Do you suffer from ocd ?

I'm familiar with the medication. It is one of the most prescribed for OCD. It will help to relieve your anxiety associated with the disorder, and also make the CBT much easier for you.

I hope so,too . This will take me some time,though.

I started a thread in another forum site of my own country .I'm sharing my improvement and daily progress on that forum :)

I hope so,too . This will take me some time,though.

I started a thread in another forum site of my own country .I'm sharing my improvement and daily progress on that forum :)

Good for you, highlands. I admire the courage you are showing in taking the steps to deal with your disorder. Sharing your progress with others (as well as any difficulties you experience with treatment) is a wonderful way to both give and receive support. In fact, ind ealing with problems with OCD and many other disorders, support groups have been found to be very instrumental in recovery. Please keep me informed, as well, of your progress.

I'm "in" on the key fetish. I have a quick-access lock box for artillery, wallet, cell phone, and keys. Plus extra keys are in wallet and other stategic places.

I've always believed in sitting on a parachute while flying, using an umbrella as a cane even for short walks, and keeping a hide-out derringer up my sleeve playing poker with strangers.

I'm "in" on the key fetish. I have a quick-access lock box for artillery, wallet, cell phone, and keys. Plus extra keys are in wallet and other stategic places.

I've always believed in sitting on a parachute while flying, using an umbrella as a cane even for short walks, and keeping a hide-out derringer up my sleeve playing poker with strangers.

:giggle:

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder:
What It Is and How to Treat It

What is obsessive-compulsive disorder?

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an illness that causes people to have unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and to repeat certain behaviors (compulsions) over and over again. We all have habits and routines in our daily lives, such as brushing our teeth before bed. However, for people with OCD, patterns of behavior get in the way of their daily lives.

Most people with OCD know that their obsessions and compulsions make no sense, but they can't ignore or stop them.

What are obsessions?

Obsessions are ideas, images and impulses that run through the person's mind over and over again. A person with OCD doesn't want to have these thoughts and finds them disturbing, but he or she can't control them. Sometimes these thoughts just come once in a while and are only mildly annoying. Other times, a person who has OCD will have obsessive thoughts all the time.

What are compulsions?

Obsessive thoughts make people who have OCD feel nervous and afraid. They try to get rid of these feelings by performing certain behaviors according to "rules" that they make up for themselves. These behaviors are called compulsions. (Compulsive behaviors are sometimes also called rituals.) For example, a person who has OCD may have obsessive thoughts about germs. Because of these thoughts, the person may wash his or her hands repeatedly after using a public toilet. Performing these behaviors usually only makes the nervous feelings go away for a short time. When the fear and nervousness return, the person who has OCD repeats the routine all over again.

What are some common obsessions?

The following are some common obsessions:

• Fear of dirt or germs
  • Disgust with bodily waste or fluids
  • Concern with order, symmetry (balance) and exactness
  • Worry that a task has been done poorly, even when the person knows this is not true
  • Fear of thinking evil or sinful thoughts
  • Thinking about certain sounds, images, words or numbers all the time
  • Need for constant reassurance
  • Fear of harming a family member or friend

What are some common compulsions?
The following are some common compulsions:

• Cleaning and grooming, such as washing hands, showering or brushing teeth over and over again
  • Checking drawers, door locks and appliances to be sure they are shut, locked or turned off
  • Repeating, such as going in and out of a door, sitting down and getting up from a chair, or touching certain objects several times
  • Ordering and arranging items in certain ways
  • Counting over and over to a certain number
  • Saving newspapers, mail or containers when they are no longer needed
  • Seeking constant reassurance and approval

How common is OCD?

For many years, OCD was thought to be rare. Some recent studies show that as many as 3 million Americans ages 18 to 54 may have OCD at any one time. This is about 2.3% of the people in this age group. OCD affects men and women equally.

What causes OCD?

No one has found a single, proven cause for OCD. Some research shows that it may have to do with chemicals in the brain that carry messages from one nerve cell to another. One of these chemicals, called serotonin (say "seer-oh-tone-in"), helps to keep people from repeating the same behaviors over and over again. A person who has OCD may not have enough serotonin. Many people who have OCD can function better when they take medicines that increase the amount of serotonin in their brain.

Are other illnesses associated with OCD?

