Do you want to visit Russia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is hopeless. Liebling, are you a sociologist? Anthropologist? Sound like you're lecturing us on what's American culture and what's not. Why are you disagreeing with us just because of what you experienced? 23 years in American military base IS NOT THE SAME AS 23 years of living in USA. Your POV and Experience are as TOURIST, not RESIDENT.

OK? OK? OK?

this is very frustrating. I give up. I'll just nod and listen and believe everything you say. You sound like an expert.
bert.gif

Huh? Please open your mind and use common sense. I am not here to lecture you ALL about America´s culture but talk about just ONE point is "FRIENDLY TALK WITH STRANGER" is America´s culture, I DISAGREE... Just one little word... Don´t make biggie over my disagree on just one point "friendly talk with strangers" as a country´s culture, not more than that... :roll:

Huh? Please open your mind and use common sense. I am not here to lecture you ALL about America´s culture but talk about just ONE point is "FRIENDLY TALK WITH STRANGER" is America´s culture, I DISAGREE... Just one little word... Don´t make biggie over my disagree on just one point "friendly talk with strangers" as a country´s culture, not more than that... :roll:

and I thought you're open-minded? If you were that open-minded, then you wouldn't disagree with us very much and should be humble enough to understand.

and we don't use wikipedia for school. we have something called encyclopedia and library. I feel sorry for your sons... all these misinformation and disinformation and biased info... I suggest that you should take your sons to library and show them encyclopedia. that's how you prepare them for college.

Of course there´re library in the school, my both sons used. They also allow to search the internet to compare.... as well...

To me, wikipedia is not biased information because they add plenty of sources in the list... we can search and read... I have look at wikipedia and use my judgement... I do not see anything negative about wikipeida... To me, they spread good information... and add sources. It´s helpful. It doesn´t mean that wikipedia is 100% accurate but not negative or biased as what you claim but it´s helpful.

FYI: You don´t need to feel sorry for my both sons... they goes well and their school report is pretty good... My 15 years old son attend his first college last Sept. :)

Yes I agree that it has nothing do with clean for the tourists... It´s their culture... I know what it is about because we were in Sinpagore... wow, very clean and environment-friendly... Accord their rule, do not chew the gum, eat, drink or smoke by walking down to the public... If I want to eat or drink or whatever then I have to look for bench with smoking tray top of the rubbish bin... near bench... we sat down and have our lunch then throw them away to rubbish bin... $1,000 fine penalty or clean the street until end of vacation if they caught me throw something on the street or road instead of rubbish bin... Very clean... like what you described about Japan´s culture... clean and polite... it´s their culture... Very friendly people... to China Town with different culture, also India Town with different culture, ..... very interesting...

Yeah I notice that, people have to stay in a place while eat or drink or whatever. I know it's interesting :)

Yes I agree that I aware that it´s not all people are friendly... it´s just individuals who is different as other individuals... You are lucky to meet friendly japanesse but others not... It does the same here in Europe countries as well... I have no problem with French people but you see different... which is normal... Many Americans said that Europe are friendly but other Americans said that they are unfriendly... Each is different... It look like that some Americans label their country is number one in the world is friendly and label it as culture... :roll:

Exactly :) We all have different experience and different people to meet.

Yes, I agree that Africa is poor country... The Africans want money for let us in their home to look around... We understand that they need money for their living... I want to take pictures of Africans but they scared... some want money for take pictures.

I don´t experience in Bahamas... interesting...

Wow, sounds sad about Africa.. Yeah The Bahamas is poor country, but unlikely Mexico, they don't pry for money and just acting peace.

Interesting, curious why do you feel like this... what difference between Japan and America?

Well I live in Vancouver/Portland metro area which are not that tight like I've seen in Tokyo, in Tokyo every building are very close to each other, there are no such a one floor building, there are probably 10-20 floors building on average. In Vancouver, Washington which are my city, there are plentifully of lands, every houses are fairly spaced out and not so many of building in downtown that are tall like Tokyo, that applies to Portland too. Also the people in my area are not that crowdly or very busy like Tokyo, also most of people here are more relax and only help when asked, very few would help without asking. There are a lot of poles having the paper sticking on it while Tokyo, there are nothing. Also most of the areas in my location are not really pederstation friendly while Tokyo have high pederstation friendly like they have the stairway to walk over the road instead of waiting till the road become empty. Also, I didn't get used with seeing so many bums on the street neither :lol:

I can understand your POV over French and from what you see them... but I don´t have problem with them and their friendly because we understand French little to keep them happy because we are there in France... They don´t speak Germans but just English and France... I know and respect their mentatliy and culture.

