Designing A Hearing Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
...they all emphasized the importance of having the Deaf community and ASL because it is a special bond regardless how well they can hear with their CIs.

How can those CI-kids who attend hearing schools can find the local Deaf community??

So, deaf/Deaf adults who have lived as deaf/Deaf children ahve no idea what it is to be deaf/Deaf?

And how dare you call anyone a hypocrite! To claim that your needs wer not the first addressed in your decision is the most hypocritical statement ever made. Of course your needs were the first addressed. YOU needed for your daughter to hear and speak. YOU needed for your daughter to conform to your way of life. YOU needed for your daughter to be part of your hearing world. YOU refused to learn sign language. YOU refused to connect to other deaf who are not oral. YOU needed to restrict your daughter to an oral environment. To say that your needs had no influence on your decisons is self delusional.

Jillo, you hit the nail on the head dead on.

Only from your paranoid perspective. How does it feel to be in the minority, rick? Don't like it when others tell you what you should do, how you should think, how you should feel? Congratualtions.....that is something the hearing world does to deaf/Deaf people on a daily basis. Not very comfortable , is it. Makes you angry doesn't it? You have jsut stepped intothe same situation that deaf/Deaf people endure every day of their lives. If you have an ounce of humanity in you, you will use the experience to develop emapthy and understanding of why the daf feel the way they do, why they react to many of the views that hearing hold about deaf the way they do, and why so amny of your psots are utterly offensive to them. But I doubt seriously that you have the isnight to be able to do that.

Another nail....

Rick won't last long if he suddenly find himself in our shoes.

If you are addressing this to me, I would rather a deaf child ask me first how they feel about C.I informations. I don t want to put it on a 6 months old baby or toddler because they can't make desicion like that with their age. But the child life will not be wasted. What make you think a child life will be wasted as a deaf child? are you speaking of education in a deaf child wasted? I don't think a child life is wasted as long as she or he is in a good educated school.

Agree! I'd love to see every deaf child getting a good education. I am big on education, GTM.

The CI-users would have to keep an eye out for meningitis and infections and buying all those batteries and whatever to keep the CI in working order. They aren't able to use MRI. They could be in limbo - not quite hearing and not quite deaf. These are the benefits of CI???? .

For meningitus there are vacines. Infections-antibiotics. Batteries well they probably don't buy as many starbucks capacinos. (sp?) :) Many have spare processors so one is not necessarily left in a silent world. MRI- Well I have a freedom and it's MRI safe after taking out the magnet up to 1.5 tesla I think it is. But there are also CT scans which could be used first with the MRI only used as the last option. WIth the older implants the CT is the choice. I do have a friend with NO CI who had one MRI and refuses to be stuck in one again, in her case the noise was way to much, she insists on CT's.

CIs are perfect for those late-deafened adults/teens. Those who were born deaf don't really miss hearing. I don't miss it. In fact, I often left my HAs out. I have to turn my HAs off while driving as I find sounds too distracting. So why force it on deaf-born kids?? The truth is the hearing people really don't think good of deaf population and attempt to fix their kid as if they are in a big denial of their kid's deafness. Let the deaf child decide on the CI when he/she is older is the wisest move.

It really doesn't surprise me that you don't miss hearing. But a child who is implanted early enough and successfully learns to dicipher the sounds into speech (which is easier at a very early age) and identify eviromental sounds does end up having much easier access to the world as it is. And no I'm not saying that you don't do well out in a world that relies on sound just that you have to put up with more inconviences then the child/adult who can successfully use and CI for communication. The leave it until the child can decide makes that successful use for communication much harder for the person getting the implant. BUt then that's been discussed many times here so I'm not sure why I'm even bothering. :)

How can those CI-kids who attend hearing schools can find the local Deaf community??

Those people who with CIs that I met on Friday night were those same kids who attended hearing schools. They talked about how different they felt even though they got along with many hearing peers and did well in school. They said it was like something was missing and they, like me, took ASL classes in college which lead them to the discovery of the Deaf community. Now, they all are very actively involved in the Deaf community and expressed that they wish they had that growing up. A few of them said they got bullied by peers about the processors. I think one of them said one boy kept grabbing or knocking the magnet off. That is just plain harrassment and like deaf people who dont have CIs, they go thru some of the crap we have gone thru.

Again, it is not about how well we can hear...it is how society treats us that makes us seek each other out.

I just want all Deaf children be exposed to ASL and the Deaf community while being exposed to spoken language and hearing people so they dont have to deal with feeling like something is "missing" and end up with socio-emotional issues. Then there is the language deprivation issues too.

