Do you suffer from ocd ?

Gee. My 16-years-old niece just quit Zoloft a few weeks ago. She was on Zoloft for a year. Her parents are afraid of her now because of her manic moods. They decided that they will find a good alternative doctor soon for a better medicine without side effects. I think that they were talking about seeing a homeopathic doctor for their daughter.

In a short, I watched on 20/20 news last year or two. A young boy was on Zoloft, and he killed his parents without his thinking. The Zoloft Company won the case, and they put the boy in a prison for about 25 years.

Other sources (from Google):

Pfizer Sued in California: Covering up Zoloft Side Effects - Health Supreme

No shit, I hate Zoloft (took it for behavior and emotion issue) so much and stopped after 2 weeks of usage after terrible fought with other student in last 4 years ago, also Zoloft make me to think about want drop out the high school but lucky about therapist was heavier encouraged me to stay at high school, that's very terrible life during teenager era.

No shit, I hate Zoloft (took it for behavior and emotion issue) so much and stopped after 2 weeks of usage after terrible fought with other student in last 4 years ago, also Zoloft make me to think about want drop out the high school but lucky about therapist was heavier encouraged me to stay at high school, that's very terrible life during teenager era.

Zoloft is not reccommended for children. Any doctor that prescribes in it for a child is prescribing off label. Nor is it intended to be prescribed for behavior problems. It is a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, and is used to balance serotonin levels in the brain. If a patient does not have a disorder that is created by out of balance serotoinin levels, it can be dangerous.

Good luck with the meds regimine. Glad to know that you have a psychiatrist you are comfortable working with. I'll be interested to hear how you fare with the CBT. Keep up the good work, highlands.

I haven't started the formal process of cbt but I searched for books on neurotic mental disorders such as ocd,social phobia and anxiety. I've tried to have some abstract information and to get knowledge on practical approaches for treatment of ocd and social phobia from which I suffer .

I've seen that it is very useful to try to see the whole picture of the mental structure of a typical person with ocd or social phobia.

I've been getting very small improvements for now but I know this is a very long process with lots of burden and work.

I like the way cbt works.

Can you tell me a little about gelstat therapy ? Could it be useful for treatment of ocd or social phobia ?

Zoloft is not reccommended for children. Any doctor that prescribes in it for a child is prescribing off label. Nor is it intended to be prescribed for behavior problems. It is a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, and is used to balance serotonin levels in the brain. If a patient does not have a disorder that is created by out of balance serotoinin levels, it can be dangerous.

OK. Why a doctor gives Zoloft to the children? The doctor should know better not to give it to them. Many doctors are still doing it now.

Is a 16-years-old kid an adult? :dunno2:

I haven't started the formal process of cbt but I searched for books on neurotic mental disorders such as ocd,social phobia and anxiety. I've tried to have some abstract information and to get knowledge on practical approaches for treatment of ocd and social phobia from which I suffer .

I've seen that it is very useful to try to see the whole picture of the mental structure of a typical person with ocd or social phobia.

I've been getting very small improvements for now but I know this is a very long process with lots of burden and work.

I like the way cbt works.

Can you tell me a little about gelstat therapy ? Could it be useful for treatment of ocd or social phobia ?

Sure. Gestalt theory sees the person as a whole, rather than just as parts that make up the whole. Gestalt therapists are very attuned to both verbal and nonverbal behaviors, and often point out contradictions in such to clients. For instance, a client who smiles while talking about a particularly painful incident. People who have unfinished business from their past often block emotions in the present that remind them unconsciously of past events. Also, people often hold onto coping mechanisms that once served them well in a particular situation, but are no longer useful to us. When we try to apply those coping mechanisms in the here and now, they do not work, and thus, create problems in coping with everyday life. I beleive this is the root of all neurosis.

If you would like a more in depth explanation, feel free to pm me, or I can refer you to a couple of excellent books and articles on Gestalt theory. This approach has been found useful in treatment of all disorders, including social phobias and ocd.

OK. Why a doctor gives Zoloft to the children? The doctor should know better not to give it to them. Many doctors are still doing it now.

