Do you want to visit Russia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The education doesn't make them independence, the responbilities learning will teach them to be independence.

I only notice most young who became adult still being dependence are those who have parents who always tell them what to do.

Sorry, but that's how I see it. :dunno:

yes... if you plan on living in rural area... or living as a simple person. if you lack education - you cannot learn anything easily. how are you supposed to read something that requires a high level of understanding and reasoning skill like... NY Times? or academic journals? how are you going to learn about politic? medical procedure? tax system? legal contract? stock market? business? etc? If your response is - "simple... I just hire someone"... then that, my friend, is not an example of independence. it doesn't have to be about depending on mommy and daddy.

Those "most young people" who are dependent on parents are the one who do not grow up. Nothing to do with education. They're just immature child who do not want to handle adult responsibility like laundry, rents, etc.

yes... if you plan on living in rural area... or living as a simple person. if you lack education - you cannot learn anything easily. how are you supposed to read something that requires a high level of understanding and reasoning skill like... NY Times? or academic journals? how are you going to learn about politic? medical procedure? tax system? legal contract? stock market? business? etc? If your response is - "simple... I just hire someone"... then that, my friend, is not an example of independence. it doesn't have to be about depending on mommy and daddy.

That depends on their interests, or it is just simply waste of time.

Those "most young people" who are dependent on parents are the one who do not grow up. Nothing to do with education. They're just immature child who do not want to handle adult responsibility like laundry, rents, etc.

Because the parents are pressuring them enough and later they became careless because they feel like their parents only want them to do everything what their parents told them to. Treat them like kids, then they will act like kids.

That depends on their interests, or it is just simply waste of time.
not at all. Education is never a waste of time. It's only a waste of time if you do not want to learn anything. You expressed your interest in politic and health care. Without basic education, you cannot understand it nor can tell the authenticity of the source you're reading from. You would be easily misinformed/disinformed by it like.... FOX people.

Because the parents are pressuring them enough and later they became careless because they feel like their parents only want them to do everything what their parents told them to. Treat them like kids, then they will act like kids.
Blame the parental skill on raising kids, not education or anything. It is statistically shown that educated parents raise better than uneducated parents. Education is the key to being informed on many things... for your own advantage because it's a great empowerment tool.. a key to Democracy. That's why other countries practice censorship and do not let women go to school to read and learn.

not at all. Education is never a waste of time. It's only a waste of time if you do not want to learn anything. You expressed your interest in politic and health care. Without basic education, you cannot understand it nor can tell the authenticity of the source you're reading from. You would be easily misinformed/disinformed by it like.... FOX people.

Exactly on the bold in the quote, that's why I said or, so read careful please.

I don't really care if people don't want to learn how to read, but someday they will realized that they will have to learn how to read. Now that is very true learning. I just don't see how teacher yelling at students to read all the times works, except those students who would listen.

Blame the parental skill on raising kids, not education or anything. It is statistically shown that educated parents raise better than uneducated parents. Education is the key to being informed on many things... for your own advantage because it's a great empowerment tool.. a key to Democracy. That's why other countries practice censorship and do not let women go to school to read and learn.

I didn't blame on the education, I blame that the parents are pressuring them on the school thing like telling them that they had to have an "A" grade all the times or they get grounded.

Exactly on the bold in the quote, that's why I said or, so read careful please.

I don't really care if people don't want to learn how to read, but someday they will realized that they will have to learn how to read. Now that is very true learning. I just don't see how teacher yelling at students to read all the times works, except those students who would listen.
lol talk about being impatience, huh? :laugh2: But yea - you and I have seen how broken our education system is. There's no standard.

I didn't blame on the education, I blame that the parents are pressuring them on the school thing like telling them that they had to have an "A" grade all the times or they get grounded.
now that is a very negative way of learning... :nono: I wouldn't do that either but I would be :mad2: if they're being lazy by getting info from wikipedia.