Then as adults, they can choose 3 things....to be immersed in the hearing world full time and have nothing to do with the Deaf community, to be immersed in the Deaf community full time and have nothing to do with the hearing world, or to be immersed in both. I think the 3rd option will probably be the choice that most will choose.

I am sorry, didn't I express myself clear enough?:

My question was addressed to GarnetTigerMom.
Thank you for your input jill but yours doesn't interest me, sorry.

Do tell me if an how can I say it better.

Fuzzy

Don't start with me fuzzy. I am entitled to reply to any post I see as relevent. If you choose to ahve a private conversation with any member, I suggest you use the private message feature.

Those people who with CIs that I met on Friday night were those same kids who attended hearing schools. They talked about how different they felt even though they got along with many hearing peers and did well in school. They said it was like something was missing and they, like me, took ASL classes in college which lead them to the discovery of the Deaf community. Now, they all are very actively involved in the Deaf community and expressed that they wish they had that growing up. A few of them said they got bullied by peers about the processors. I think one of them said one boy kept grabbing or knocking the magnet off. That is just plain harrassment and like deaf people who dont have CIs, they go thru some of the crap we have gone thru.

Again, it is not about how well we can hear...it is how society treats us that makes us seek each other out.

I just want all Deaf children be exposed to ASL and the Deaf community while being exposed to spoken language and hearing people so they dont have to deal with feeling like something is "missing" and end up with socio-emotional issues. Then there is the language deprivation issues too.

Then as adults, they can choose 3 things....to be immersed in the hearing world full time and have nothing to do with the Deaf community, to be immersed in the Deaf community full time and have nothing to do with the hearing world, or to be immersed in both. I think the 3rd option will probably be the choice that most will choose.

And those are the ssues that we need to put the focus on. We have taken a huge step backward in that the majority seems to have reverted to addressing deafness from the medical model, as it was inthe 1800's. We need to approach the deaf child from a holistic view. Deafness affects more than the ability to hear and speak, it is all encompassing regarding that child's life. If we are to improve our educational methods and the decisions we make for these kids, we must address all issues, and not limit ourselves tothose which involve hearing and speech. How about a humanistic approach rather than a medical one?

The CI-users would have to keep an eye out for meningitis and infections and buying all those batteries and whatever to keep the CI in working order. They aren't able to use MRI. They could be in limbo - not quite hearing and not quite deaf. These are the benefits of CI????

D/deaf people still can get meningitis. D/deaf people with hearing aids still have to buy batteries. With the Freedom implant, you can still have an MRI...

I felt more "not deaf but not hearing" when I wore just hearing aids, compared to having a CI - and even with a CI - you still aren't "biologically hearing" - its a TOOL to help you, not a magic wand. It doesn't make you hearing, but is a tool to help you. I still rely on closed captions when I watch TV. I still sometimes have to ask people to repeat things - but guess what - my HEARING boyfriend who has tinnitus also prefers the CC.... my HEARING mother sometimes asks others to repeat something.

As to your idea of the "benefits of CI" - sounds like you might want to do a bit more research into the real benefits - or perhaps read the CI-MOMENTS thread, or other experiences that the CI-recipients on this board have had.

Here's a personal thought:

I like being able to experience the "best of both worlds" (hearing AND deaf) with my CI. There are times that I simply want silence..and can turn my CI off....or if I'm in a busy/noisy environment I can turn the noise-cancellation program on and hear BETTER than my hearing peers who can not do that. I can plug my MP3 player/tv/stereo directly into my CI, and enjoy the sound without any environmental input - in fact I just rode the train from NH to BC - a 3 day trip - last week, and had a portable DVD player that I plugged directly into my CI - it was awesome to watch/listen to movies without hearing the "chug chug chug" of the train, and the constant announcements from the conductor for each stop, or calling a certain family to the diner car for their reservations etc... This is just the tip of the iceberg. Being able to have a conversation with somebody who is sitting behind me in the car while I drive, understanding somebody when you're in the dark, hearing the rain falling on the roof, or the sound of a bird calling...there are so many wonderful things to experience with CI's - why are you only focusing on things that you can think of that are negative?

D/deaf people still can get meningitis. D/deaf people with hearing aids still have to buy batteries. With the Freedom implant, you can still have an MRI...

I felt more "not deaf but not hearing" when I wore just hearing aids, compared to having a CI - and even with a CI - you still aren't "biologically hearing" - its a TOOL to help you, not a magic wand. It doesn't make you hearing, but is a tool to help you. I still rely on closed captions when I watch TV. I still sometimes have to ask people to repeat things - but guess what - my HEARING boyfriend who has tinnitus also prefers the CC.... my HEARING mother sometimes asks others to repeat something.

