Do you have a gun or shooting question?

It is one of old fashioned like that.
singleoakpine.jpg

It is common in rural communities and grandparent's house.

My friend husband has air rifle even empty I was frightened of touching it same with knives

What is your favorite gun blog/site?

Mine is: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/
(I advise using Ad Block to make the visit more enjoyable)

Short description: About Us

Robert Farago founded The Truth About Guns in February of 2010 to explore the ethics, morality, business, politics, culture, technology, practice, strategy, dangers and fun of guns. The TTAG team’s been at it ever since. We’ve built the site on word-of-mouth, strong writing, and a no-holds-barred attitude.

TTAG also does great reviews of everything gun related.

Gun related question: If you won the Lottery, what is the first gun you would buy?
I would buy a Thompson Tommy gun. You?

AR15 in 5.56 caliber, maybe a few others like a 308, 30-08 and some pistols starting with a Springfield 45 cal. Get me a few granddaddys of them all and have a small arsenal for hunting and protection, then stock up on ammo.

First, Id want a top of the line, space age technology gun safe !

Ok, I have a shooting question. I have had a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk 44 Rem-Mag on lay-away for a few months, and I picked it up today. After picking it up, I went straight to the range.

Something I overlooked - the rear sight blade is shorn and needs to be replaced. I ordered a new one off of a Ruger dealer on e-bay for $12.

The first 6 rounds I fired were no problem. Recoil is manageable and really is not bad. When I went to reload, the cylinder kept locking up ??? I had to release the base pin, and take the cylinder out. I had to do this 3-4 times, but eventually it stopped locking up and I was able to fire a complete 6 rounds again.

I have currently field stripped the revolver and used brake cleaner to free up all that grime and carbon. I then lightly oiled everything (I did all this during the POTUS SOTU speech, so I didn't watch it). I have then put empty 44 mag shells in it and cycled through everything (you can dry fire this weapon without damaging the firing pin). It cycles fine now.

If I take it to the range, and it locks up again, what should I be paying attention to?

Thanks in advance.

Ok, I have a shooting question. I have had a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk 44 Rem-Mag on lay-away for a few months, and I picked it up today. After picking it up, I went straight to the range.
Was it new or used and refurbished?

Something I overlooked - the rear sight blade is shorn and needs to be replaced. I ordered a new one off of a Ruger dealer on e-bay for $12.
How was it shorn?

The first 6 rounds I fired were no problem. Recoil is manageable and really is not bad. When I went to reload, the cylinder kept locking up ??? I had to release the base pin, and take the cylinder out. I had to do this 3-4 times, but eventually it stopped locking up and I was able to fire a complete 6 rounds again.
So, it fired OK but locked up only while reloading?

I have currently field stripped the revolver and used brake cleaner to free up all that grime and carbon. I then lightly oiled everything (I did all this during the POTUS SOTU speech, so I didn't watch it).
You really shouldn't use any cleaners or oils that aren't specifically for guns.

With the few rounds that you fired, why was there a lot of grime and carbon?

I have then put empty 44 mag shells in it and cycled through everything (you can dry fire this weapon without damaging the firing pin). It cycles fine now.

If I take it to the range, and it locks up again, what should I be paying attention to?

Thanks in advance.
Could it be your ammo? I've learned that some kinds of ammo (cheaper, more lead) can be incompatible with some guns.

I have currently field stripped the revolver and used brake cleaner to free up all that grime and carbon. I then lightly oiled everything (I did all this during the POTUS SOTU speech, so I didn't watch it). I have then put empty 44 mag shells in it and cycled through everything (you can dry fire this weapon without damaging the firing pin). It cycles fine now.

Thanks in advance.
I assume this is a used gun? the clip may need filing on the edges or the ramp is worn and may need polishing or a new barrel? How are the springs? should be fairly stiff to shove that massive chunk of lead with brass into the barrel/receiver.

ONLY USE GUN CLEANER !!!!! ANYTHING ELSE CAN DEGRADE THE POLYMER !!!!!!

Gun related question: If you won the Lottery, what is the first gun you would buy?
I would buy a Thompson Tommy gun. You?
My hubby, TCS, says the same thing. :lol:

He would get a Class 3 license so he could get a fully automatic one.