Yeah same here, I don't complain that they act like snob, I already know it was their culture so I just patiently and ask if they can help and try to act like them to learn the difference of culture, it's fun :)

Of course, every country don´t do for just tourists. Its about their own culture, we should show our respect to. If I want to visit their country then I have to learn about their culture, tradition, custom, mentatliy, etc. before visit and respect them.

Of course

Willkommen :)

and we don't use wikipedia for school. we have something called encyclopedia and library. I feel sorry for your sons... all these misinformation and disinformation and biased info... I suggest that you should take your sons to library and show them encyclopedia. that's how you prepare them for college.

When I was in high school, I passed the Senior Project by using Wikipedia. The Wikipedia was very helpfully because it give me more sources to catch up with the requirements. :dunno:

and I thought you're open-minded? If you were that open-minded, then you wouldn't disagree with us very much and should be humble enough to understand.

Yes, I am pretty open mind and learn alot about America´s culture and other countries´s culture as well... which is very different as here in Germany... I really have no problem with that... Read my respond post to Sunshinelady what I experienced in USA over flag, etc. Is it negative when I find interesting what I learn about USA when I was in USA? We exhange our POV over our countries... we can share the agree to disagree... what´s wrong with that... ? Are you open mind to exchange the POV and share the agree to disagree?

If you are open mind then respect my POV and allow to disagree with me, not take my post personally and label America as a friendly culture in the world and label other countries negative way...

Visiting Russia isn't my priority on my future travel list. Altho, my cousin married a gal who was from Russia. They currently live in NYC right now.

When I was in high school, I passed the Senior Project by using Wikipedia. The Wikipedia was very helpfully because it give me more sources to catch up with the requirements. :dunno:

:ty: for interesting exchange over cultures, we experienced...

Yes, very true... I see the same thing as you over wikipedia... :dunno:

then you're in for shock once you get into college. It's an automatic failure if you use wikipedia as source and that's the fact, not opinion. The professor will look at your cites first and first thing he does when seeing wikipedia in citation, he will either use your paper as a backup for toilet paper or for his coffee cup.

Of course there´re library in the school, my both sons used. They also allow to search the internet to compare.... as well...

To me, wikipedia is not biased information because they add plenty of sources in the list... we can search and read... I have look at wikipedia and use my judgement... I do not see anything negative about wikipeida... To me, they spread good information... and add sources. It´s helpful. It doesn´t mean that wikipedia is 100% accurate but not negative or biased as what you claim but it´s helpful.

FYI: You don´t need to feel sorry for my both sons... they goes well and their school report is pretty good... My 15 years old son attend his first college last Sept. :)

I strongly forbid using wikipedia as part of research for ANY grade. It is NOT a good way to build a foundation for kids learning about how to research anything. Why not use encyclopedia source first instead of wikipedia? they're available online as well. Why waste your time comparing and confirming wikipedia information with other source? Why not use REAL SOURCE of information first? it's called encyclopedia.

for ie - Britannica

Yes, I am pretty open mind and learn alot about America´s culture and other countries´s culture as well... which is very different as here in Germany... I really have no problem with that... Read my respond post to Sunshinelady what I experienced in USA over flag, etc. Is it negative when I find interesting what I learn about USA when I was in USA? We exhange our POV over our countries... we can share the agree to disagree... what´s wrong with that... ? Are you open mind to exchange the POV and share the agree to disagree?

If you are open mind then respect my POV and allow to disagree with me, not take my post personally and label America as a friendly culture in the world and label other countries negative way...

huh? WTF? It is UTTERLY HOPELESS to talk to you. Where did I say we are the most friendly country in the world? I SAID IT IS OUR CULTURE TO SMILE AND WAVE AT STRANGERS.... just as much as it's a culture in Russia to hug and kiss on both cheeks.

PLEASE educate us and enlighten us what is American culture?