Do you are against Wikipedia? The Wikipedia is very good information... I know it´s not alway accurate but positive information and general with plenty of sources in wikipedia, then we want to learn and read... My both sons use wikipedia to do their homework at school...

I do not see anything negative about Wikipedia... the political issues, I have been check with snope.com or Factcheck.org to compare with wikipedia... Most is true and correct. :shrug:
Most schools here don't allow Wikipedia as a source because its information is unreliable.

If you know "it's not alway accurate" why would you use it?

lol talk about being impatience, huh? :laugh2: But yea - you and I have seen how broken our education system is. There's no standard.

:lol:, That's true, there's no such a standard of learning to live in the modern world.

now that is a very negative way of learning... :nono: I wouldn't do that either but I would be :mad2: if they're being lazy by getting info from wikipedia.

Agree, it was very negative, I personally have a friend and it was terrible and lost my friendship because of her parents, but oh well.

I wouldn't call students reading the wikipedia lazy unless it's a Simple English version.

Most schools here don't allow Wikipedia as a source because its information is unreliable.

If you know "it's not alway accurate" why would you use it?

Because the Wikipedia tend to have the references that can be read through.

I wouldn't call students reading the wikipedia lazy unless it's a Simple English version.

reading sources such as TIME magazine and NY Times are designed to be understood by high school students. But what separate them from other sources such as USA Today is the depth of critical thinking and insights - in other word... a well-rounded and well-researched story... to provoke you into thinking on both sides. You don't get those in USA Today or FOX news.

reading sources such as TIME magazine and NY Times are designed to be understood by high school students. But what separate them from other sources such as USA Today is the depth of critical thinking and insights - in other word... a well-rounded and well-researched story... to provoke you into thinking on both sides. You don't get those in USA Today or FOX news.

There are no NY Times in my area, but there's The Columbian and The Oregonian, also USA Today and others around my area, but yeah who care if people don't want to read them?

There are no NY Times in my area, but there's The Columbian and The Oregonian, also USA Today and others around my area, but yeah who care if people don't want to read them?

www.nytimes.com :cool2:

Yes that's right - who cares if people don't want to read them... that's why they say - "Ignorance is bliss."

...You teach your child to not talk to strangers then on next day, you meet a stranger and chatted... Your child look up to you and ask you who is he? Did you know him? What´s your reply? It would confuse your child if you said that you don´t know him... Why it´s okay for you to chat with stranger, not your child?
There are lots of things we teach are children not to do until they are adults, and they understand that; it isn't confusing. If a parent tells a child not to drive a car and then drives a car is it confusing? No. If a parent tells a child not to use a power saw then the parent uses a saw, is it confusing the child? No. Children learn that there are some things adults can do that kids aren't allowed to do. It's no big deal.

Disagree... see the example above... It´s not just children but adult as well, the bad stranger seduce...
You can't mean that you're afraid a stranger will seduce you on the street just because you smile and say "hi"! :shock:

Huh? No, we don´t shoot the strangers for come in our house property but Americans. :)

We were raised to not talk to strangers, we don´t know. Many American children and adult are being killed and rape by intruders don´t they? Who is intruder, of course bad stranger. That´s why we are carefully to judge stranger before we can talk with them.
I've never shot a stranger who came onto my property.

Intruders aren't the same as people walking on the street or standing in a line or sitting in a waiting room. Intruders are people who force their way into homes.

It has nothing do with fear or whatever but it´s our mentality. We don´t own the guns and have no reason to be fear... We answer the door to the strangers without shoot them... but Americans do... :)
I'm an American and I've never shot a stranger at my door. I don't personally know anyone who has shot a stranger at the door. I've read newspaper articles about people who have done that but it's rare. That's the reason it makes headlines in the paper--because it is rare. You are totally exaggerating that.

