Do you want to visit Russia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jiro,

Sorry I strong disagree with most of your posts. I will be back for correct your posts later. I agree with Puyo mostly. Yes, Puyio is correct that all countries want money from tourists which is normal.

I had been experienced in Africa... Oh yes, they want money... We paid to go in their home to look around... and throw sweets away to children to grab..... France is my neighbor... I went there dozen of times... French prefer to speak their own language over speak English.

as expected from you. Naturally - you disagreed with pretty much everything I say. Like I said - I've heard of many stories from Trekkers who traveled to Africa. You hear your own stories about they wanting money. I'm sorry but that's your POV. I have my own POV. Let's leave at that. Nobody's right here. Some wants money, some doesn't.

:lol: it´s not a culture in America to smile and greet strangers but people itself.

If you said that it´s culture in America to smile and greet strangers which mean that there´re NONE of racists, crimes, unfriendly, etc. etc. in America ... It make no sense.
uh..... Racism is everywhere. we are not immune to it and neither are you. You're talking about some few bad apples and it's never a true representation of whole. I have been to North, South, West, and East. It's a stereotype that Southerners are racist and a birthplace of Klu Klux Klan. I'm a minority and naturally - I was afraid about living in South since it's predominantly white. But... that didn't stop me from living in Virginia for 3 years. In my 24 years of my life in USA (the first 3 years in Korea which I have no memory of it) - I have encountered a very few racist people (the KKK-like type). It is in Americans' especially American tourists' cultural belief that smiling and waving at stranger is best way to be friendly.... which other foreigners may view it as "fishy."

It explains what American culture is about.

WHAT IS AMERICAN CULTURE?

Culture of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There´re many cultures in America because of many different races, culture backgrounds and mentalities. There´re only one true American culture is Native American.

Excuse me? Are you educating me on American culture? That's seriously messed up... coming from a person who never lived in America. I'm appalled. Why are you doubting what Reba and I are trying to tell you? We're Americans. You're not. See anything wrong with this picture? :roll:

I'm sorry but the America is not predominantly Native American so that culture is "dead."

as expected from you. Naturally - you disagreed with pretty much everything I say. Like I said - I've heard of many stories from Trekkers who traveled to Africa. You hear your own stories about they wanting money. I'm sorry but that's your POV. I have my own POV. Let's leave at that. Nobody's right here. Some wants money, some doesn't.

uh..... Racism is everywhere. we are not immune to it and neither are you. You're talking about some few bad apples and it's never a true representation of whole. I have been to North, South, West, and East. It's a stereotype that Southerners are racist and a birthplace of Klu Klux Klan. I'm a minority and naturally - I was afraid about living in South since it's predominantly white. But... that didn't stop me from living in Virginia for 3 years. In my 24 years of my life in USA (the first 3 years in Korea which I have no memory of it) - I have encountered a very few racist people (the KKK-like type). It is in Americans' especially American tourists' cultural belief that smiling and waving at stranger is best way to be friendly.... which other foreigners may view it as "fishy."

Excuse me? Are you educating me on American culture? That's seriously messed up... coming from a person who never lived in America. I'm appalled. Why are you doubting what Reba and I are trying to tell you? We're Americans. You're not. See anything wrong with this picture? :roll:

I'm sorry but the America is not predominantly Native American so that culture is "dead."

Yup, Jiro, I have agree with you.

Liebling made no sense about what's our culture means, social and friendliness are part of culture, period and she don't exactly understand about meet with strangers in our country.

Improper to use teach of American culture is result in offend us, or insult to any Americans who born in USA and fully know about culture.

Uhh...I think you better re-think that comment....

Native American culture is alive and well in this country. :)

It's very pronounced in the desert Southwest, the Plains, and in the Northwest with their own reservations.

Uhh...I think you better re-think that comment....

Native American culture is alive and well in this country. :)

It's very pronounced in the desert Southwest, the Plains, and in the Northwest with their own reservations.

which is why I put quotation because I know it's not dead and gone forever. but point is - America culture is not predominantly Native American.

which is why I put quotation because I know it's not dead and gone forever. but point is - America culture is not predominantly Native American.

