Do you have a gun or shooting question?

just figure you had a bit of extensive knowledge of firearms being your gun laws are stricter? Ive learned a lot from my military friends and some family over the years, and a few courses... pretty amazing stuff to get into

I know gun laws better than some ridiculous tactical moves and these tactical moves are completely and utterly useless for me even if I know it because it is extremely unlikely that I would be in a situation where I'd have to reload and engage in prolonged gunfight. that's just silly. if I live in Juarez.... well that's a whole another different story :lol:

again - I'm not a SWAT cop or spec ops. I'm just a regular citizen and these tactical move is completely useless for regular guys as well. I guarantee you that you won't be performing it if you were in that situation unless you've been training it non-stop.

anything you've learned.... it's all useless unless you train it regularly on frequent basis and apply it on real-life scenarios.

BUT I will never be as good as this kid....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f8VmJRuBFY

sure you can. anybody can. all it takes is hours of training on frequent basis. you may not beat her time but you can move the same.

Curious... how do you rack it now and what what is the trouble that you have?

Idea of the revolver is good for the load and discharge, but I wonder if the recoil would give issue? But I have not been strong with them and they always felt weird to me so I may be bias here lol :)

in my curiosity I did find two links that I am wondering if they would help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbayNc6D9HY

http://www.usacarry.com/racking-pistol-slide-devices-supplement-technique/

but going to a reputable range would be your best bet, they can see what is going on and give you ideas from there. I wish you luck in your endeavor for I always find a joy and peace at the range.

I know gun laws better than some ridiculous tactical moves and these tactical moves are completely and utterly useless for me even if I know it because it is extremely unlikely that I would be in a situation where I'd have to reload and engage in prolonged gunfight. that's just silly. if I live in Juarez.... well that's a whole another different story :lol:

again - I'm not a SWAT cop or spec ops. I'm just a regular citizen and these tactical move is completely useless for regular guys as well. I guarantee you that you won't be performing it if you were in that situation unless you've been training it non-stop.

anything you've learned.... it's all useless unless you train it regularly on frequent basis and apply it on real-life scenarios.

sure you can. anybody can. all it takes is hours of training on frequent basis. you may not beat her time but you can move the same.

Thank you for great advice.

I avoid guns because I'm dealing with depression and PTSD.

I agree, just cool to know...never know what situation you may end up in... millions of techniques, one thats comfortable for each their own.

and I got you beat on the one handed revolver reload with a no handed reload....beat you by arms length....lol
go to 6:00 mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUT28dIT9mA

Idea of the revolver is good for the load and discharge, but I wonder if the recoil would give issue? But I have not been strong with them and they always felt weird to me so I may be bias here lol :)

http://www.usacarry.com/racking-pistol-slide-devices-supplement-technique/

but going to a reputable range would be your best bet, they can see what is going on and give you ideas from there. I wish you luck in your endeavor for I always find a joy and peace at the range.

about racking a gun... this is what reba said -

Before I ask my first question, let me give some background information.

I'm almost 65 years old, petite woman, with Stage 2 Parkinson's Disease. I've been shooting for more than a few years. Until the last few years, I could fire a semi-auto handgun. Now, my hands are very weak, and I can no longer push or pull the slide the action to rack the gun. I can barely make it budge. I've tried the full-hand push, and the two-finger pull/slingshot techniques, and neither one works for me. Also, I can't properly load rounds into the magazine. So, I've switched to a 5-shot revolver. I enjoy shooting a revolver but they are limited in capacity, even with a speed loader.

Any tips?

I agree, just cool to know...never know what situation you may end up in... millions of techniques, one thats comfortable for each their own.
yes. a technique is only useful if practiced frequently and regularly. and that's how you get comfortable with it.

and I got you beat on the one handed revolver reload with a no handed reload....beat you by arms length....lol
go to 6:00 mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUT28dIT9mA

:jaw:

Jiro, I agree with the training, everyone is basically useless without any... you dont just pick up a gun and fire, they dont work like that ( most wouldnt hit the broad side of a barn) but training, yes you can get muscle memory and aim from the hips if you train enough, but someone who keeps it in a drawer for 20 years and all the sudden need it, it is 1) a noisemaker or 2) a lucky hit when actually needed.

The girl in that video is my cousin's daughter.

btw ... I shot an UMP .45 in single round, double round, 7 round bursts and full auto. next week I will train on a full auto M4.

The girl in that video is my cousin's daughter.

btw ... I shot an UMP .45 in single round, double round, 7 round bursts and full auto. next week I will train on a full auto M4.
She seems pretty cool and outgoing, I watched a few of her videos. My childhood friend ( later first girlfriend ) had a brother with no arms, when I met him as a kid he had those mechanical ones with the hooks and I hated them ( he would hit and all that with them and they hurt like hell...lol )

I never could imagine how he did stuff with his feet, he could do anything we could, but my toes wont work like fingers and if I tried to get my legs in any position like they do....call 911 !!!!!