As what you said then you should agree for restriction gun control or banned the gun control because "friendly talk with stranger is America´s culture"... :scratch: Without guns, you are fear... right? But we don´t because we don´t need the guns.
Americans' Constitutional Second Amendment rights have nothing to do with being friendly to strangers. I own guns but I don't even carry one with me, and I'm not afraid to meet strangers in most circumstances.

and people don't bother reading the references and/or are often unable to form a critical thinking of their own. Reading the reference is usually complicated to understand but this is how they think - "as long as it looks nice and fancy... good enough!!" just cuz the cites sounds authoritative.

It is very selective and often taken out of context. Both sides can use same line from same reference but for different agenda.

Yes, but the Wiki article itself is unreliable. The problem is, most people don't bother to check out the references and just accept the Wiki info at face value without digging deeper.

Maybe, you were taught in Russian language with a tiny misunderstood word. You might have said, "I dislike you" instead of "I love you." :giggle:

Well it's their fault if they don't bother to read those references and depend on the Wikipedia's little information.

The article, you posted is 3rd October 2004 is not the date and year of the wall Berlin pulled down.
I know that. It's about the continuing attitude of Germans after the wall came down. Didn't you read the whole thing? If you did, you would understand that.

What your hubby said is incorrect... it´s not on same time as wall berlin pulled down but few years later.
What he said was correct. I knew it, too. He just reminded me about it.

and people don't bother reading the references and/or are often unable to form a critical thinking of their own. Reading the reference is usually complicated to understand but this is how they think - "as long as it looks nice and fancy... good enough!!" just cuz the cites sounds authoritative.

It is very selective and often taken out of context. Both sides can use same line from same reference but for different agenda.

I can't see how you can come up with being critical thinking if you are hell bent on conformity. Lastly american culture is NOT about smiling and waving, what crock of shit, probably most likely, someone in here has it confused with "pride of being an american" or so, whatever I dont care ..this thread should have stayed on tourist wishes to visit Russia - what the hell happended?

I can't see how you can come up with being critical thinking if you are hell bent on conformity
conformity? uh no. This is about having an ability to think for yourself after reading plethora of sources from all sides. Most choose to read and stick with it on something that agrees to what they want to hear.... even though it's misleading. FOX-watching people is an excellent example of that.

AND I posted this last night, it is deleted. AND in that post, I said BACK TO TOPIC about visiting Russian, not some squabbling about "knowing bullshit American culture"

Actually we're on topic. It was about Americans visiting Russia and somebody pointed out the natives' suspicion of American friendliness. We explained that it is American way of greeting by smiling and waving.... which was viewed as suspicious by foreigners.

If you claim which mean is that ALL Americans act like that... No, because I work together with Americans and know their mentatliy and behavior... they have different personalities... therére some friendly and unfriendly... some rude... some arrogant..., some anti-gay, some racists... I would not call America´s culture to be friendly with strangers... It does the same here in Germany as well... I would not call Germany "Germany culture is to be unfriendly or friendly with strangers" because it makes no sense. I would call it as their mentality and personalities itself..., not culture...
People are born with personality traits but they are also influenced by their cultural environments. The American culture is to be outgoing and friendly. Of course some people behave contrary to their culture, but that doesn't mean the culture isn't valid. (I feel like I'm repeating myself.)

You call it as a culture but I call it as a mentality.
Culture:
Anthropology. the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another.

The predominating attitudes and behavior that characterize the functioning of a group or organization.

Mentality:
a habitual or characteristic mental attitude that determines how you will interpret and respond to situations; mental ability

You see, the difference is "mentality" refers to the individual. "Culture" refers to a group of people. Americans, as a group (that is, "culture") behave a certain way, and that way is passed down from generation to generation.

Yes, Native American was FIRST people in America... The land was belong them before white people took it over... Right?
Native American people lived in America before the Europeans arrived, yes. But there was no "Native American" culture because each group was independent and separate. Each had a different culture. There was no "Native American" culture. There was Apache culture, Mohican culture, Cherokee culture, Pueblo culture, etc.

That´s what I said, it´s their true culture because they are still exist then later...
Native American people still exist yes, and within their local regions their culture still has some influence. But they don't have a dominant national culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back