People who have OCD often have other kinds of anxiety, like phobias (such as fear of spiders or fear of flying) or panic attacks.

People who have OCD also may have depression, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), an eating disorder or a learning disorder such as dyslexia.

Having one or more of these disorders can make diagnosis and treatment more difficult, so it's important to talk to your doctor about any symptoms you have, even if you're embarrassed.

How is OCD treated?

Several medicines are available to treat OCD. These medicines include: clomipramine (brand name: Anafranil), fluoxetine (brand name: Prozac), sertraline (brand name: Zoloft), paroxetine (brand name: Paxil) and fluvoxamine (brand name: Luvox). These drugs can cause side effects such as dry mouth, nausea and drowsiness. Sometimes they also affect a person's sexual performance. It may be several weeks before you see an improvement in your behavior.

Under the guidance of a trained therapist, behavioral therapy can also be used to treat OCD. In behavioral therapy, people face situations that cause or trigger their obsessions and anxiety. Then they are encouraged not to perform the rituals that usually help control their nervous feelings. For example, a person who is obsessed with germs might be encouraged to use a public toilet without washing his or her hands more than once. To use this method, a person who has OCD must be able to tolerate the high levels of anxiety that can result from the experience.

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: What It Is and How to Treat It -- familydoctor.org

My personally opinion is go to behavior therapy than take medicine. Why? because behavior therapist would give you tips how to train your behavior in positive way but medicine?

Sure, medicine can make obsession behavior less but would you take medicine forever without learn positive? I prefer behavior training over medicine because it would help children and adult how to learn positive way and how to deal negative into positive, etc. Something like that sports, hobbies, etc.

Some people confused "habit" with OCD that's why I would recommend them to see therapist to find out themselves either it's really OCD or not?

My personally opinion is go to behavior therapy than take medicine. Why? because behavior therapist would give you tips how to train your behavior in positive way but medicine?

Sure, medicine can make obsession behavior less but would you take medicine forever without learn positive? I prefer behavior training over medicine because it would help children and adult how to learn positive way and how to deal negative into positive, etc. Something like that sports, hobbies, etc.

Some people confused "habit" with OCD that's why I would recommend them to see therapist to find out themselves either it's really OCD or not?

I agree. Therapy is very useful in treating OCD, but it has also found to be most effective when it is combined with meds. Likewise, meds are found to be most successful in treating OCD when combined with threrapy. Cognitive behavior therapy is the most widely used theory, I would say, but there have been other theoretical approaches used successfully, as well.

I just now read this.. and I do have obession with nbr 6... I have bad lucks on 6th.. I refused to go anywhere on 6th.. I have to stay home and stay inside.. I do have paranoid that something can and will happen on 6th..

like for example..
The earliest memory i have on march 6th- I was 6 yrs old.. I was stuck at school and couldnt get to go home due to snow storm.
I broke my middle bird finger on july 6th.
I had spiderbite by brown reculuse on my knee when i was 16 on 26th.
I was 16 when I had allergic reaction to amoxicillian and I couldnt go to Illnois for basketball tourney. I was so MAD!!!!

my cousin died on 6th..
my twins were born on oct 6th.
my son's stepmom's bday is on april 6th.
My son's father and his wife got married on Dec 6th.
my son was born on June 23rd. June is the 6th month of the year and 23 was the age I had the twins and the twins were born on 6th. (coincidence?)
i bought a car on april 6th and i had problems getting the car title cleared as the owner refused to give me right one and he tried to repo it but i called cop on him and explain to cop what happened cop told him to go court and he never did. the guy got pissed off.. oh well.
I lost custody of TJ on May 6th
I moved out of my ex bf's house on june 6th (he cheated on me)
My water broke on sept 6th with my daughter and i ended giving birth to her on sept 8th. she was a stillborn. :(

06/06/06 i stayed home and REFUSED to go anywhere.. LOL...

and list go on etc. etc...

I hate nbr 6. :(

now the nbr i see on post counts.. end in 6.. AHHH.. see what i mean? i hate it!!!

