Do you treat teenagers as kid or young adult?

Do you treat your teenagers as kid or young adult?

• Yes

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
I don't really know everything thats going on..I never read Taylor's thread just the 1st few posts & never caught my interest really. I thought it was a waste of time, but oh well...yeah take your time I'll listen..I wasn't trying to offend you or nothing Liebling..

I´m very glad that you ask me question here... I will be back for answer your question soon... *I´m going to fix the breakfast for my family*

I don't really know everything thats going on..I never read Taylor's thread just the 1st few posts & never caught my interest really. I thought it was a waste of time, but oh well...yeah take your time I'll listen..I wasn't trying to offend you or nothing Liebling..

No, you do not offend me...

Yes you are right that it´s waste of time to convince the members who are upset over my POV reaction toward SteelX... Leave it out.... and move on...

I´m not here to talk or rant you about other members how and what they are upset about but answer your question about my country, what you are wonder about.
I'm not sure what its like overseas there Liebling:)))
I will answer your question about my country later.

Like what CyberRed said that we as parents are still responsible for our children until they are 18 years old... As parents, I show my respect on my boys´s development instead of treat them as kids. Yes, they are still my responsible.... I firm with them if they do something wrong etc... All what they have to follow and respect my rules since they live in my house which is mainly important.

I agreed with CyberRed´s POV about teenagers.

I don´t understand why some of people consider teenagers as the kids when they have puberty. ?

Some people don't stop and THINK when it comes to puberty. Some people still think that they are still " kids " when it comes to puberty. I don't think this way like them. Some people feel that they are " kids " to them, because of what the parents raised them by feedin' them, clothin' them, bathin' them and so on. It's probably why they view their teens as kids. :dunno: That's IMO. The feelin' of " blood and flesh " is still bondin' in between the parents and their " kids " without viewin' kids as " teen agers ".

Once they reach puberty - their lifestyle changes - no longer " kids " because, they have to take care of their bodies such as hygiene.

Some people don't stop and THINK when it comes to puberty. Some people still think that they are still " kids " when it comes to puberty. I don't think this way like them. Some people feel that they are " kids " to them, because of what the parents raised them by feedin' them, clothin' them, bathin' them and so on. It's probably why they view their teens as kids. :dunno: That's IMO. The feelin' of " blood and flesh " is still bondin' in between the parents and their " kids " without viewin' kids as " teen agers ".

Once they reach puberty - their lifestyle changes - no longer " kids " because, they have to take care of their bodies such as hygiene.

Yes I can see that.

It´s normal for every parents including me have feeling when they look at their children because we born them and our wish children but we have to accept the fact that it´s our job as parents to prepare our teenagers into young adult and help them to see right way to be mature adulthood.

I'm not sure what its like overseas there Liebling:))) I do know though that some teens do mature faster then others like 2hot4you. But she has the same rights & limited to things she can & can not do just like any other young teen.

Here is my answer about my country.

2hot4you´s mature is similar to a lot of Europe teenagers.

The teenagers are being treat as young adult to parents and public here in Germany. "Jugendliche" (youth/teens) are well-known in every commercials, including group trips etc. I know it´s for teenagers when I see the commercials for outing trips, magazines, etc. etc...(13 years old to 19 years old)... We use "jugendliche" during converstion and also public conversation... We never label our teenage children as kids but "jugendliche". I will know it´s for under 13 years old when I see the commericals "Kinder" (children) for outing trips, etc... If under 13 years old then consider be pre-teenager or young child (kids) in every commercials.... then talk about "kids" or "my son or daughter"...

Its about respect on teenagers instead of treat them as the kids. Sure, the teenagers knows that they have to respect their parents´s rules and still be parents´s responsible until they are 18 years old. It would make teenager mature more and more if we treat them as young adult. It would make teenager immaturity if we treat them as young child.

