Do you want to visit Russia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liebling, I don't mean to give you another hiss, but just asking, what if the strangers smile to you, what will you do?

If they smiled at me, I would just smile back and walk by. When they smile at me, I ignore them, that make me feel like I was rude or snob person or I was mad or something, also when I don't smile at them when they smiled at me, I tend to get the feelings that I made them feel stupid to smile to me, which made me feel qulity.

Smiling to other strangers are just a nice approach, nothing more unless the strangers are asking for something.

Liebling, I don't mean to give you another hiss, but just asking, what if the strangers smile to you, what will you do?

If they smiled at me, I would just smile back and walk by. When they smile at me, I ignore them, that make me feel like I was rude or snob person or I was mad or something, also when I don't smile at them when they smiled at me, I tend to get the feelings that I made them feel stupid to smile to me, which made me feel qulity.

Smiling to other strangers are just a nice approach, nothing more unless the strangers are asking for something.

Yes I know what you mean...

Yes they smiled at me and we smiled back to them then walk pass without talk each other. Depend on my judgment on strangers...

And other example:

We were at different countries - we chatted with strangers friendly because we are tourists which is a different story... Of course the tour guide taught us to not walk down the strange street because it´s unsafety...

We often meet the strangers to ask for direction... we are helpful if they ask us for direction etc.. like what I said in previous posts...

Like what Reba said is too extreme...

Yes I know what you mean...

Yes they smiled at me and we smiled back to them then walk pass without talk each other. Depend on my judgment on strangers...

And other example:

We were at different countries - we chatted with strangers friendly because we are tourists which is a different story... Of course the tour guide taught us to not walk down the strange street because it´s unsafety...

We often meet the strangers to ask for direction... we are helpful if they ask us for direction etc.. like what I said in previous posts...

Like what Reba said is too extreme...

Yup same here, sometimes people came to me and asked me if I have any cigarette, sometimes I give them a cigarette with friendly face, but sometimes told them no with friendly face.

I remember when I was in Japan, which I think was the most friendly country that I ever went, I was holding a map on my hand trying to find the temple and one man just come to me asking me if I need help. I was like sure, then he walk with me all the way to the temple.

I can understand about the "back street" area, I wouldn't go there if I was in the place that I never had been at, neither, not even in my own country.

I notice that you misunderstand ADers´ posts more and more...

No, Reba know very well what I am talking about because I remember our discussion about bad and good strangers everywhere and how to protect the children... also adult as well in several threads until last summer 2008. Now she said different here and find okay to smile and talk to strangers, she never see before.

We (Europeans) were being taught to not talk the strangers down the street, we never see and met. We also were being taught to aware that there´re many good and bad strangers everywhere... unless we are in or out of resturants or shop owners to talk "strangers".

:confused::confused::confused:

Yup same here, sometimes people came to me and asked me if I have any cigarette, sometimes I give them a cigarette with friendly face, but sometimes told them no with friendly face.

Interesting :shock:, but here in Germany not...

I remember when I was in Japan, which I think was the most friendly country that I ever went, I was holding a map on my hand trying to find the temple and one man just come to me asking me if I need help. I was like sure, then he walk with me all the way to the temple.

Yes, the people are willing to help when they noticed that it's tourists when they saw them hold the maps. The tourists asked me for direction... I went with them because I went same way as them to...

I can understand about the "back street" area, I wouldn't go there if I was in the place that I never had been at, neither, not even in my own country.

Yes that' s exact why we people are careful...

:ty: for open mind and exchange our interesting posts.

This is your opinion. I don´t :) or :D to strangers down the street, I never see before. I was being taught to not do that.

It is not an opinion. It is American culture. we :wave: to anybody because we like to chit-chat and exchange stories. America is the immigrant country so everybody has a story. It is natural for homogeneous country to be unfriendly or reserved toward strangers. it tends to be bit boring because a homogeneous country shares same belief, same race, same culture, same etc.

