Do you support a cure for deafness?

Do you support a cure for deafness?

• Total voters
Majority of us here have tinnitus and had it all our life. I have it bad as well That sometimes it sound like it is singing like the Phantom ghost . But it doesn't bother me.

If you search Tinnitus on ALLDEAF, you can see that majority of us have it.

Maybe we all should support a cure for titannus. It seems to be harder to deal with than deafness.

I get intermittent tinnitus so I am familiar with just how annoying it is, Pro Cure. Tinnitus or no tinnitus, people on these forums are still entitled to the opinions they hold about a cure for deafness.

I'm much more supportive of a cure for tinnitus than I am for a cure for deafness. I have mixed feelings about a cure for deafness.

I can see why many late deafened would want a cure but for those of us who have known nothing but deafness, even a cure won't exactly make us hearing cuz there's more to hearing than just being able to hear. It would mean an end to a way for many of us as well.

I've had tinnitus on and off all my life though it didn't get severe till I was 19 and to the point where I no longer could wear my HA for long.

Mine is 24/7......I even have it in the right ear even though everything was removed. What I seem to have that I have never heard anyone mention is about 15-20 different sounds going on at the same time. It's like a really bad concert. I do notice that they are much quieter when I cut back on caffine.

I have tinnitus real bad. I hear multiple sounds in the head constantly. There are time when it is like ball bearings in a metal pie pan being spun around and then there are times when it is just a loud muffler noise.

I also have times where all I can "hear" is various types of musical instruments each playing their own song. Really drives me crazy. I have had this since childhood and thought it was normal, so I never complained. Who knew?

I have since checked into it, and found out what it is. Since I've dealt with it for so long, I almost would feel lost without it. It least with my total deafness, it's something, right?

I have learnt something ,I didnt relise so many of you have Tinnitus.
How you deal with it is surprising and that it does not worry many of you.
A cure for tinnitus ,yes please , as soon as possible.
The hearing loss part I would like to see a cure but I could deal without one.
My tinnitus is crazy ,like a splitting headache combined with a kettle on steroids.
It does lower in volume in the morning but then it takes its daily dose of steroids in the afternoon.

I have joined this forum as a unfortunate unlaterially Late deafened person who was a Laboratory scientist not so long ago.
The main reason for joining this forum is to state my complete and utter disappointment and frustration with those who move against a cure for hearing.
Has anyone here heard of Tinnitus.For some people including the late deafened me ,this is the most disturbing and unforseen circumstance of hearing loss.
Maybe people against a cure should have a look at a few tinnitus forums before considering thier verdict on a cure.I have known the absolute amazment of sound to emotion and feelings and if I had a choice id rather be hearing than have my legs.
Have your culture but do not assume that hearing loss is all good and preservation is in everyones minds.For some it leads them to eternal suffering through the tinnitus it creates and the sounds they wish to hear again.I am so hoping for a cure for the loss ive had due to two weeks of antibiotic medication that has turned my life upside down !!!

You are preaching to the choir! lol Almost ALL of us have tinnitus lol...so we've definitely "heard of tinnitus" :ty: I am all for a cure of tinnitus..i hate mine but deal with it haha ...as for cure for deafenss..i like being deaf haha great at the end of a long day to relax grab some nice pjs...a nice crackling fire would be even better andddd takin my ha's out..ahhh bliss:)

Maybe we all should support a cure for titannus. It seems to be harder to deal with than deafness.

I did not know so many deaf people have tinnitus. I have known a few hearing people with it and they said it drove them crazy at times. One in particular I thought had a severe psychotic disorder until I discovered he was not reacting to his environment but to the severity of his tinnitus at the moment.

Question: Someone here mentioned they have tinnitus even though everything was taken out of their ear -- Would this be related to phantom limb syndrome? (A friend of mine who lost his leg complained the bottom of his nonexistent foot itched continuously).

I did not know so many deaf people have tinnitus. I have known a few hearing people with it and they said it drove them crazy at times. One in particular I thought had a severe psychotic disorder until I discovered he was not reacting to his environment but to the severity of his tinnitus at the moment.

Question: Someone here mentioned they have tinnitus even though everything was taken out of their ear -- Would this be related to phantom limb syndrome? (A friend of mine who lost his leg complained the bottom of his nonexistent foot itched continuously).

I dont suffer from it either. However, I do get it every now and then and I didnt like it at all.

I empathize with people who suffer from it constantly.

My tinnitus get so bad at times, that whenever I do a hearing test at the audiologist, I can't tell the difference between a soft beep and my tinnitus. When I was little girl, I used to blame on hearing test for my tinnitus. I used to think they were the one who caused it because it sounded like my hearing test.

another thing, everytime I start thinking about my tinnitus while my processor/aid is off (and sometimes on but I'm too busy listening to other things)... it will show up. If I don't think about it, I don't notice it. Sometimes my tinnitus sounds like a crackles. sometimes beeping like my hearing soundbooth test, and sometimes it sound like music. At night when I sleep, my tinnitus tend to be the background music for my dream (like musics you hear when you watch a sad or love moment at movies)

I had this all my life. ever since I was alittle girl so that's why it doesn't bother me as much.

That was me. My Dr explained that it was exactly like phantom limb. He said that is why it is so hard to treat, because it is actually in the brain and related to the ears rather than being in the ears.

Just to give people an idea of what tinnitus is like. These are the sounds I hear right now. (my apologies if this offends anyone that has never heard these sounds)

Right ear.....2 sounds One similar to the hum of a vibrating sander and the other a constant high pitched beep

Left ear.....A beep that sounds like Morse code,The same sander sound but lower.the sound of an electric razor trimming hair (it sounds different than when the razor is just on) and a sound of locusts early on a summer evening.

All of those at the same time......Sometimes the hums will get higher or lower, louder or softer. Sometimes I will also hear a sound like 2 drumsticks are tapping together.

Just to give people an idea of what tinnitus is like. These are the sounds I hear right now. (my apologies if this offends anyone that has never heard these sounds)

Right ear.....2 sounds One similar to the hum of a vibrating sander and the other a constant high pitched beep

Left ear.....A beep that sounds like Morse code,The same sander sound but lower.the sound of an electric razor trimming hair (it sounds different than when the razor is just on) and a sound of locusts early on a summer evening.

All of those at the same time......Sometimes the hums will get higher or lower, louder or softer. Sometimes I will also hear a sound like 2 drumsticks are tapping together.

quite a handful of us do have tinnitus. I don't but eventually - I will... maybe. Tinnitus is mostly the result of nerve damage (think broken electrical wire with sparks all over). Similar to "Phantom Limb"

quite a handful of us do have tinnitus. I don't but eventually - I will... maybe. Tinnitus is mostly the result of nerve damage (think broken electrical wire with sparks all over). Similar to "Phantom Limb"

Interesting. We were discussing phantom limb earlier.......I didn't realize tinnitus was nerve damage. Or if I knew that I forgot.

I know many have it. I was surprised to find out not everyone (deaf) has it.

Interesting. We were discussing phantom limb earlier.......I didn't realize tinnitus was nerve damage. Or if I knew that I forgot.

I know many have it. I was surprised to find out not everyone (deaf) has it.

going to your other thread since it's more relevant.

Back