. The ability to see invites a sense of mobility and, thus, independence. You cannot see? You cannot move freely as if you can. Overcoming blindness is amazing. Very amazing.

so i use a cane, and i ride public transportation. other than that i am no different in my travel.

Dogs or canes?

You used to work for the NFB? Coincidentally, I happen to be an NFB member.

The NFB believes that canes are better than guide dogs, but I disagree. I think both of them have their pros and cons. It's up to each blind person to decide for themselves which mobility tool works best for them, if not both.

Back