Designing A Hearing Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Jillo..yes, I am a TOD and I have taken grad courses in language development and linguistics. ASL is not the root of people's writing problems nor is deafness. Language deprivation is the culprit, plain and simple.

YW! And we are in complete agreement on that!

Oh gawds!!....

*looking for my tylenol*...

Hand me some tylenol...this is getting ridiculous..it is now becoming us against them??? :eek3:

Its-Been-Lovely-Magnet-C11749880.jpg

I am gonna type this all in caps just to prove a point here about Standard English Grammar.

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO YOUR DEAF CHILDREN IF THEY COME CRYING TO YOU, ASKING WHY YOU WASTED THEIR EARLY YEARS? AS IT IS WELL KNOWN THAT THE BEST BENEFIT A CI OFFERS IS DURING THEIR EARLY YEARS?

I think we could do a little less with worrying about how a person types or reads and worry about how we are passing our messages along.

The only thing we are here for is to learn from and support others that come here. I do not believe that a new parent that is panicked and seeking answers is going to care how well we write. All that parent is going to care about is getting the messages and getting calmed down and feeling better.

Fuzzy, I am not trying to be a *grammar cop*, I just wanted to point out that even YOU do not write perfect standard english. If I wanted to I could spend all my time in AD pointing out and rewriting thousands of posts *including some of my own* just to do what? Try to act superiour?

When I come to this board, I dont care how someone else writes. And I certainly dont care if there are a few spelling and or grammar errors in my posts. If I was writing a novel for professional gain then yes I would care. But this is not a professional writers board and never will be.

Even those of us with PHD's and Masters Degrees still make little errrors in our writings.

My suggestion is to lay off and leave it alone. You obviously can read our posts, so what more do you need?

And Fuzzy, its not that we don't understand what your writing it is how you are writing it.

If I said Cheri, youi need to clean up your grammar, I can't understand you.

Or if I said, Cheri can you please clarify what you are meaning here?

Which one sounds more like the insult?

Same thing, if I had a skinny friend who wanted to borrow my clothes and I said to them

My clothes would fall off your skinny ass, so therefore you cant borrow them because you might lose them.

Or if I said, why don't we go shopping for something for you to wear?

Get the drift here?

You, too. missed this Bear?:

Originally Posted by Audiofuzzy
perhaps you have difficulty reading because I've stated this numerous times- I have never claimed to have perfect English.

Fuzzy

and you still don't understand that I pointed out different syntaxes of English here only because it causes communication problems, and this needs to be kept in mind while discussing. that's all.

as for this;

If I said Cheri, youi need to clean up your grammar, I can't understand you.
Or if I said, Cheri can you please clarify what you are meaning here?
Same thing, if I had a skinny friend who wanted to borrow my clothes and I said to them
My clothes would fall off your skinny ass, so therefore you cant borrow them because you might lose them.

You are focusing on the wrong thing here, which causes further and further derailing from the crux of the problem.
nobody cares about nobody's grammar - because what is important - and which I told 1000 times already - is to remember that communication problems due to a different English syntaxes and grammar DO EXIST,
so when one member says to another: "it's not what I mean" - do believe it.
That's all I ever wanted to say.

Fuzzy

Thanks, Jillio; I didn't know I needed to state the obvious. It's nice to be able to have someone know what I'm obviously not saying....oh, well...

YW! I find with certain people:giggle: even the glaringly obvious needs to be stated, if you know what I mean.

This is what I am saying all along, and that is what causes mis-communication on this forum.
:)

Fuzzy

Not if you know sign language. And fuzzy, you make more syntactical errors and grammatical errors thant he signers. How do you explain that?

YW! I find with certain people:giggle: even the glaringly obvious needs to be stated, if you know what I mean.

Uh-huh. Yeeep. Sometimes you need a sledgehammer to make your point. I think Fuzzy feels like she needs a bulldozer to make her points in order for us to agree on everything with her.

Uh-huh. Yeeep. Sometimes you need a sledgehammer to make your point. I think Fuzzy feels like she needs a bulldozer to make her points in order for us to agree on everything with her.

It would take more than a bulldozer for me to agree on everything with her. Heck, I probably wont agree with everything u say on other topics but so what? We are all different...LOL!

You, too. missed this Bear?:

and you still don't understand that I pointed out different syntaxes of English here only because it causes communication problems, and this needs to be kept in mind while discussing. that's all.

as for this;

You are focusing on the wrong thing here, which causes further and further derailing from the crux of the problem.

So, explain this:
nobody cares about nobody's grammar - because what is important - and which I told 1000 times already - is to remember that communication problems due to a different English syntaxes and grammar DO EXIST
so when one member says to another: "it's not what I mean" - do believe it.
That's all I ever wanted to say.

It should be written as follows:

No one cares about anyone's grammar, because what is important (I've told you 1000 times already) is to remember that communication problems resulting from differences in English syntax and ASL syntax to exist. When one member says to another, "It's not what I mean." , believe their statement. That' all I ever wanted to say.

You don't sign. So how do you explain the errors in your pragmatics, syntax, and grammar that make you so difficult to understand? I might remind you, as well, that it is not just deaf posters who have difficulty with your posts, but hearing members of the forum, as well.

Not if you know sign language. And fuzzy, you make more syntactical errors and grammatical errors thant he signers. How do you explain that?

I don't know sign language, in case you missed it...

Fuzzy

Perhaps that is the majority of the problem. The bulldozer approach isn't effective with many people!

I thought having others answering your questions were so important to you so it should be vice versa as well?

Diversionary tactic. Simply put, she can't answer the question, so she attempts to divert attention from the fact that she can't answer it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back