Yes that's true as we know it now.

But shame on our ancestors for the way they were treated.

Are you referring to Indians? Most Indians were buried somewhere on the hills with no mark on the grave. The Union armies destroyed all Indian documents. No mention about cowboy/cowgirls' graveyards (not from a church's cemetery) in the old days?

I wonder if there is another culture in Russia during the "cowboy era" - like Indians (not from India).

Are you referring to Indians? Most Indians were buried somewhere on the hills with no mark on the grave. The Union armies destroyed all Indian documents. No mention about cowboy/cowgirls' graveyards (not from a church's cemetery) in the old days?

I wonder if there is another culture in Russia during the "cowboy era" - like Indians (not from India).

you know what's messed up? one of the biggest malls I go frequently is built on top of Indian cemetery.... :Ohno:

Interesting that you mentioend this....

When the Union soldiers occupied Savannah, Georgia, they went and desecrated the tombstones in the local cemetary as they were bored.

Plus the spirits didn't appreciate what was done and that is why Savannah is considered one of the most haunted cities in this country.......

Legend now says that "People died before they were born."

sorry!!! topic off!!!

Honestly, i see, in germany and in america are different culture.
i saw, here stand too many USA flag. in germany,rarely. I do know why? american PPL are proud of USA flag. in germany PPL can not say that we are proud our flag, but keep in their mind. that is all!!
i guess yes, american PPL are friendly. But someone told me, that some american PPL are fake to smiling.
surprised me, i always go to Foods store and cashier are soo friendly. they said, "How are you?". In germany do rarely. i know, it is too hard to be friendly PPL from germany. I can't help!!! But germany is in my heart. america is second. Because i love german language, foods, country, friends, nightlife... :)

sorry!!! topic off!!!

Honestly, i see, in germany and in america are different culture.
i saw, here stand too many USA flag. in germany,rarely. I do know why? american PPL are proud of USA flag. in germany PPL can not say that we are proud our flag, but keep in their mind. that is all!!
i guess yes, american PPL are friendly. But someone told me, that some american PPL are fake to smiling.
surprised me, i always go to Foods store and cashier are soo friendly. they said, "How are you?". In germany do rarely. i know, it is too hard to be friendly PPL from germany. I can't help!!! But germany is in my heart. america is second. Because i love german language, foods, country, friends, nightlife... :)

wow that's interesting.... it's sad that they can't display their flag proudly... and yes you're right - TOO MANY USA flags waving around here. it's kinda funny.

and yes sometimes people do fake smile but hey... at least they smiled, right? lol smiling even fake is always a good way to make strangers feel comfortable.

Going right back on track, Id probably would visit Russia but not for long. Also I wouldnt go there untill after Ihasve gained experience in other 'safer' countries, but then again, it is safest to travel the most expensive way - saying within the tourism circumference and not treading out, but then again you'd would only see the artifical side of their country, and not real people and not getting real taste of their culture. only on what they want you to see, or at least what is been directed by those dominating tourist industry there.
Italy, Germany, Canada, USA, Japan are places I'd like to see first...but hell Japan might be too hard to reach awfully Expensive !!! So I dont imagine going there anytime soon.

When Hubby visited Ukraine, he had to wait several hours in the Frankfurt, Germany, airport, both coming and going. While he was sitting in the waiting room, he noticed that the German travelers kept to themselves, and didn't chat with other travelers. He said that the only Germans who chatted were family members who chatted a little bit among themselves. He could tell which travelers were Americans. They started conversations with people sitting next to them or across from them. They also chatted with people while waiting in lines.

He said the only smiling and friendly people in Germany and Ukraine were service industry people--that is, waiters, waitresses, airport desk clerks, shop keepers, etc. Ordinary people on the street, in the airports, in parks, etc., were not friendly. Whenever anyone in his visitor group tried to be friendly with Germans or Ukrainians, they were either ignored or looked at suspiciously. Hubby said it was a spooky feeling.