I strongly forbid using wikipedia as part of research for ANY grade. It is NOT a good way to build a foundation for kids learning about how to research anything. Why not use encyclopedia source first instead of wikipedia? they're available online as well. Why waste your time comparing and confirming wikipedia information with other source? Why not use REAL SOURCE of information first? it's called encyclopedia.

for ie - Britannica

Oh yes, that´s exact link what my boys look at similar "Britannica" (German websites) here... Yes they look both wikipedia and encyclopedia...

Yes I would agree with you that encyclophedia is good one like what the link, you provide "Britannica"... :ty: for that English link. I will look both English and German to compare...

huh? WTF? It is UTTERLY HOPELESS to talk to you. Where did I say we are the most friendly country in the world? I SAID IT IS OUR CULTURE TO SMILE AND WAVE AT STRANGERS.... just as much as it's a culture in Russia to hug and kiss on both cheeks.

*sigh* I am not saying that you said that but you make it look like that America is friendly culture in the world because you call "friendly talk with strangers" as an America´s culture, that´s all.

Now you said "smile and wave to strangers", not talk with strangers like what Reba said... Yes we smile each other when we don´t have to talk each other by pass walk... I assume that many countries did the same thing when we look each other then smile...by walk pass. It´s natural thing, when the people want to smile without talk with you as a stranger, not culture itself... :shrug:

But Reba said "TALK with strangers", not just "smile and wave each other" by walk pass like what you said here.

Anyway, about Russians :hug: and kiss on both cheek. It´s not just Russian but Germany and some European countries as well.

PLEASE educate us and enlighten us what is American culture?

Why do I repeat when I already explain what America´s culture is about and also 2 links as well? Do you read my response post to Sunshinelady and Reba over Americas culture (except "talk with strangers").

P.S. I do not wish our debate goes ugly over our different POV over that "talk with strangers" as a country´s culture.

Can we move on?

*sigh* I am not saying that you said that but you make it look like that America is friendly culture in the world because you call "friendly talk with strangers" as an America´s culture, that´s all.

Now you said "smile and wave to strangers", not talk with strangers like what Reba said... Yes we smile each other when we don´t have to talk each other by pass walk... I assume that many countries did the same thing when we look each other then smile...by walk pass. It´s natural thing, when the people want to smile without talk with you as a stranger, not culture itself... :shrug:

But Reba said "TALK with strangers", not just "smile and wave each other" by walk pass like what you said here.
Please do not assume and ask us for clarification :ty:. Reba and I have CLEARLY explained to you that it is American culture to smile and wave as part of greeting. You repeatedly said "I disagreed... no American culture is the NATIVE AMERICAN." We have NEVER said we are the most friendly country in the world. We REPEATEDLY said it is AMERICAN culture to smile and wave... and yes we do like to talk to strangers about anything interesting we see. But in order to talk to people - we have to smile and wave because it shows we are friendly. Please get it right. It saves us a lot of headache. Maybe because you're deaf, you don't fully experienced the American greeting and conversation and also because of that - maybe you proceed with caution. :dunno:

I've had encountered a bunch of strangers I ran into anywhere in USA and we simply smiled and waved... it is customary in America to smile and wave before you talk.... just like what I did to Sunshinelade, her husband, and her friend in NYC.

and yes Americans do like to get into a small talk such as - "so... is that a bimmer bike? what kind of engine is that?" etc. or I would ask the local about the local rumor/story. For ie - in Philadelphia - I smiled and waved before I talk to local - "so I hear that this town's got a mighty famous cheesesteak, eh?" they - "yes sireeeee. it's 10 min down there. there are 2 famous joints next to each other called Pat's and Geno's" and we ended the conversation with a smile and wave.

When Americans travel to other countries - they SMILE and WAVE before talking to local to learn about anything. As explained in previous posts - Russian or other countries VIEWED our smiling and waving as SUSPICIOUS.

Anyway, about Russians :hug: and kiss on both cheek. It´s not just Russian but Germany and some European countries as well.[/COLOR]
yes I'm aware of that. I've been to Europe. I don't want to waste my time to type out all the countries.

