Do you suffer from ocd ?

The salmonella poisoning was probably a one-time thing. I'm sure that you have hurt yourself while handling meat a lot in the past, but nothing happened... until that one time.

We aren't always aware of things until it happens to us, then it seems to only happen when we see it.

For example, I used to drive a red LeBaron convertible (white top). When I started driving that car, I began to notice that a lot of other people had the same car I did. At first, I thought it was because it was a popular car. I then realized that it was because I was paying more attention to it. I started driving that LeBaron in 1992, but the car itself was a 1990 model. I saw a lot of 1990 models driving around too. Does that mean everyone suddenly started buying 1990 models? No. It's just because I noticed it... cuz I owned it. When I switched to a Saturn, it happened again... I saw a lot of people driving Saturns. That's cuz I'm "thinking" about it.

So, you probably handled meat a lot in the past while wearing bandaids or with a scrape or a cut, but didn't pay attention. One day, you get sick and you suddenly remember what you were doing when it happened. Now, it's stuck in your head as if it always happens when you are hurt. Try not to think about it. :)

Yeah but still handling the meats especially if it have listeine in it and having to bleach the cutting board etc.. i have to make sure i have my hands being clean completely due to grimes.. ugh! its real nasty! grrr..

Thanks for the advice.. try not to think about it.. ha! :P

No, but I know a famous actress, Joan Crawford had the similar disorder, It has something to do with cleanliness. She was an abusive mother back then. Ever watched the movie "Mommie Dearest?" It's about Joan Crawford, and how she acts forward her daughter, Christine.

Yes I saw that movie b4 but haven't seen it with closed caption yet.

Not to the fetish state where they chap their hands or cause other injury, but I wish more people, especially those you prepare and serve food, would get the obsession to wash their hands thoroughly and often.

A mild preoccupation to re-check locks on doors and windows . . . to make stove-tops, medicines, cleaning supplies, and guns safe . . . is not a bad thing for deafies who really need an extra edge on personal safety.

Of course there's a fie line between beneficial habits and unhealthy compulsions which control us.

Before I can write or edit, I need to have the bed made, dishes done, and the apartment straightened, dusted, and vacuumed (also my hands clean before I open the computer). Otherwise, I can't seem to concentrate. So far it's only been annoying when I have an urgent deadline to meet and I'm still fooling around with stuff that can wait till later.

I think we all have our little eccentricities, and need things to be done a certain way to be comfortable. That doesn't mean we all have OCD. OCD is really a very complicated disease, and there are many symptoms that have to be present for a diagnosis. For instance, people who was their hands frequently because they have a fixation on cleanliness are probably not OCD, but germ phobic. A person who washes their hands so compulsively that it interferes with their ability to leave the house, and who suffers anxiety so severe if they aren't permitted to engage in the handwashing routine, however, would probably be OCD. Likewise with a person who has to perform a ritual a given number of times or they will experience extreme anxiety that interrupts their life. A person can have an obessession without a compulsion, and a compulsion without an obsession. These people don't have OCD. With OCD, the obsession (thought) creates severe anxiety, and the compulsion (action) relieves the anxiety.

Jillo I think you are right. I may am germphobic because I can leave home and go to store and do things so it couldnt be OCD but i was told I do have OCD but it have to be determined by dr first before I say i have it? :) I think i am insane with germs all over me then. :P

No, but I know a famous actress, Joan Crawford had the similar disorder, It has something to do with cleanliness. She was an abusive mother back then. Ever watched the movie "Mommie Dearest?" It's about Joan Crawford, and how she acts forward her daughter, Christine.

I seen her movie and "Mommie Dearest" was chilling and sad. She been so phyically, verbal and mentally abusive to her daughter Christina. I don't know how she deal with her mother for so many years. But I am sure she been emotionally scarred by her adpoted mother. I think she more obessive of being famous and all that fame goes to her head.

Jillo I think you are right. I may am germphobic because I can leave home and go to store and do things so it couldnt be OCD but i was told I do have OCD but it have to be determined by dr first before I say i have it? :) I think i am insane with germs all over me then. :P

Yes, actually, a clinical psychologist or a Liscensed Professional Clinical Cousnelor could diagnose the disorder. They both use DSM IV (R) criteria for diagnosing. People a lot of times will use the term "OCD" for any knid of behavior like you describe, but they don't have all of the symptoms necessary to be diagnosed with OCD. Germ phobic is really more common than true OCD.

