Do you have a gun or shooting question?

Yes, I use the ammo the range sells - I do not shoot reloads, unless they are factory reloads. I did not fire reloads with this gun (that picture is to show the rear sight blade and how it is shorn).

I will have a smithy look at it.
Range usually sell reloads, thats why they keep the shells. Unless you spectify you want NIB ammo, they usually sell reloads and only allow range ammo with their gun rentals ( which are the reloads )

Try Wad Cutters, they leave a clean "hole punch" hole on the targets which is nice, easy to see.

Ok, I am reading the box I was sold.

Magtech .44 REM-MAG 240 gr. FMJ-Flat (made in Brazil)

Not reloads. factory new ammo. The range master also told me that this gun can shoot 44 special, but a 44 special cannot shoot 44 mag

(I eventually want to use this for handgun hunting, so a LER scope may be in the future).

What are some of the features of this "space age technology" gun safe?
Sorry, missed it.
Im liking the ones that have 4 ways to open,
Keypad
Key
thumbprint
and touch

several ways to get into it and fast if needed.

My buddy has one thats keyed and keypad, but he wishes to have touch id for quick access in case of emergency.

This one kicks too, but it has a 7" barrel. It almost seems like my M&P Shield 40 kicks harder. Probably because it is a lighter gun with a shorter barrel.

Ok, I am reading the box I was sold.

Magtech .44 REM-MAG 240 gr. FMJ-Flat (made in Brazil)

Not reloads. factory new ammo. The range master also told me that this gun can shoot 44 special, but a 44 special cannot shoot 44 mag

(I eventually want to use this for handgun hunting, so a LER scope may be in the future).

It's not just reloads that have problems. Not all new ammo is created equal. From brand to brand there can be variances and quality control issues.

The ammo might not be your problem but it's one factor to easily check.

Example: Remington rounds are rougher and drier, and hang up in the magazine of my Mossberg AR-15. The CCI rounds are smoother finish with a light factory coating and are less likely to hang up. The CCI cost a little bit more but it's worth it. I've got boxes of Remington that I can't use in the Mossberg but I can use in my Rossi .22.

It's not just reloads that have problems. Not all new ammo is created equal. From brand to brand there can be variances and quality control issues.

The ammo might not be your problem but it's one factor to easily check.

Example: Remington rounds are rougher and drier, and hang up in the magazine of my Mossberg AR-15. The CCI rounds are smoother finish with a light factory coating and are less likely to hang up. The CCI cost a little bit more but it's worth it. I've got boxes of Remington that I can't use in the Mossberg but I can use in my Rossi .22.
Yep, my range ammo costs around $13 a box, where my carry ammo costs nearly $25 a box.

Ok, I have a shooting question. I have had a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk 44 Rem-Mag on lay-away for a few months, and I picked it up today. After picking it up, I went straight to the range.

Something I overlooked - the rear sight blade is shorn and needs to be replaced. I ordered a new one off of a Ruger dealer on e-bay for $12.

The first 6 rounds I fired were no problem. Recoil is manageable and really is not bad. When I went to reload, the cylinder kept locking up ??? I had to release the base pin, and take the cylinder out. I had to do this 3-4 times, but eventually it stopped locking up and I was able to fire a complete 6 rounds again.

I have currently field stripped the revolver and used brake cleaner to free up all that grime and carbon. I then lightly oiled everything (I did all this during the POTUS SOTU speech, so I didn't watch it). I have then put empty 44 mag shells in it and cycled through everything (you can dry fire this weapon without damaging the firing pin). It cycles fine now.

If I take it to the range, and it locks up again, what should I be paying attention to?

Thanks in advance.

I know NOTHING about guns but got to reading this thread while having breakfast. What was said after this post got me to thinking about the months it sat in lay-away. Could this have made it stick more?

I know NOTHING about guns but got to reading this thread while having breakfast. What was said after this post got me to thinking about the months it sat in lay-away. Could this have made it stick more?
If the gun is cleaned, oiled and stored properly (in a dry environment), it can be stored for a long time (years) without any problems. We acquired a gun that had been casually stored for 20+ years and with a little fresh oil it worked fine.

From the description, it seems that this gun wasn't properly maintained prior to being put on layaway. It had a broken sight and it was very dirty. It might have had a rough life with its previous owner.

A good cleaning and oiling might be all it needed. Since that's been done, we'll have to see how it performs at the range next time.

I am thinking the way it was stored and handled got the rear sight blade shorn off. I also think oiling it may have corrected the problem of it locking up - but I won't know for sure.

I know the FFL dealer at this shop personally, he is a friend of mine, and has been for several years. He was not there to handle the sale. The store employee that was there that handled my sale (they do not strictly sell firearms) had absolutely no idea what she was doing. She muzzle sweeped the entire store with several firearms, and even dry fired a couple of handguns as she was waiting on my background clearance.

I just had a talk with him about this via text message. he informed me that she is not supposed to handle any firearms for the same reasons I conveyed to him, as multiple complaints about her have been called in.

(p.s. technically, you are never supposed to dry fire any gun, as it can damage the firing pin - however, some guns are made to safely dry fire - but you won't know that unless it is stated in the owner's manual - so it is NOT a very smart thing to do to dry fire handguns at random, especially if you are NOT going to check to see if they are loaded first).

I am thinking the way it was stored and handled got the rear sight blade shorn off. I also think oiling it may have corrected the problem of it locking up - but I won't know for sure.

I know the FFL dealer at this shop personally, he is a friend of mine, and has been for several years. He was not there to handle the sale. The store employee that was there that handled my sale (they do not strictly sell firearms) had absolutely no idea what she was doing. She muzzle sweeped the entire store with several firearms, and even dry fired a couple of handguns as she was waiting on my background clearance.

I just had a talk with him about this via text message. he informed me that she is not supposed to handle any firearms for the same reasons I conveyed to him, as multiple complaints about her have been called in.

(p.s. technically, you are never supposed to dry fire any gun, as it can damage the firing pin - however, some guns are made to safely dry fire - but you won't know that unless it is stated in the owner's manual - so it is NOT a very smart thing to do to dry fire handguns at random, especially if you are NOT going to check to see if they are loaded first).
Pawn shop?

With multiple complaints against her I'm surprised she hasn't been fired. Is she a relative of the owner?

Pawn shop?

With multiple complaints against her I'm surprised she hasn't been fired. Is she a relative of the owner?

It is more like a sporting goods outlet shop.

I think she is going to either be fired, or have a stern talking to. My friend told me she was specifically forbidden from handling firearms (his orders). he has been out sick and was the reason he wasn't there. i am not sure of any familial relationships.

If the gun is cleaned, oiled and stored properly (in a dry environment), it can be stored for a long time (years) without any problems. We acquired a gun that had been casually stored for 20+ years and with a little fresh oil it worked fine.

From the description, it seems that this gun wasn't properly maintained prior to being put on layaway. It had a broken sight and it was very dirty. It might have had a rough life with its previous owner.

A good cleaning and oiling might be all it needed. Since that's been done, we'll have to see how it performs at the range next time.

A little TLC goes a long way. It is nuts (bad business) that some FFLs sell dirty guns.

Last edited:
Back