AR15 in 5.56 caliber, maybe a few others like a 308, 30-08 and some pistols starting with a Springfield 45 cal. Get me a few granddaddys of them all and have a small arsenal for hunting and protection, then stock up on ammo.

First, Id want a top of the line, space age technology gun safe !

What are some of the features of this "space age technology" gun safe?

The gun is used, stainless steel (no polymer) and not sure how the rear sight blade was shorn. It does not have any markings indicating it had been dropped. The rear sight blade appears to be plastic.

Also, even after I cleaned everything, and put empty shells back in and started to cycle through it, it would catch at a certain place, so I took it apart again, cocked the hammer and sprayed all those tiny crevices under the hammer, the trigger, with rem oil - then put the cylinder back in, and it cycles fine. I guess I will know if something is wrong when I take it to the range again. Is it possible it had carbon in the cycling mechanism? I haven't taken the gun completely apart - just field stripped.

(for clarification, it locked up after reloading. I then took the cylinder out, cycled the hammer and trigger with cylinder removed, put cylinder back, fired 3 rounds then it locked up - same process happened 3-4 times).

The gun is used, stainless steel (no polymer) and not sure how the rear sight blade was shorn. It does not have any markings indicating it had been dropped. The rear sight blade appears to be plastic.

Also, even after I cleaned everything, and put empty shells back in and started to cycle through it, it would catch at a certain place, so I took it apart again, cocked the hammer and sprayed all those tiny crevices under the hammer, the trigger, with rem oil - then put the cylinder back in, and it cycles fine. I guess I will know if something is wrong when I take it to the range again.

ah revolver, was the hammer back while loading? seems like the little thingy to turn the cylinder was hanging up on it or the cylinder itself was rubbing on the frame and catching while open? make sure the swing arm isnt bent. If its bent and the cylinder/barrel doesnt line up 1000% then youll get some "shaving" blown out when you fire and thats no fun to get into your hand.

Also, even after I cleaned everything, and put empty shells back in and started to cycle through it, it would catch at a certain place, so I took it apart again, cocked the hammer and sprayed all those tiny crevices under the hammer, the trigger, with rem oil - then put the cylinder back in, and it cycles fine. I guess I will know if something is wrong when I take it to the range again. Is it possible it had carbon in the cycling mechanism? I haven't taken the gun completely apart - just field stripped.

(for clarification, it locked up after reloading. I then took the cylinder out, cycled the hammer and trigger with cylinder removed, put cylinder back, fired 3 rounds then it locked up - same process happened 3-4 times).

Nice looking Hand Cannon there !

ah revolver, was the hammer back while loading? seems like the little thingy to turn the cylinder was hanging up on it or the cylinder itself was rubbing on the frame and catching while open? make sure the swing arm isnt bent. If its bent and the cylinder/barrel doesnt line up 1000% then youll get some "shaving" blown out when you fire and thats no fun to get into your hand.

No, I have a Vaquero .357 Mag that is a very similar gun (loading, unloading is the same process). I have been doing some reading online, and there are a plethora of answers for what the cause could be.

heat expansion is one explanation. Base pin being knocked forward is another. But, this was a very dirty gun, and I took it to the range right after purchase. It is a very clean gun now.

Do you use new boxed ammo? Try it next time with different ammo.

Take it to a gun smith.

No, I have a Vaquero .357 Mag that is a very similar gun (loading, unloading is the same process). I have been doing some reading online, and there are a plethora of answers for what the cause could be.

heat expansion is one explanation. Base pin being knocked forward is another. But, this was a very dirty gun, and I took it to the range right after purchase. It is a very clean gun now.
Im surprised the dealer sold it so dirty? must have been a good deal?

Do you use new boxed ammo? Try it next time with different ammo.

Take it to a gun smith.

Yes, I use the ammo the range sells - I do not shoot reloads, unless they are factory reloads. I did not fire reloads with this gun (that picture is to show the rear sight blade and how it is shorn).

I will have a smithy look at it.

Im surprised the dealer sold it so dirty? must have been a good deal?

It wasn't a stellar deal - I am disappointed with it :(

the rear sight isn't a big problem for me. If it continues to lock up - that is a major major problem. I am wondering if Ruger will fix it?

But .... there is no "catch" or lock up on the cycling now. I think a thorough cleaning may have helped - won't know for sure until I take it to the range again.

Back