It wasn't just the language difference because some people in his group were bilingual. Also, smiles don't require language.

Hubby said when he visited Italy and Spain, Italians (except in the restaurants) weren't friendly but Spaniards were very friendly.

When Hubby visited Guam, the Philippines, and Japan, he said that the Japanese (except in the service industries) weren't friendly, some Filipinos were friendly, some not, and the Guamanians were mostly friendly.

That doesn't mean they are bad people; it just means that their culture is different.

..If you said that it´s culture in America to smile and greet strangers which mean that there´re NONE of racists, crimes, unfriendly, etc. etc. in America ... It make no sense.
Your statement makes no sense. Withing every culture, there are always some people who don't stay within the norms of that culture. That doesn't mean the culture itself is invalid; it means that people are individuals, which includes some anti-social, dysfunctional, rebellious, and personality disordered individuals who commit crimes and racist behaviors.

The majority of Americans fit within the American culture description. There are regional and personality variations, of course, but in general that's the American culture.

A school project paper and Wiki? Not very authoritative sources.

There´re many cultures in America because of many different races, culture backgrounds and mentalities.
That's the point. It's the blend of immigrant cultures and the pioneer spirit of the early settlers that make up the American culture.

There´re only one true American culture is Native American.
There never was a single "Native American" culture. The tribes of each area had their own unique cultures. Some of them have maintained their cultures in modified ways, within restricted regions, such as reservations. But it never was a national culture.

Don´t pretend that you don´t remember or :confused:... If you don´t remember that you can search your posts yourself to fresh your memory what we discuss at several threads in the past how to talk stranger, etc. and protect children from look up the adult etc... Several threads for several years until last summer.
There is a HUGE difference between teaching children not to talk to strangers when they are alone, and adults showing friendliness to strangers.

The main point there is, children shouldn't be left alone in a vulnerable situation.

To me, they are "strangers" because I don´t know what kind of life they lead to and what they doing at their private... we are not friends but I only know them from the public, I see every saturday.
Those aren't strangers or friends, so they could be called "acquaintances."

You should say this at several threads in the past. It would confused the children when they look up their parents´ role for to know it´s okay to chat with strangers, they never meet before because the parents teach their children to not talk with strangers... It would make children :scratch:
No, it's not confusing. Little children shouldn't be roaming streets alone, so they won't be in that situation. They will see and model the appropriate way to behave in public.

That´s why we european acts like that because we want our children look up our role.
Is that why European adults are paranoid about strangers?

I guess Americans are bolder and more willing to take chances. We don't like to be incapacitated by fear. It's the freedom thing. Sometimes freedom is risky and comes at a cost but it's worth it. :)

This is your opinion. I don´t :) or :D to strangers down the street, I never see before. I was being taught to not do that.
That proves that European and American cultures are different.

It´s not normal to me... :crazy:
In America, it's normal behavior. :)

If you do like that, then the children will look up at you... and would do the same...
That's good. :)

You know there´re some bad strangers, we as children or adult thought they are friendly...
That's why children aren't allowed to roam the streets alone.

Also, did you know that if someone is a "bad" stranger he'll do his badness whether or not someone smiles at him? Not smiling at a bad stranger will not prevent any crime.

But the resturant owners or any business shop owners greet or smile at us friendly when they stand outside of their resturant and shops. We smile friendly back to them... They try to get us go in and buy something from them... It´s normal...
Yes, but it's also sad if the only smiles come from people who want your money. It's a lot nicer when everyone is friendly. :)

No, Reba know very well what I am talking about because I remember our discussion about bad and good strangers everywhere and how to protect the children... also adult as well in several threads until last summer 2008. Now she said different here and find okay to smile and talk to strangers, she never see before.
Children shouldn't talk to strangers when they are alone. The key is not to let children be alone with adult strangers.

We (Europeans) were being taught to not talk the strangers down the street, we never see and met. We also were being taught to aware that there´re many good and bad strangers everywhere... unless we are in or out of resturants or shop owners to talk "strangers".
Exactly. This is a cultural difference. American children are taught differently.