I realized that Europe culture is different as America culture. I´m an European & never see anyone who label teenagers as kids until I saw SteelX´s post for a first time. I suggest him in friendly way to not label her as the kid but teens or young adult. I´m type of person who suggest anyone to not do that or do that etc... example: Lawyer wrote a letter to anyone on my behalf... He wrote "taubstumm" (Deaf & mute)... I wrote him in friendly way to correct him to not use taubstumm but deaf... It got him curious and ask me why... I explained him why... He was like oooh I see and then understood.. without take my letter serious. He is not first who say this... I´m friendly and patience person and suggest anyone to not do that or do that... I see no problem if they disagree with my suggestion then explain me why... then I respect them... with NO serious or personal... because they know I only make suggestion, not judgement or whatever.

May I say something?

Please don't label 2hot4you as "kid". She is not longer a young child but teenager or young adult.

SteelX´s post from Taylor´s thread
A lot of teenagers don't like to hear the word "kid" because they are not young children but teenage or young adult.

I'm sorry but I still look at teens as kids to me and they are still very young people who dont deserve to be threated, raped, murdered, and stuff like that so I know she's not exactly a kid but she's still a very young person, is all.

Thank you for answer my post in manner way.

It´s not just teens but adults. Adult also don´t deserve to be threated, rape, murder, etc. , too...

Is it you consider teenager as kid because of rape, threaten, etc.?

I respect your POV but to me, teenager is a young adult, not young chlid.

I think constantly making that member the focus of this debate is disrespctful and tasteless.

My opinion on the debate:
Teens or adolesents are not totally mature and still have a lot of learning and life to experience. They should not be treated as children. Give them more responsiblity and respect. Yet teens still need guidelines and rules. teens need the more freedom so the can try new things and learn from their mistakes

This thread is going around it's circle.
Eek.gif

My vote is yes, I treat teenagers as kid. i will debate with you later.. i better go out right now...

enjoy stay!

Teens or adolesents are not totally mature and still have a lot of learning and life to experience. They should not be treated as children. Give them more responsiblity and respect. Yet teens still need guidelines and rules. teens need the more freedom so the can try new things and learn from their mistakes

You nailed it beautifully. That´s an exactly what I did with my sons.

The teenagers would improve their mature when you treat them as young adult... Let them experiment their curiously and help them to learn respect and responsiblity.

Right some mature a lot slower then others. Some teens just think they know it all period. & Are so disrepectful also. Give some a little lead way they take full advantage..I know I did all those things..LoL

I think constantly making that member the focus of this debate is disrespctful and tasteless.

Some teens just think they know it all period.

It´s normal... Its about their experiment... We as parents tell them why we disagree or explain what we know etc... If they see different then let them... Communicate with them is the best than judge them...

& Are so disrepectful also. Give some a little lead way they take full advantage..I know I did all those things..LoL

Teach your young children how to respect...before they reach teenager is the best... If you disrespect or judge teenagers then they will do the same in return.

I'm well aware of that Liebling, thank you. Regardless how we refer to teens though..The point is consider them what you want. A child, a teen, young adult, young man/lady, etc..

They still have a whole lot of growing up to do before they reach the real adulthood & get out there in the world. No matter how or what we refer them to. No matter how you bring them up. Its all about what they do with their choices & decisions they make. Or who they hang around with can also make a big influance on them..

You can bring any child up right & be the best parent in the world. But they can also just turn around & do what they want then end up in jail or whatever.

Teach your young children how to respect...before they reach teenager is the best... If you disrespect or judge teenagers then they will do the same in return.

i cant vote because its all depends on the child themselves. for example 4hot2u is not a child or a kid because she have proved to be mature young adult to me by her actions. its all depends on their responsibity and how they take things as they deal with the world in their lives. i call my own dad kid cuz hes not mature lol.

to me... "child, teenager, adult" are just to rep. their average age and i will use that to describe someone, however if im talking directly to that person...its entirely different story. its all depends on how mature they are before i can decide what to give them for a label.

most young adults dont like to be called kid because they wants to show they are ready to be adult themselves and by being called them kid it shows we r not giving them the chance to prove to us. but unfortunately quite often young adults do not realize what responsiblity truly means till they get to experience it themselves after they move out :)

i hope my post make sense to y'all

u know when someone asked is this your kid. i said yes it is my kid. maybe thats what it mean?

like long time ago when there was an incident with kids on basketball court- the cop asked . who are the kids? I said which kids? (there were many kids like 8-10)the cop pointed out at them (teenagers) playing.. I said I dont know but i know they aint mine.

many names to call.. kid, child, brat, snot, so on and on. ha.

