Do you have a gun or shooting question?

My dad and I have made grips before, and my dad still works at a machine shop, he is an engraver ( I am also but dont work there anymore ) My dad does a ton of custom freehand engravings as well as using a pantograph.

I went ahead and tried to do a pair of grips myself. It wasn't a total disaster. They are not perfect by any stretch, but they do look a lot better than the rubber grips that were on it.

P.S. The gun is NOT loaded - those are empty shells.

Last edited:
A couple more pictures of the process

I actually enjoyed this project a lot. I am sure that with a bit more practice (and better tools) I can make them better.

Sonoctavio - do you do wood engraving?

because if so, could I send grips to you to engrave?

A couple more pictures of the process

I actually enjoyed this project a lot. I am sure that with a bit more practice (and better tools) I can make them better.

Sonoctavio - do you do wood engraving?

because if so, could I send grips to you to engrave?

I have done some, I do more wood burnings ( there is a post somewhere here of my work ) it all depends on what youre looking for, My dad does some awesome stuff, he engraved a few pistols for some police officers and sherriffs, did some gun butts with custom initials and all that.

Ok, I finally had some time today to make a quick visit to my local range. The .44 Mag shoots flawlessly now. There is no cylinder lock up at all. I also took Reba and JohnnyGhost's advice, and went with 240 Grain Winchester (used different ammo). I did not think to try to use the Magtech to see if that was the problem. But it shot fine.

I love this gun. The kick was a heck of a lot more brutal with the Winchester than the Magtech. These are soft lead rounds, so they are legal to use for hunting in my State :)

Ok, I finally had some time today to make a quick visit to my local range. The .44 Mag shoots flawlessly now. There is no cylinder lock up at all. I also took Reba and JohnnyGhost's advice, and went with 240 Grain Winchester (used different ammo). I did not think to try to use the Magtech to see if that was the problem. But it shot fine.

I love this gun. The kick was a heck of a lot more brutal with the Winchester than the Magtech. These are soft lead rounds, so they are legal to use for hunting in my State :)
Glad it worked out for you. :)

Did you finger groove both sides of the grip or one side? Didnt know if you were
Ambidextrous ?

Did you finger groove both sides of the grip or one side? Didnt know if you were
Ambidextrous ?

No, I shoot right handed. I made the grooves for my hand. I am thinking about making some for friends. I am going to have them squeeze playdoh to get an impression of their grip, then transfer it over to wood.

That is really nice. I will have to show this to my wife.

Reba, I also wanted to update you from the other thread. For those reading, I posed a question in another thread concerning my attempt to find an NRA Instructor that knew ASL. My wife, and a mutual friend, are interested in taking a basic pistol course. My wife is deaf, and our mutual friend, is also deaf as well as has severe CP. He can, however, hold a firearm, and aim it.

Reba suggested that I get an ASL interpreter. I thought about this, and yes, it would ideally work - but not in this situation with my wife and mutual friend - for reasons I would rather not really get into here. Not for the initial course, I mean - maybe when they are both a little more confident, then an ASL interpreter would more than like benfit the both of them with further advanced training.

Here is a very brief background of events that led up to this. My wife, and our mutual friend, were both talking to his girlfriend on VP. I was not part of the discussion they were having. They both tried to get my attention while I was in the kitchen making a grilled Muenster cheese sandwich with honey ham and potato bread. Apparently, our mutual friend's girlfriend had asked why I was wearing a gun, as she saw me in the kitchen on the VP.

My wife and my friend's girlfriend talk to each other quite a lot - it is a deaf sisterhood kind of thing - many of you are familiar with this.

So, rather than resort to the usual "because I can't carry a cop in my pocket" or "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6" smart alec retorts, I decided to ask the three of them a few questions.

My first question was directed at my wife (she and I have gone shooting before, but her friends have brainwashed her into thinking she didn't need a gun). I said "What if you and (our mutual friend) decided to go to (a local public park with walking trails) and someone attacked you? what would you do?"

She looked at me like 'DUH!' and said "Simple, I grab my phone and call 911".

Ok, let me stop right here - I do not discourage anyone from calling 911, it was not the point I was making.

I then asked my wife, "So, are you going to ask the attacker to wait a few minutes for you to make the call? Will he be nice enough to let you wait until the police arrive before he attacks you and our kids and (our mutual friend)? What if there is no reception?"

I could see her processing this - she has learned how to communicate with me over the years and knows when I am being serious and when I am just joking around.