She seems pretty cool and outgoing, I watched a few of her videos. My childhood friend ( later first girlfriend ) had a brother with no arms, when I met him as a kid he had those mechanical ones with the hooks and I hated them ( he would hit and all that with them and they hurt like hell...lol )

I never could imagine how he did stuff with his feet, he could do anything we could, but my toes wont work like fingers and if I tried to get my legs in any position like they do....call 911 !!!!!

No, not that girl, this one [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f8VmJRuBFY[/ame]

Never !!!!
Im surprised you didnt know? Its taught in tactical training, what if youre injured ( broken arm, shot in arm/hand ) you got to rack it somehow as you wont always have a sidekick to do it.... Jiro you didnt know this as well?
I haven't taken tactical training. I can't even rack a pistol with two hands, so one handed wouldn't help me.

Take a tactical course ( one of the outdoor classes ) its fun,
TCS and I are going to take some advanced classes but probably not tactical level. Our bodies just aren't up to that anymore.

hey dont recommend it either but its a life or death last ditch effort.... but can be used regulary if careful, very careful Reba.
Why would I want to use a method that no one recommends? It's more likely to cause a life or death situation than to solve one. :lol:

I don't. I no longer use a gun that requires racking. I can't pull it back, not even half way.

I have no problem with recoil.

Yes, that's the technique I've been trying. :(

From your link, this is me:

"But, certainly the solution is not always about technique and leverage because physical strength can be greatly diminished by severe medical conditions, personal abilities, and disabilities like arthritis and Parkinson’s Disease."

The add-on devices would probably work except that's too much to deal with in a concealed carry situation.

Yes, I'm going to do that, too.

Thanks for trying. :)

Reba, you can rack the slide on the edge of a table, counter, desk, chair...ect... doesnt have to be your belt/pant pockets. Im sure you have the strength to push it single or with both hands, either way....its a locked arm and bodyweight that does the work that way.

I've used S&W pistols, and tried the Rugers too and I'm still amazed that the Glocks are so much easier to rack, which is probably one of many reasons why they're so popular with shooters. If you're looking for the ideal model, try and get your hands on the Glock 19. I also have the 17 and baby Glock 26 too, but if I could only keep one - it'd be the 19 which is just the best all around gun for defense and carry in my opinion.

Edit to add, I had a Walther P99 but quickly sold it as it was a bear to shoot for some reason so I'd avoid that brand. I do have a nice PPS but it takes some effort to rack - and that's probably true of most mouse guns. The great mystery of Glocks, for me, is how such a light weight gun is so comfortable to shoot. I typically avoid light weight guns after my experience with the P99 and the S&W 442 but the Glocks are just in a class by themselves....still, not as good looking as a stainless Italian Beretta though. :)

hhhmmmmm...... I've tried Glock and Springfield. Springfield was a winner for me because holding a glock was like holding a block of wood.

I haven't tried Gen4 and I'm hearing a lot of raves about it so I will check it out later. Have you tried Springfield?

I've used S&W pistols, and tried the Rugers too and I'm still amazed that the Glocks are so much easier to rack, which is probably one of many reasons why they're so popular with shooters. If you're looking for the ideal model, try and get your hands on the Glock 19. I also have the 17 and baby Glock 26 too, but if I could only keep one - it'd be the 19 which is just the best all around gun for defense and carry in my opinion….
I tried a Glock 19 today. I could rack it with a major struggle but it really wasn't functional for me. I also tried some suggestions from the shop guy. Not any better. :(

I think I just have to accept the fact that the little revolver 5-shot is my niche.

I'll keep practicing so that I'll never need more than those 5 shots. ;)

Thank you for trying. :)

Reba, you can rack the slide on the edge of a table, counter, desk, chair...ect... doesnt have to be your belt/pant pockets. Im sure you have the strength to push it single or with both hands, either way....its a locked arm and bodyweight that does the work that way.
I'm not going to depend on a piece of furniture being available for me. I'll just stick with the revolver.

I'm not going to depend on a piece of furniture being available for me. I'll just stick with the revolver.

Good choice. You won't have to worry about a stove pipe or FTE.

I have always liked revolvers and have owned many. They are far more reliable than ACP semi-autos. The disadvantages are the number of shots fired before you have to reload, longer time to reload a revolver, but they are far more reliable and safer to shoot.

I used to have a S&W .357 Mag snubbie - but I traded it in for a S&W Shield .40 that I keep as a BUG in a cowboy boot holster. I have a S&W 44 Mag revolver, and I love it!! you can hunt with one.

If recoil is not a problem, have you shot the Judge? http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=199&category=revolver

Back