Is a 16-years-old kid an adult? :dunno2:

The simple answer is, doctors often prescribe off lable. And in the case of a severe depression, they often feel that the benefits out weigh the side effects. No, a 16 year old is not an adult.

Sure. Gestalt theory sees the person as a whole, rather than just as parts that make up the whole. Gestalt therapists are very attuned to both verbal and nonverbal behaviors, and often point out contradictions in such to clients. For instance, a client who smiles while talking about a particularly painful incident. People who have unfinished business from their past often block emotions in the present that remind them unconsciously of past events. Also, people often hold onto coping mechanisms that once served them well in a particular situation, but are no longer useful to us. When we try to apply those coping mechanisms in the here and now, they do not work, and thus, create problems in coping with everyday life. I beleive this is the root of all neurosis.

If you would like a more in depth explanation, feel free to pm me, or I can refer you to a couple of excellent books and articles on Gestalt theory. This approach has been found useful in treatment of all disorders, including social phobias and ocd.

Thanks for explanation. The therapy is currently new to me. I even did have difficulty in understanding bases of cbt . I first want to complete my cbt therapy and then I may want to enter deeper therapy ways like gestalt.

How do you apply the gestalt therapy to treatment of ocd ?

Can you tell me weakness points of the cbt therapy ? I read that some therapists criticize this therapy.

Thanks for explanation. The therapy is currently new to me. I even did have difficulty in understanding bases of cbt . I first want to complete my cbt therapy and then I may want to enter deeper therapy ways like gestalt.

How do you apply the gestalt therapy to treatment of ocd ?

Can you tell me weakness points of the cbt therapy ? I read that some therapists criticize this therapy.

There are weaknesses in any theory. That is why you need to be sceptical of a therapist who is not willing to integrate other theories into his practice when they are needed with certain clients. Sticking to one theoretical appraoch come hell or high water just doesn't work, because you will always have clients that respond better to a different approach. The best therapists have a strong theoretical foundation that guides them that is related to their personal view of human nature and how people change, but will integrate other theories as needed. For instance, I am strongly Gestalt in my foundation, but will use techniques from Reality or Choice Theory, CBT, and Existential Theories when I need them.

The main drawback with CBT is that it deals with the thoughts and behaviors on a superficial level. It is effective in producing change, but the critics question whether that change can truly be long lasting and complete without addressing the emotional aspects, as well. I tend to agree with this. All of our behaviors, from my perspective, are caused by an emotional reaction or an attempt to fill an emotional need. Like, with OCD, behaviors develop because one has an emotional need to feel safe, so we develop behaviors that allow is to feel safe in some way. Then, these behaviors get out of control, and rather than allowing us to feel safe, they begin to create problems. Like I posted earlier that we have coping mechanisms that served us well in the past, but fail to serve us well in the here and now.

I think you have a good handle on all of this. I see nothing wrong with using CBT to change the immediate behaviors and allow you to regain some control over your behaviors. Then, once you have accomplished that, you might want to explore some of the emotional components behind the disorder to prevent it recurring in the future with different behaviors.

Thanks for the explanation. As far as I see, gestalt therapy explores problems or disorders in a much deeper perspective whereas cbt therapy is simpler and may be more appropriate in a quick recovery step before preparing the patient for more advanced steps.

As you said, I want to get a quick recory process of cbt and social phobia . After I have gotton enough confidence and relax I could go much deeper subjects .

In a few hours , I want to start a new thread about my treatment and share my experience with you and others there. I already have a thread in another forum but the new one will be the international version :)

There are weaknesses in any theory. That is why you need to be sceptical of a therapist who is not willing to integrate other theories into his practice when they are needed with certain clients. Sticking to one theoretical appraoch come hell or high water just doesn't work, because you will always have clients that respond better to a different approach. The best therapists have a strong theoretical foundation that guides them that is related to their personal view of human nature and how people change, but will integrate other theories as needed. For instance, I am strongly Gestalt in my foundation, but will use techniques from Reality or Choice Theory, CBT, and Existential Theories when I need them.