Why do I repeat when I already explain what America´s culture is about and also 2 links as well? Do you read my response post to Sunshinelady and Reba over Americas culture (except "talk with strangers").
because you just demonstrated a lack any understanding of American Culture by saying it is NATIVE AMERICAN culture. but how is that possible? It "died" long time ago. America is predominantly white, not Native Americans. Please explain to us in your own words what is American Culture. Are we a bunch of gun-loving, flag-waving, hamburger-eating people?

P.S. I do not wish our debate goes ugly over our different POV over that "talk with strangers" as a country´s culture.

Can we move on?

Then do not correct us. We explained our American culture and way of greeting to correct your POV because we are American and we know better than you. But NOOOOOO.... You disagreed with us and tried to correct us and worse of all - you called our way of greeting as "it's not American culture, it's your POV." If you cannot handle the heat, then get out of kitchen and don't open your mouth.

:wave:

Accord your post 193, I can see that you misinterpreted my posts. I will explain clear tomorrow... I have to go bed now... today is 1.34 am.

Then do not correct us.

No, I do not correct your posts but explain my POV why I disagree. Is it harm or what?

We explained our American culture and way of greeting to correct your POV because we are American and we know better than you. But NOOOOOO....

Don´t twist my post... I do respect American´s culture, tradition, mentatliy, etc. I do not correct your post over America´s culture because I don´t live in America. Repeatly... I DISAGREE that it call "friendly talk with strangers" as a American´s culture but people´s personality itself because every person is different... if you call it as a culture which mean that ALL americans. That´s point why I disagree to and call it as a mentality.

You disagreed with us and tried to correct us and worse of all - you called our way of greeting as "it's not American culture, it's your POV." If you cannot handle the heat, then get out of kitchen and don't open your mouth.

:wave:

Is it harm to disagree with you... It doesn´t mean that I correct you when I want to disagree with you.

Please re-read my posts carefully instead of twist my word. I have no problem that you explained that it´s American´s way of talk with strangers but I disagree to consider it as a culture but their mentality... because it doesn´t mean that all Americans did like that.

I said this is your POV which mean is I don´t bother to argue with anyone who right or wrong... Just let them what they want to say... You have your POV as the same as I have my POV and my own experience of visit to different countries and know what culture is about, menatliy is about, tradition, custom, etc.

I questioned Reba in my first post and make normal posts until you jumped my post that´s how it starts... No, you are the one who make biggie... and can´t accept the exchange POV.

You do not need to take my posts serious when I disagree something.

then you're in for shock once you get into college. It's an automatic failure if you use wikipedia as source and that's the fact, not opinion. The professor will look at your cites first and first thing he does when seeing wikipedia in citation, he will either use your paper as a backup for toilet paper or for his coffee cup.

I've been at college before and only use the textbook, nothing else.

Also I think you misunderstand what I said, I never said that I use the wikipedia as source, I was talking about the sources that Wikipedia use, like the references.

I've been at college before and only use the textbook, nothing else.

Also I think you misunderstand what I said, I never said that I use the wikipedia as source, I was talking about the sources that Wikipedia use, like the references.

Just saying that wikipedia should NOT be encouraged or taught EVER especially to kids. It is not the first place for me to look up on something. If my kids used wikipedia, I would threaten to take away the cookies :mad2:

Just saying that wikipedia should NOT be encouraged or taught EVER especially to kids. It is not the first place for me to look up on something. If my kids used wikipedia, I would threaten to take away the cookies :mad2:

Ur too hard on your children. My parents never tell me what to do with my homework, only teacher do. My parents tend to not pressure on me with the homework, only me have to do it myself and learn my lesson if I fail or success. So yeah I raised learning so hard to be independence.

Ur too hard on your children. My parents never tell me what to do with my homework, only teacher do. My parents tend to not pressure on me with the homework, only me have to do it myself and learn my lesson if I fail or success. So yeah I raised learning so hard to be independence.

and I emphasize on education. that's how you become independent - by knowing what to do and how to learn especially recognizing the authenticity of source. look at how many people are so badly misinformed/disinformed.

and I emphasize on education. that's how you become independent - by knowing what to do and how to learn especially recognizing the authenticity of source. look at how many people are so badly misinformed/disinformed.

The education doesn't make them independence, the responbilities learning will teach them to be independence.

I only notice most young who became adult still being dependence are those who have parents who always tell them what to do.

Sorry, but that's how I see it. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back