I just now read this.. and I do have obession with nbr 6... I have bad lucks on 6th.. I refused to go anywhere on 6th.. I have to stay home and stay inside.. I do have paranoid that something can and will happen on 6th..

like for example..
The earliest memory i have on march 6th- I was 6 yrs old.. I was stuck at school and couldnt get to go home due to snow storm.
I was 16 when I had allergic reaction to amoxicillian and I couldnt go to Illnois for basketball tourney. I was so MAD!!!!

my cousin died on 6th..
my son was born on June 23rd. June is the 6th month of the year and 23 was the age I had the twins and the twins were born on 6th. (coincidence?)
i bought a car on april 6th and i had problems getting the car title cleared as the owner refused to give me right one and he tried to repo it but i called cop on him and explain to cop what happened cop told him to go court and he never did. the guy got pissed off.. oh well.
My water broke on sept 6th with my daughter and i ended giving birth to her on sept 8th. she was a stillborn. :(

now the nbr i see on post counts.. end in 6.. AHHH.. see what i mean? i hate it!!!
:jaw: yikes!

I agree. Therapy is very useful in treating OCD, but it has also found to be most effective when it is combined with meds. Likewise, meds are found to be most successful in treating OCD when combined with threrapy. Cognitive behavior therapy is the most widely used theory, I would say, but there have been other theoretical approaches used successfully, as well.
It can be very useful for those who have the willpower to use the mindset of going without medications. I hate taking medications and I'd be the type to go see one instead of taking any. I used to take medications for different things and I don't think it really helped me. with alot of support and the courage to go see a therapy could help see things more and to open up.

Most of the meds do help only when a person do it right.

I have mild ocd about germs..i HATE when ppl don't wash their hands...i refuse to touch door knobs n stuff esp in bathrooms, if i HAVE to out comes the hand sanitizer and i wash my hands ALOT...when i worked at a fast food place (for 2 weeks lol) i washed my hands all the time and then i couldnt stand the smells and other stuff so i quit lol i make my bf wash his hands all the time after he goes to the br even tho he thinks he doesnt need to sometimes.

If i have someone sleepover i change all the sheets after they leave. Once i had a friend over and we went swimming all day and then she kept her bathing suit on all day and went to bed with it on....she kind of smelled too after..so when she left i made my mom wash the sheets and everything she touched/used like 3 times and she had put my pillow like in b/w her legs so i made my mom throw out the pillow case and pillow. lol...I've gotten better tho i don't wash my hands as often as i use to but i still do it too much.

Good luck on your therapy highlands and the meds!!:)

like for example..

my cousin died on 6th..

You should see the movie... Number 23. ;)

I went to see my new psychiatrist yesterday . We had a short talk and she perfectly understood me and prescribed me a new medication more. I'll be using zoloft and anafranil together from tomorrow on .

My cbt is likely going to start next week

I went to see my new psychiatrist yesterday . We had a short talk and she perfectly understood me and prescribed me a new medication more. I'll be using zoloft and anafranil together from tomorrow on .

Gee. My 16-years-old niece just quit Zoloft a few weeks ago. She was on Zoloft for a year. Her parents are afraid of her now because of her manic moods. They decided that they will find a good alternative doctor soon for a better medicine without side effects. I think that they were talking about seeing a homeopathic doctor for their daughter.

In a short, I watched on 20/20 news last year or two. A young boy was on Zoloft, and he killed his parents without his thinking. The Zoloft Company won the case, and they put the boy in a prison for about 25 years.

Other sources (from Google):

Pfizer Sued in California: Covering up Zoloft Side Effects - Health Supreme

like for example..

my cousin died on 6th..

*goosebumps* on my back...this is spooky stuff!

You should see the movie... Number 23. ;)

haha is it out at theater or dvd yet? I wonder?

*goosebumps* on my back...this is spooky stuff!

Yep I know! :(

You know the movie-Where the heart is with Ashley Judd and Natalie Portman.. Novalee had an obession with nbr 5 ..I am lot like her but i didnt have baby at walmart. LOL.. :P

The movie Number 23 is out on dvd:P Wal-mart is cheap or just go to blockbuster and rent! lol

haha is it out at theater or dvd yet? I wonder?

Yep I know! :(

You know the movie-Where the heart is with Ashley Judd and Natalie Portman.. Novalee had an obession with nbr 5 ..I am lot like her but i didnt have baby at walmart. LOL.. :P
It's already out.

I saw it last year. :)

Good luck with the meds regimine. Glad to know that you have a psychiatrist you are comfortable working with. I'll be interested to hear how you fare with the CBT. Keep up the good work, highlands.

Back