The main drawback with CBT is that it deals with the thoughts and behaviors on a superficial level. It is effective in producing change, but the critics question whether that change can truly be long lasting and complete without addressing the emotional aspects, as well. I tend to agree with this. All of our behaviors, from my perspective, are caused by an emotional reaction or an attempt to fill an emotional need. Like, with OCD, behaviors develop because one has an emotional need to feel safe, so we develop behaviors that allow is to feel safe in some way. Then, these behaviors get out of control, and rather than allowing us to feel safe, they begin to create problems. Like I posted earlier that we have coping mechanisms that served us well in the past, but fail to serve us well in the here and now.

I think you have a good handle on all of this. I see nothing wrong with using CBT to change the immediate behaviors and allow you to regain some control over your behaviors. Then, once you have accomplished that, you might want to explore some of the emotional components behind the disorder to prevent it recurring in the future with different behaviors.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation. As far as I see, gestalt therapy expolores problems or disorders in a much deeper perspective whereas cbt therapy is simpler and may be more appropriate in a quick recovery step before preparing the patient for more advanced steps.

As you said, I want to get a quick recory process of cbt and social phobia . After I have gotton enough confidence and relax I could go much deeper subjects .

In a few hours , I want to start a new thread about my treatment and share my experience with you and others there. I already have a thread in another forum but the new one will be the international version :)

You've got it. CBT is limited to addressing Cognitions (thoughts) and Behaviors. Gestalt goes a little deeper by looking at the ways in which a person incorporates those into his/her life and environment by using them to fulfill an emotional need. In other words, it seeks to make the client aware of the root of those behaviors so they can deal with it, and make a more lasting change by coming to terms with past emotional causes. Once we are aware of how our emotions control our thoughts and behaviors, we are free to make lasting changes. Gestalt sees the person as more than their thoughts and behaviors, and seeks to integrate all aspects of a person's life experience into a healthy, well functioning whole.

I look forward to your new thread. I will certainly be visiting.

OCD-obessive complusive disorder

Obessive complusive disorder like movie, "As good as it get" with actress Helen Hunt and Jack Nicolson (not sure to spelling his last name)

People have different OCD.

Obessive with _____

(For example)

plucking eyebrow

cleaning over and over even it's already clean (totally neat-freak)

checking car under over and oer (I saw a guy in real life, he check his car over and over everyday, I thought he was crazy but not, just OCD).

They have treatment for people with OCD but some people refuse taking medication.

This was discussed here not too long ago.

I think I used to have that symptom - whenever I leave home, I would go back to the house to make sure the water is off and doors are fastened, etc.

I don't do any more. I just check everything before I leave.

Brian is right.. this have been discussed before on other thread.

I tend to wash my hands often even after touching doorknobs, puppies, kittens, even my remote control and everything. i would have to wash my remote control, my cell phone and spray with lysol ... i have parnoid due to germs.. ugh! haha!

This was discussed here not too long ago.

I think I used to have that symptom - whenever I leave home, I would go back to the house to make sure the water is off and doors are fastened, etc.

I don't do any more. I just check everything before I leave.

How many time u go back to the house?

Some people go back to the house like 10 times.

I didn't know it was already dicussed on this topic before.
I was still new this month.

ohh ocd! some were dangerous behaivor! but i know there are many different kind of ocd!

worst part is ODD.. very dangerous if there person who has it! forget it!

i know one person has that.. now that person already "labored" name to everyone as that person is very bad danger.. so they are not hang out anymore..

I tend to wash my hands often even after touching doorknobs, puppies, kittens, even my remote control and everything. i would have to wash my remote control, my cell phone and spray with lysol ... i have parnoid due to germs.. ugh! haha![/QUOTE]

My mom is a germ-phobic.

How many time u go back to the house?

Some people go back to the house like 10 times.

I didn't know it was already dicussed on this topic before.
I was still new this month.
That's what the SEARCH feature is for. Just do a search for a topic. If you can't find it, then you can go ahead and make a new thread about it. :)

Back