It is not an opinion. It is American culture. we :wave: to anybody because we like to chit-chat and exchange stories. America is the immigrant country so everybody has a story. It is natural for homogeneous country to be unfriendly or reserved toward strangers. it tends to be bit boring because a homogeneous country shares same belief, same race, same culture, same etc.

I don't see that it's American culture but it's people itself. It's people's view... If the people think it's okay to chat with the strangers, they never see or met before then is their choice/opinion, not culture.

I was in USA and visit several different states last year and don't see the difference. :dunno2: I don't see that Americans :) or :D to me or us... They are normal people like here in Germany...

I just ask my American co-workers about this few minutes ago. She said the same thing what I said here. That's exactly what Puyo described is same here in Germany... Each person is different and is being taught different...

I don't see that it's American culture but it's people itself. It's people's view... If the people think it's okay to chat with the strangers, they never see or met before then is their choice/opinion, not culture.

I was in USA and visit several different states last year and don't see the difference. :dunno2: I don't see that Americans :) or :D to me or us... They are normal people like here in Germany...

I just ask my American co-workers about this few minutes ago. She said the same thing what I said here. That's exactly what Puyo described is same here in Germany... Each person is different and is being taught different...

Ugh, you don't understand, it's actually part of America culture for different social and friendliness, they probably think you are really different person or weird person or something. I had went out to somewhere so numerous time and they are very friendly to me, even I have no problem with them, same as Reba said and there's some bitches or asshole people in anywhere.

I found difference when went to Orlando for vacation, that where heavily tourists from UK went to Orlando for vacation during summertime and I found out that UK tourists are less friendly than American tourists when come with strangers, I had asked one of my friend and he said it's true. UK tourists are always goes with themselves. I had asked my parent about remember to visit London in 13 years ago, they said same thing, people in UK are more unfriendly when come with strangers too.

Only problem, you aren't resident of US for many years, Reba knows more about anything.

Japan is homogeneous country, they are extreme friendlier than Americans does.

I don't get that impression that the Japanese are that friendly because my brother (hearing) tells me that they generally are prejudiced about foreigners. He has lived in Japan for a while, and says even though knowing the language and the culture he struggles with biased Japanese peeps who think foreigners are dumb about their country. He told me that he understood how I felt about peeps being prejudiced against me for being deaf. It was that bad! But he says that the Japanese sure know how to party!

I don't get that impression that the Japanese are that friendly because my brother (hearing) tells me that they generally are prejudiced about foreigners. He has lived in Japan for a while, and says even though knowing the language and the culture he struggles with biased Japanese peeps who think foreigners are dumb about their country. He told me that he understood how I felt about peeps being prejudiced against me for being deaf. It was that bad! But he says that the Japanese sure know how to party!

Oh really, I got know from Puyo, he told me about something in Japan.

Liza, Did you read my post? I am waiting for you to answer. :)

actually no. It's the same or similar behavior shared by many Americans in one country which later becomes an American culture itself. A culture is formed when a group shares same thing. For example - it's a culture in France to have a 2 hours lunch and to have a french bread everyday :laugh2:. It's a culture in Russia to greet someone by hugging and kissing both cheeks. It's a culture in America to smile and greet strangers. I don't know about you but perhaps your American co-worker either lives in Germany too long or haven't really experienced a life much... or maybe he/she is just not a gregarious type. :dunno:

I find German culture to be bit brusque because they are stingy with resource and time. When I was in Munich.. I was at public bathroom to wash my hand, I left the sink just for a quick moment to use the soap.. the German jumped into my sink and scolded me for wasting a water... even for 1 second. I thought it was extremely rude of him to use my sink when I was using it but I suppose it's a German culture. :dunno:

Perhaps you haven't really experienced much in America. Have you been to South? great hospitality. North-eastern tends to be bit more rude and impatient.... aka road roage! :mad2:

not really. They're simply polite and helpful to help tourists. why? because tourists = money. but generally - they are racist and prejudiced.... that's what you usually expect from a homogeneous country with deep-rooted pride in nationalism. Ever wonder why Japan flag is like that? a big red circle in center? It symbolizes that the day begins in Japan.