She also hates to admit it when I have made a valid point ;)

She thought it over and even said "yeah, and what if my phone drops and breaks?"

I said "Sweetie, I know guns make you nervous. I know its because you think the kids can get to them and somehow a horrible accident will happen and they will end up injured or dead. I know I can teach you everything about firearm safety, but I really think you should take a certified course from a certified instructor - because the more you know about firearm safety, the less nervous you will be. You will have a lot more confidence also if you know how to defend yourself, and our kids, because I cannot always be around."

So, they agreed to take a course, but the instructor has to be deaf.

I found an NRA instructor, and he used to be my roommate at Gallaudet, he is a friend. I had no idea ... but we hooked up and that part of the problem has been solved :)

Q: What kind of holster do you use for CC? How do you wear it? Inside/outside waistband, in pants pocket, under arms, belly band, ankles, etc.?

Pocket holster all day everyday. And sometimes I add a bigger gun that I carry IWB just behind the hip. I like leather but I see some nice looking kydex these days.

I love the pocket holster/gun setup. It's easy to put your hand on your gun and just look like you have your hands in your pockets. Hard to access while driving so I do have a car gun too.

Q: What do you do with your concealed gun when you sit on toilet of public restroom?

Pocket gun stays in pocket. Hip gun goes in lap being very careful about the muzzle direction.

Q: Do you wear your concealed weapon differently in the summer and winter?

I still use the pocket holster in the summer. Works even with shorts and a t-shirt. If I bring a bigger gun I throw a plaid button up short sleeve over it. Or carry it off body in a messenger bag.

In the winter I'll take my pocket gun from my pants pocket to my jacket pocket unless I'm going somewhere that will require me to remove my jacket without the chance to transfer the gun back to my pocket.

Well, I tried my new shooting glasses while firing my AR-15 Plinkster. They didn't help. I switched back to clear glasses with no bifocal and got basically the same results.

All my rounds hit the target but not a very good group, and not centered. :(

Next time, I'll try the new glasses with my revolver and see if they help with that.

I requested the range master help me with the racking problem. He checked me and said I was doing everything right. It just doesn't work for me. :(

Another alternative to revolvers are Bond arms. I've heard good thins about them. bondarms.com They have small backup guns and some that are pretty large.

http://bondarms.com/bond-arms-handguns/ranger-ii/
http://bondarms.com/bond-arms-handguns/girl-mini/

Many of the Bond arms pistols are not what you might think of with a typical derringer. They are much larger and better built. I've fired some tiny derringers and they are difficult to shoot and load. Some of the Bond arms pistols have interchangeable barrels/calibers too.

Size.jpg

Real sights!

Sights_and_hammer.jpg

Not interested in derringers; not enough capacity, for one thing. If I want low capacity, I've got that with my 5-shot revolver.

As long as you stay away from monster loads you can get a reduced power recoil spring that will make the gun much easier to rack.

. . . I said "Sweetie, I know guns make you nervous. I know its because you think the kids can get to them and somehow a horrible accident will happen and they will end up injured or dead. I know I can teach you everything about firearm safety, but I really think you should take a certified course from a certified instructor - because the more you know about firearm safety, the less nervous you will be. You will have a lot more confidence also if you know how to defend yourself, and our kids, because I cannot always be around."

So, they agreed to take a course, but the instructor has to be deaf.

I found an NRA instructor, and he used to be my roommate at Gallaudet, he is a friend. I had no idea ... but we hooked up and that part of the problem has been solved :)
I'm glad that you found an instructor who meets your needs. :)

Our local gun shop offers a "Ladies' Night" class each week. It's not a full-fledged gun course but an introduction to remove some of the scary mystery of guns. Participants are encouraged to take further training after the Ladies' Night class.

The course is run by women for women. It's friendly and not intimidating. They cover safety and how to shoot. On the range, they get to try a revolver and a semi-auto pistol.

http://www.atpguns.com/#!ladies-night/citr

My wife got Aliengear, IWB holster for her S&W M&P9 sub

Im probly going to try Aliengear IWB as well for my S&W M&P9 standard
Im also buying a 45 and an AR15 5.56 or bigger.

Many of the Bond arms pistols are not what you might think of with a typical derringer. They are much larger and better built. I've fired some tiny derringers and they are difficult to shoot and load. Some of the Bond arms pistols have interchangeable barrels/calibers too.

Yeah, even a 45/410 gauge over and under! :lol:

Back