Ugh, you don't understand,

Don´t tell me to not understand but I do... If I want to visit different countries then learn their culture, tradition, mentatity, etc. before visit because I want to show my respect them.

it's actually part of America culture for different social and friendliness,

I do understand because I travel almost half the world and know their different mentality and personality/character due culture background. Yes, American's friendly has nothing do with America's culture but person's own personality/character itself that's how they were being taught... I don't fuss about their mentality but respect what they are and find normal... I do not expect their friendly but accept what they are... To me, I don't see the difference when I was in USA.

they probably think you are really different person or weird person or something.

Excuse me, you don´t know me but many ADers know me in real life. I would find weird if American stranger come to me to make hint "Hi, how are you?...." It´s American way... thank God, they act normal and smile at me as same as I smile back to them like here in Germany

I found difference when went to Orlando for vacation, that where heavily tourists from UK went to Orlando for vacation during summertime and I found out that UK tourists are less friendly than American tourists when come with strangers, I had asked one of my friend and he said it's true. UK tourists are always goes with themselves. I had asked my parent about remember to visit London in 13 years ago, they said same thing, people in UK are more unfriendly when come with strangers too.

This is your POV.

Only problem, you aren't resident of US for many years,

I work together with Americans for over 23 years and know their mentalities. I was being taught to know America´s culture by school and learn a lot by American co-workers and also American Forum as well and also visit USA last year which is good enough for me to know America´s culture.

Reba knows more about anything.

I am Liebling, not Reba. :)

Hubby reminded me about something. He said, "Remember when the Berlin Wall first came down? West Germans weren't even friendly to East Germans. They didn't want to share their country with 'others'. They should have been thrilled with their freedom and reunited families but it wasn't enough. It was shocking to see the West Germans' hostile reaction."

Although the physical barrier between east and west is a thing of the past, many Germans still speak about the "Mauer im Kopf" -- the Wall in the head.

In Berlin today, there's very little left of the Berlin Wall. Even those who've lived here all their lives have difficulty remembering exactly where it used to be. But if every fifth person in Germany had their way, the barrier that split the country during the Cold War would be resurrected.

A recent poll conducted by the Forsa research institute found that a quarter of West Germans wished the Berlin Wall could be rebuilt, while 12 percent of East Germans said they didn't want to live in a united Germany...

Stereotypes about East and West are stubborn. East Germans think of westerners as "Besser-Wessies," or arrogant know-it-alls. West Germans, in turn, roll their eyes about the "Jammer Ossies," or whining easterners....
Breaking Down the Wall in the Head | Culture & Lifestyle | Deutsche Welle | 03.10.2004

Don´t tell me to not understand but I do... If I want to visit different countries then learn their culture, tradition, mentatity, etc. before visit because I want to show my respect them.

I do understand because I travel almost half the world and know their different mentality and personality/character due culture background. Yes, American's friendly has nothing do with America's culture but person's own personality/character itself that's how they were being taught... I don't fuss about their mentality but respect what they are and find normal... I do not expect their friendly but accept what they are... To me, I don't see the difference when I was in USA.

Excuse me, you don´t know me but many ADers know me in real life. I would find weird if American stranger come to me to make hint "Hi, how are you?...." It´s American way... thank God, they act normal and smile at me as same as I smile back to them like here in Germany

This is your POV.

I work together with Americans for over 23 years and know their mentalities. I was being taught to know America´s culture by school and learn a lot by American co-workers and also American Forum as well and also visit USA last year which is good enough for me to know America´s culture.

I am Liebling, not Reba. :)

You have no idea about how is crap, you aren't resident of USA then that's BIG difference for you, don't bring up any debate about different culture in our country and don't teach us about how our culture works or we could feel offended and losing your respect due improper to performs it.

Let repeat, Reba knows more, period and don't say your name.

Edit, If you continue to way like that then that's fine but you would losing my respect, same with some other Americans.

Last edited:
I would love to pay visit in Russia but prefer someone w/me.. beside make me feel safe. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back