Oh really, I got know from Puyo, he told me about something in Japan.

Puyo = tourist. Liza's brother = temporary Japanese resident. big difference.

Interesting :shock:, but here in Germany not...

:lol: Well I am used to it..

Yes, the people are willing to help when they noticed that it's tourists when they saw them hold the maps. The tourists asked me for direction... I went with them because I went same way as them to...

Yes that' s exact why we people are careful...

:ty: for open mind and exchange our interesting posts.

No problemo :)

Agree.

I strongly disagree. I am not sure when your brother live in Japan, but I know about 20 or 30 years after the WWII, the Japanese people are not really friendly to American because you know, we drop the nuclear bomb on Japan and kill thousands of people there. What do you think that make them feel? I don't really blame on them.

My last time at Japan was 2006, I was impressed by their friendly, when I was in the airport, I simply asked one worker how I can get out of the airport, he lean me all the way out, and he asked me if I know where to go even though I didn't ask him and he gave me the direction to the hotel where I was supposed to go without me asking.

Also when I entered the hotel, the worker gave me very friendly face and sign you smoke?

And the way how they smile, they smile and bows. The crime percent are VERY extremely low, like only 1 percent. Also the streets around Tokyo are very clean, there are no papers on the pole nor cigarette butts on the sidewalks, or anything that make the streets look dirty.

I've been at Mexico and are they friendly? No, bunches of poor people prying for money ALL the times. At the Bahamas, friendly? No, they are just relax culture (no offensive). At Greece, they are not really friendly, but rather "get lost" culture, that applies to France too.

That's why I think Japan was the most friendly country I ever went. I just never see any other country that are more friendly than Japan.

not really. They're simply polite and helpful to help tourists. why? because tourists = money. but generally - they are racist and prejudiced.... that's what you usually expect from a homogeneous country with deep-rooted pride in nationalism. Ever wonder why Japan flag is like that? a big red circle in center? It symbolizes that the day begins in Japan.

All you said was wrong. They never ask me for money to help me. Their flag symbols the rising of the sun. Also I've seen some of foreginers in Japan, not just few, but pretty as much as we have in America, such like Middle East, Europeans, Americans, Africans, so on.

Puyo = tourist. Liza's brother = temporary Japanese resident. big difference.

That doesn't make any different except the period when her brother was in Japan. Also I went there to meet my Japanese friend, she was the most friendly than other foregin exchange students I've met through my grandparents. I mean, she don't nag, lecture, scream "yuck!", or anything.

you just proved my point, Piyo. You were a tourist. Japanese treat tourists like a king. I expect to be treated like that when I visit Japan. That's why people tell others about how clean and polite they are. That's what makes people wanting to visit Japan to experience it. Get it? Tourists = money. Your visit to Japan is a profit for Japan. Liza's brother was not a tourist but as a resident. So yes it makes a world of difference.

It is simply in Japanese nature to be clean and polite. Ever seen Japanese gas station? I would love to have that in here... and they did not even expect to receive a tip for their service.

btw - I did not experience "get lost" attitude in Paris. They were courteous and helpful but those were workers (hotel, restaurants, taxi, etc).... as expected for those who cater to tourists. I will probably experience "get lost" attitude if I live in there and do not speak French.

you just proved my point, Piyo. You were a tourist. Japanese treat tourists like a king. I expect to be treated like that when I visit Japan. That's why people tell others about how clean and polite they are. That's what makes people wanting to visit Japan to experience it. Get it? Tourists = money. Your visit to Japan is a profit for Japan. Liza's brother was not a tourist but as a resident. So yes it makes a world of difference.

