Do you treat teenagers as kid or young adult?

Do you treat your teenagers as kid or young adult?

• Yes

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
I´m not sure either this thread belongs under Parent or Debate Section?

I know this thread, I create will go debate with agree to disagree.

We debated in Taylor´s thread "Thank you Alex" over "kid" which it goes topic off when I disagree SteelX for treat 14 years old girl as kid.

I´m going to paste some of posts from Taylor´s thread over here.

Please don´t bash if you agree or disagree...

Originally Posted by Steel X
Anyway, kid...

you are still a kid! 14 years of age and still in high school

May I say something?
Please don't label 2hot4you as "kid". She is not longer a young child but teenager or young adult.

A lot of teenagers don't like to hear the word "kid" because they are not young children but teenage or young adult.

More paste post will come...

Oceanbreeze quoted my post

Liebling´s post
May I say something?

Please don't label 2hot4you as "kid". She is not longer a young child but teenager or young adult.

A lot of teenagers don't like to hear the word "kid" because they are not young children but teenage or young adult.

Oceanbreeze´s post

Uh, Liebling she is a kid.
She dealt with this issue in a mature manner for her age, but she's still a kid. She will remain so until she's 18.

Paste posts come ....

I voted no, if anyone who is after 13 years old or over are considered to be teenagers.

GalaxyAngel´s post
My older son is teenager 15 yrs old... he hate hearing word "KID label"
Prefer proprite word "Teenager" because suitable wording..
12 to 18 yrs old label is Teenager because mostly popluar word label..
11 to 12 yrs old as label word "Pre-teenager" Mostly I used say teenager

My last son is kid because he's 10 yrs old.. not even become teenager yet.

If you calling person ohh you're just KID.. The person would feel am I kid? Hell no *screaming you back* I'm frig'gn not KID.. I'm teenager.. How do you feel ?

Proprite word..
Careful with teenagers' feelings!

more paste post come...

FelixKat930 quoted GalaxyAngel´s post to agree with her...

FelixKat930´s post
I agree with you! My dad would call me a teenager but my mom used to call me a kid all the time when I was a teen.. I was like.. and *zoom*

More paste come...

Oceanbreeze´s post
The way I was raised you're a kid until your 18th birthday. Since it boils down to differing opinions, I'm not going to bother arguing the point with anyone in this thread. It's way off the point, and just sends us down a road we don't need to go. If anyone has an issue with me about this can take it up with me in PM. Otherwise, please just kindly let it go. It's not worth getting all in a twist over.

Liebling quoted Oceanbreeze´s post...

Liebling´s post
If so, then I feel sorry for your children.

It´s no twist but FACT!

More paste come ...

More of adolescent same meaning as a teenager, It falls between childhood and adulthood. I don't think Steel X meant to call her a child, a kid is another word for teenager I believe.

Liebling quoted Galaxyangel´s post to agree with her

Liebling´s post

:werd:
My young son is 10 years old is kid or young child. My 13 years old son is a teenager or young adult... I treat my teenager as maturity and young adult, not kid... He will become immaturity & aggressive if I carry on treat him as kid... I bet 2hot4you don´t like to hear the "kid", you label her... I do not label her as kid but teenager or young adult because I myself have a teenage son and know what teenage is... Becareful with teenager´s feeling...

paste post come... last one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liebling:)))
Nope, the teenagers would feel being imaturity if you carry on treat them like young child. I feel bad for teenagers if their parents see them as kid or young child and treat them as kid or young child.

I consider 2hot4you as teenager or young adult, not kid or young child.

I´m mother of teenagers and know how to deal with teenagers, not you...

LuciaDisturbed quoted Liebling´s post to disagree with her

I disagree. Anyone under 18 is still a CHILD.

Oceanbreeze quote LuciaDisturbed´s post

Especially as it applies to U.S. law. In the eyes of the law, you are a child until you reach your 18th birthday.

My 10 and 11 year old daughters are what you call "tweens". They get upset if someone calls either one of them "kid". They dont view themselves as kids.

I once called a 13 year old boy a "kid" and he got mad at me. I learnt my lesson. It doesnt matter what the politically correct term is - they are NOT kids after age 13 in their eyes. They are teenagers.

:eek3: I will be technically middle aged in a few years *gasp* so yeah I would be pissed off if someone called me middle aged even though it is technical.

Bottom line - no one likes labels period.

LuciaDisturbed´s post
I disagree. Anyone under 18 is still a CHILD.

Okay for now...