As to your "benefits of CI" - sounds like you might want to do a bit more research into the real benefits - or perhaps read the CI-MOMENTS thread, or other experiences that the CI-recipients on this board have had.

I have a question...my aide has a CI but she couldnt wear it for about a month now cuz the coil or something is broken and she doesnt have the money to replace it. The cost, according to her, is $350. I was like :eek3: and asked her if her insurance would cover it. She said the insurance would only cover the surgery but not for equipment repairs or batteries.

My question is ..is that an isolated case or does that happen to many of u and if so, how do u keep up with the costs of batteries and repairs?

One of my student's CI keeps breaking but it does get repaired only to break again so soon. I wonder how much the insurance companies are willing to pay?

Just didnt realize how expensive the parts can be if that is true for all CI equipment.

If u and others dont like the word "CI equipment" let me know what's a better word for it.

If u and others dont like the word "CI equipment" let me know what's a better word for it.

I stopped reading the CI threads, but "CI equipment" is wrong? Why? What is the better word?

I stopped reading the CI threads, but "CI equipment" is wrong? Why? What is the better word?

I cant remember exactly but I remember someone who had a CI feeling offended by someone saying that he has CI equipment on his head. It was like 3 years ago and I didnt pay too much attention to it. If I was a member of this forum at that time, I probably would have paid more attention to it.

Probably not a big deal but doesnt hurt to make sure. :)

I haven't stopped reading them :) I learn something new from some users comments at times.. such as Jillio,Shel90,Liebling,Cloggy..I need information from different viewpoints :)

"CI-equipment" is fine with me - I don't know why anybody would be offended by that.

While replacement of the equipment can be costly, I think it also depends on the health plan somebody has and whether or not they have their CI under warranty. The only problem I have had with my CI is the latex sheathing that covers the wire bundle on the coil splitting (which is a problem Cochlear is aware of as its quite prevalent,) I do know that when my processor fails I'll have to replace it at my own cost - but its a cost I believe more than worth bearing for the joy I get from it.

When I had HA's I had to pay for the repairs myself, so I don't see this as being much different. The cost of batteries is a bit more (being as that you go through more) but again, its weighing whether or not the benefits one gets is worth the cost. I believe it is :)

"CI-equipment" is fine with me - I don't know why anybody would be offended by that.

While replacement of the equipment can be costly, I think it also depends on the health plan somebody has and whether or not they have their CI under warranty. The only problem I have had with my CI is the latex sheathing that covers the wire bundle on the coil splitting (which is a problem Cochlear is aware of as its quite prevalent,) I do know that when my processor fails I'll have to replace it at my own cost - but its a cost I believe more than worth bearing for the joy I get from it.

When I had HA's I had to pay for the repairs myself, so I don't see this as being much different. The cost of batteries is a bit more (being as that you go through more) but again, its weighing whether or not the benefits one gets is worth the cost. I believe it is :)

Thanks for answering. Unfortunately for my aide, she is a single mom on a contractual salary meaning she doesnt get paid benefits. That has to be frustrating for her not being able to afford for the repairs of the equipment. It made me wonder if that problem happens with the parents who dont have high salaries.

Thanks for answering. Unfortunately for my aide, she is a single mom on a contractual salary meaning she doesnt get paid benefits. That has to be frustrating for her not being able to afford for the repairs of the equipment. It made me wonder if that problem happens with the parents who dont have high salaries.

It could be a problem for those who are on a budget or fixed income... I don't make much either, but I try to put away $20/paycheck into a kitty to have for when the time comes that I have to buy batteries, or get a replacement.

It could be a problem for those who are on a budget or fixed income... I don't make much either, but I try to put away $20/paycheck into a kitty to have for when the time comes that I have to buy batteries, or get a replacement.

:ty:

Maybe I can suggest that to my aide if she brings it up again. I dont want to offend her but she complains about how expensive the equipment is almost daily.I feel bad for her. Ok, I will keep that in mind the next time she brings it up.

I haven't stopped reading them :) I learn something new from some users comments at times.. such as Jillio,Shel90,Liebling,Cloggy..I need information from different viewpoints :)

That is the only way to make an informed decision, highlands. I applaud you for being open minded and wise enough to want to see both pros and cons. It is the sign of a mature and well adjusted individual.

That is the only way to make an informed decision, highlands. I applaud you for being open minded and wise enough to want to see both pros and cons. It is the sign of a mature and well adjusted individual.

Agree. It is best for one to undertake something big and serious with eyes wide opened. Good luck, Highlands, in whatever you choose.

:thumb:

yes, we need to open our mind to accept cons/pros on both sides. We have to face negatives and positive sometimes. It's impossible to expect 100% positive all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back