It is simply in Japanese nature to be clean and polite. Ever seen Japanese gas station? I would love to have that in here... and they did not even expect to receive a tip for their service.

btw - I did not experience "get lost" attitude in Paris. They were courteous and helpful but those were workers (hotel, restaurants, taxi, etc).... as expected for those who cater to tourists. I will probably experience "get lost" attitude if I live in there and do not speak French.

Compare Japan to other country, you will find Japan more friendlier and clean. Also about the money, everyone want the money and that's normal :roll: Also I don't know what make you to think that they keep their area clean and friendly just for tourist.

And pfffffft! I strongly disagree with you about France, people there are so snob, plus I knew people who visited France said the same thing.

Compare Japan to other country, you will find Japan more friendlier and clean. Also about the money, everyone want the money and that's normal :roll: Also I don't know what make you to think that they keep their area clean and friendly just for tourist.
Didn't I say it's in their nature to keep clean and be polite? And no I do not believe Japan is friendlier than other. You haven't tried Africa yet. I have heard many stories from fellow trekkers that Africans were incredibly hospitable and considerate... at no cost. they even refuse to accept your money but they will accept what you give them such as chocolate or even a picture because they get to brag to their people about their experience. But I don't judge who is friendlier. As long as they're friendly - good enough for me. It's not a pissing contest for me. :cool2:

My dad's been to Japan for business purpose many times (he's touched all 6 continents.. sorry no Antarctica :laugh2:) and he was amazed at how clean it is... even subway. It's as if they worship Mr. Clean

2nvtpif.jpg

And pfffffft! I strongly disagree with you about France, people there are so snob, plus I knew people who visited France said the same thing.
Like I said - the people who are in tourism business are courteous and friendly... which is what you experienced in Japan. You haven't really experienced "living in Japan" like Liza's brother. I've visited France and they weren't that snobby but they do look down on people who speak English instead of French. :dunno:

Jiro,

Sorry I strong disagree with most of your posts. I will be back for correct your posts later. I agree with Puyo mostly. Yes, Puyio is correct that all countries want money from tourists which is normal.

I had been experienced in Africa... Oh yes, they want money... We paid to go in their home to look around... and throw sweets away to children to grab..... France is my neighbor... I went there dozen of times... French prefer to speak their own language over speak English.

I know some French and some Americans hate each other over history... French can´t stand American´s personality as the same as American can´t stand French´s personality as well. We taught Americans to respect France´s culture and try to speak their language before they visit France... Americans are surprised that French are friendly to them... They love France... Yes, French do speak English but they are happy that you speak French a little like Good morning, bye, thank you, etc. and they would be glad to speak English for you...

http://www.alldeaf.com/travel-leisure/18136-do-you-like-france.html

:lol: it´s not a culture in America to smile and greet strangers but people itself.

If you said that it´s culture in America to smile and greet strangers which mean that there´re NONE of racists, crimes, unfriendly, etc. etc. in America ... It make no sense.

Like what I said before that it´s people´s behavior itself, not culture that´s how they expose into good and friendly person, racist, unfriendly, etc. etc., not culture. See the difference example what Puyo and Liza´s brother experienced in Japan, see that there´re not all people are friendly ... We have many Japanese as tourist here in Germany... Very popular... They loves to take pictures of Germans and children.... cultures.... They are very friendly people... Each person see different. Japanese often visit my hubby´s work place for exchange and stay for 3 to 6 months... You see in French as friendly but Americans see it different... and love Germans... Like what I said that each person is different and see differently.

As what you said that Europe is unfriendly which mean that Europe´s culture is unfriendly... it make no sense because there´re friendly, unfriendly, crime, racists, etc in Europe as well.

It explains what American culture is about.

WHAT IS AMERICAN CULTURE?

Culture of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There´re many cultures in America because of many different races, culture backgrounds and mentalities. There´re only one true American culture is Native American.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back