Oh yes yesterday i read in the school rule books for attendance policies.
. It didnt say kid? but CHILD when it said it started Kindergarten by age 5 to age 18 so they are considered adult at 18.

so from what i understand they are still a child under LAW whether the teenagers like it or not but its a fact. A child is a child then! DEAL with it!

As a mother of three girls of 16, 15 and 12.

To me, they are half way between child and teenager, all in one group. End of the day, it is still Parent's responsible!!!!

Also if they are commit a crime, they are not allow to be named, because they are still minor in the eye of the law!

In my country - 16 years old is allow to learn to drive a car, having intercourse, paying taxes if working on part-time, quit school if they wants to, and start to work full time, leaving home, we - parent's cannot do anything about it.

Some wants to get married, parent's will give their permission for that.

To me - adult is 16 years onwards.

18 years old is legal age - old enough to vote, getting married - a new passport to face a real world of their own.

Of course I know we all are responsible for our children until they are 18 years old but I am here to talk about yourself as parents, not law.

I am talking as parents, not law what you treat your teenager as kid/young child or teens/young adult. That´s what I´m talking about.

Of course I know we all are responsible for our children until they are 18 years old but I am here to talk about yourself as parents, not law.

I am talking as parents, not law what you treat your teenager as kid/young child or teens/young adult. That´s what I´m talking about.

I have somethin' for you. It was a good one. I need to go but, I will come back after church to tell you somethin'. :)

I vote Yes!

Two weekends ago, we went to a Barn Dancing, with my three daughters, and later in the evening, a man came and chatting to one of my girls, and my husband watching it and he wasn't impressed what he saw this man gave his mobile cell phone number to my girl. He came to my girl and saying to this man "Excuse me, this is my daughter, she is only 15!! and told my girl to deleted his phone number!! This man, my husband saying he looks like over 20+ walked out!

She came to find me as I was out of sight, and saying "Mum, A man an acquanitated of mine, (he was sack from my work), gave me his mobile ph number, but Dad embarrament me telling him off that I am 15 years old, I am not kid!!!

I told her "I am sorry to say I agreed with Dad. Your too young!!!!"

(I thought myself what annoying me is that this man knew my daughter is underage!!)

Oh yes yesterday i read in the school rule books for attendance policies.
. It didnt say kid? but CHILD when it said it started Kindergarten by age 5 to age 18 so they are considered adult at 18.

so from what i understand they are still a child under LAW whether the teenagers like it or not but its a fact. A child is a child then! DEAL with it!

I talked to my American co-worker.

Accord her: She never heard that "CHILD" is being consider since kindergarten to 18 years old at school... To her knowledge, at any schools, the "child" is being consider to 7 years old and then from 8 years old to 18 years as student. At public, the children are being consider as kids or teens accord their ages but some parents treat/see their teenagers as kids. Depend on different parents who treat their teenagers with respect. It's parental's discipline to expose their kids/teens, not law.

For law like most countries in the world that the children are still parent's responsible until they are 18 years old... example about legal like alcohol, driving, pay tax, sex, etc. and also law only take care of children who are being abuse/neglect by their parents or whatever.

Yes I have check 3 US schools here (Rainbow, Elementary & High school) in Germany because I work for US Government... It written that "child" to 7 years old and then from 8 years to 18 years old as "student".

Anyway, here in Germany - the children are being consider as "student" at school.

Yes, it's depend on parent's decision to expose their teenager as kid/young child or teen/young adult.

I treat my older son with respect as young adult/teenager because I know kids and teenagers are not the same thing.

Back