Youth

Definition:

1. time when somebody is young: the period of human life between childhood and maturity

2. time of being young: the state of being young

3. young man: a boy or young man in his teens or early twenties

youth definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

Kid

kid [ kid ]

noun (plural kids)

Definition:

1. child: a young child ( informal )

2. youth: a young person ( informal )

kid definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

Teenager

Definition:

young person aged 13 to 19: a young person between the ages of 13 and 19

teenager definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

teens

Definition:

1. years between 13 and 19: the years in somebody's life between the ages of 13 and 19, or the years between 13 and 19 in a century

2. 13 to 19: the numbers ending in "-teen"

teens definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

Lucia, you will be surprised when you deal with your future teenagers... It´s total different as kid... because they like to being treat like young adult or teens or youth because it make them feel mature.

My 10 and 11 year old daughters are what you call "tweens". They get upset if someone calls either one of them "kid". They dont view themselves as kids.

I once called a 13 year old boy a "kid" and he got mad at me. I learnt my lesson. It doesnt matter what the politically correct term is - they are NOT kids after age 13 in their eyes. They are teenagers.

:eek3: I will be technically middle aged in a few years *gasp* so yeah I would be pissed off if someone called me middle aged even though it is technical.

Exactly...

I know myself because I deal with teenage son. I look at him... He is no longer kid but youth or young man. He already have puberty. We communicate each other in adult way. He would not communicate with me if I treat him as kid or young child. In my heart, I know he is still my baby but I has to show my respect on him and what he is. That´s how we have good bond because I see him as young adult or teenager, not kid or young child.

I see this two ways.

First, in the eyes of the law, if you're under the age of 18, you're a kid. It doesn't matter how old you are. Legally, you don't have the same rights as an adult. That's the first point.

Secondly, I was raised with the same idea in mind. In my household, I was considered a kid until I turned 18. That's just how it was. I didn't see it as right or wrong, and I still don't. We didn't worry about labels in my house. It was very simple. Mom and Dad were the parents, and I was the child. How I felt about certain things didn't matter as I didn't have a "vote". Things were very black and white in my house. My parents also didn't give a crap about political correctness or how it made us feel. There were also no apologies for anything.

More of adolescent same meaning as a teenager, It falls between childhood and adulthood. I don't think Steel X meant to call her a child, a kid is another word for teenager I believe.

But I see different.

SteelX should use her screenname instead of label her as "kid".

Kid = young child

I vote NO because I treat my teenage son as youth or teenage or young man, not kid.

I didn't mind being called a kid. My parents call me kiddo once in a while. I'm their parents but I'm on my own and I'm proud to be a kid no matter what the age is. That's how I see it. I don't like political corrections and that's pretty lame in my opinion. Kid or not, there's no different...it's just how the people view it, not how to say it properly...some like it some don't. Most of the time my parents call me young man today. ;)

Gemtun,

You made my day laughing hell lotsa...
Your quote: :eek3: I will be technically middle aged in a few years *gasp* so yeah I would be pissed off if someone called me middle aged even though it is technical.
Actually If I were you.. I would flip my mind off.. I don't want anyone call'n me... Ohhh you're old fart or middle aged.. label.. Just say.. Older.. soft laughing.. I don't mind If I'm old fart momma.. sort of I feel still younger mother.. I'm 38 yrs old now... almost reach over the hill incoming way within 2 yrs left to go... *antsy*~ :run:

I see this two ways.

First, in the eyes of the law, if you're under the age of 18, you're a kid. It doesn't matter how old you are. Legally, you don't have the same rights as an adult. That's the first point.

The law come first before consider your own children´s welfare/feeling? :eek3:

Secondly, I was raised with the same idea in mind. In my household, I was considered a kid until I turned 18. That's just how it was. I didn't see it as right or wrong, and I still don't. We didn't worry about labels in my house. It was very simple. Mom and Dad were the parents, and I was the child. How I felt about certain things didn't matter as I didn't have a "vote". Things were very black and white in my house. My parents also didn't give a crap about political correctness or how it made us feel. There were also no apologies for anything.

I´m glad that my Dad and grandparents didn´t treat me as kid when I was teenager. I was being taught what right or wrong... I´m glad that they show their respect on me as young adult.

I'm going to reply further.

Given the subject matter, I don't think you should use a poll to single anyone out. I don't think this is fair, because we're talking about ideals in how we each grew up and were shaped by the way in which we were tought. We're also talking about philosophies. We can all agree to disagree, but I don't think we should get into finger pointing. This is not a right or wrong type of thing.

That's like saying..."How do you raise your child.." We all have different ways of doing so (for those of us who have children).

Liebling, I feel I struck a nerve with you. I can't help that. My opinion is just that. An opinion based solely on the way I was raised. I also felt your comments were a bit personal. But, to each his own. I've never apologized for my opinions, and I'm not about to start now.

Back