I got some compulsions of my own, too. Is the front door locked. Is the iron unplugged? Is my hair curler unplugged? (I ended up bought one that turns itself off) Is the stove/oven off? My bum once turned on the oven without my realizing it so I took all the knobs off when not using it. I use microwave lot of times. Is the garage door down? Ever since the garage door remote trouble caused to open the garage door at odd times. My mother's remote and mine messed up and caused the garage door to be opened even we are not doing anything. My mother had to take both remotes in to have them checked out and replaced one of them. I still check the garage door eventhough my mother no longer drive.

oh i almost forgot.. i have to make sure I have my keys in same place all times.. if its not there then i would freak... I would get nervous by then my panic attack will happen and before long i would feel like i will start to sweat and get hot.. heart baeting so fast and hands get clammy...breathing fast.. where is my stupid keys!!!! looking and looking.. then found it.. YAYAY! i felt better.. LOL... grrr i hate it..

same goes for my hearing aid... one time i couldnt find my hearing aid.. my niece got them and played with it.. i couldnt find it for days... then one day my mom heard EEEEEE noise and looked for it and found my hearing aid! Good thing I did left the battery in it cuz normally I dont leave battery in.. so that basically helped us to find it.. whew!!!! so from now on i put my hearing aid in same place every day.. so i will know where it is.. :D if not there then u know i will have panic attack .. grrrr..

oh i almost forgot.. i have to make sure I have my keys in same place all times.. if its not there then i would freak... I would get nervous by then my panic attack will happen and before long i would feel like i will start to sweat and get hot.. heart baeting so fast and hands get clammy...breathing fast.. where is my stupid keys!!!! looking and looking.. then found it.. YAYAY! i felt better.. LOL... grrr i hate it..

same goes for my hearing aid... one time i couldnt find my hearing aid.. my niece got them and played with it.. i couldnt find it for days... then one day my mom heard EEEEEE noise and looked for it and found my hearing aid! Good thing I did left the battery in it cuz normally I dont leave battery in.. so that basically helped us to find it.. whew!!!! so from now on i put my hearing aid in same place every day.. so i will know where it is.. :D if not there then u know i will have panic attack .. grrrr..

LOL! Those are understandable obsessions! I also need to know where my keys are, and freak out if they aren't in the usual place. And when my son was little, he would hide his hearing aids from me, so I had to know where they were all the time, too. I would check his ears just to make sure that they were there. If he hid them from me, it would take me forever to find them, 'cuz when I asked him "Where" he would always sign "Don't know! Gone."

Its weird cuz I was just discussing with a friend of mine about OCD just last week. She was diagnosed with OCD and I asked her what it could do or what it means. She told me alot about it. I'm beginning to think I have OCD. Its probably very mild.

As for me, I've noticed that I think about death all the time. I think "what if we wrecked and went over a bridge, how will we do it?" "what if my husband got shot, where will he be buried, how he wants it" "what if my daughter drowns and I'll go crazy and probably "kill" myself" just that kind of thing. I have alot of thoughts running in my head all the time. As far as cleaning, i really don't care. When I sit and someone comes and sit with me and touches my elbow, I kinda jerk away. (not intentionally). I realized I may have a very mild case of OCD.

People who are addicted to alldeaf.com is mild of OCD? :lol:

I believe I am OCD-free.

People who are addicted to alldeaf.com is mild of OCD? :lol:

I believe I am OCD-free.

haha I can stay away from AD for few days. I dont have to come in. :P i have done it in the past. so i know i am not addicted to AD. :P

I am getting improvements over my disorder. It is a very long process but eventually it will bring some or more comfort of life. My therapy,cognitive behavior therapy, is going to start on wednesday morning. wish me luck.

I am getting improvements over my disorder. It is a very long process but eventually it will bring some or more comfort of life. My therapy,cognitive behavior therapy, is going to start on wednesday morning. wish me luck.

CBT plus meds is very effective in dealing with OCD. I wish you all the luck in the world, highlands.

CBT plus meds is very effective in dealing with OCD. I wish you all the luck in the world, highlands.

Thanks ,I'm already on medication .It's called lustral (sertralin HCI ) and may have a different name in usa . I'm at beginner level dosage yet , 50 mg a day. I think my doctor will increase dose to 100 to 200 mg .

Thanks ,I'm already on medication .It's called lustral (sertralin HCI ) and may have a different name in usa . I'm at beginner level dosage yet , 50 mg a day. I think my doctor will increase dose to 100 to 200 mg .

I'm familiar with the medication. It is one of the most prescribed for OCD. It will help to relieve your anxiety associated with the disorder, and also make the CBT much easier for you.

Back