Decline of sign language

Cheri said:
How so? I have my own legs to walk to get me places. I don't consider myself "disablilty" I just cannot hear, big deal, Whoopie doo!

You need accept it because you get more services and medicare program.

TrippLA said:
You need accept it because you get more services and medicare program.

What services and medicare program? You meant those who live off of government checks?

Cheri like it or not technically you are disabled, meaning- you can't hear. Perhaps to speak neither, I don't know.

Whether or not you let disability limit you, it's the other story.
Some pple does not let disability limit what they want to do, some do.

Fuzzy

Cheri said:
What services and medicare program? You meant those who live off of government checks?

where u live?

This discussion and Cheri's remarks has got me curious. Are there many people who believe that deafness is not a disability who also refuse to apply for disability support checks? If they do I would say that was very consistent!

ooops I probably disappointed Cheri again :ugh2:

For the record - am I disabled? Yes I am. Why? I can't hear.
Do I let my disability stand in my way? NO...

Fuzzy

R2D2 said:
This discussion and Cheri's remarks has got me curious. Are there many people who believe that deafness is not a disability who also refuse to apply for disability support checks? If they do I would say that was very consistent!

your daughter is cute, just look at avator. :)

Audiofuzzy said:
Cheri like it or not technically you are disabled, meaning- you can't hear. Perhaps to speak neither, I don't know.

Whether or not you let disability limit you, it's the other story.
Some pple does not let disability limit what they want to do, some do.

Fuzzy

Just because I cannot hear so that makes me disability? That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. If that was the case then I would had handicapped parking permit, educational institutions, need assistance to help me walk through any doorway, etc.

Cheri said:
Just because I cannot hear so that makes me disability? That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. If that was the case then I would had handicapped parking permit, educational institutions, need assistance to help me walk through any doorway, etc.
Cheri, I know, yes know, that there are lots of deaf people that use the disabilities-act. This to get money and get rights. Have a look here.

I think it's wonderful that you do not even consider this since you do not consider yourself handicapped. It shows great character.

Well you know that I would naturally think she was cute because I'm her mummy but it's good to know that someone else thinks she is cute too. So that means I'm not biased.

R2D2 said:
Well you know that I would naturally think she was cute because I'm her mummy but it's good to know that someone else thinks she is cute too. So that means I'm not biased.

I see.

I think when worldwide are lacking of deaf children and CI will going be out of business. Is it true?

if deafness isn't a disability- why are interpereters for schools/hospitals/etc required by the American Disability Act? Why is closed captioning mandated? Why have deaf schools supported by the government? If deafness isn't a disability - then the deaf technically shouldn't need any assistance for anything, correct?

The National Association for the Deaf classifies deafness as a disability: In this article they're calling for telecom legislation for disabled, which they include deaf

http://www.nad.org/site/pp.asp?c=foINKQMBF&b=1200745

neecy said:
if deafness isn't a disability- why are interpereters for schools/hospitals/etc required by the American Disability Act? Why is closed captioning mandated? Why have deaf schools supported by the government? If deafness isn't a disability - then the deaf technically shouldn't need any assistance for anything, correct?

The National Association for the Deaf classifies deafness as a disability: In this article they're calling for telecom legislation for disabled, which they include deaf

http://www.nad.org/site/pp.asp?c=foINKQMBF&b=1200745

I don't believe it's the same thing, They might say it is, but to me it isn't. Just because you have a sign language interpreter because lack of communication between hearing and Deaf people. Not all hearing people have the knowledge or patience with how to communicate with a Deaf person. Which that is very commonly. Closed Caption is the same thing, It's very hard to read lips all the time, even when actors and actress turn their head around in the movies, It just like reading a book, that's how I see closed caption to be to me. I never went to Deaf education, I went to oral, mainstream and total communication.

I love to see that deaf is considered to be disability and everyone need accept and get over it.

Deafness is not a disability, it is a golden silence that benefits us.

TrippLA said:
I love to see that deaf is considered to be disability and everyone need accept and get over it.

Heck! We are normal people and it is the hearing who are more disabled. If they do not know what to do with us, they are more handicapped. They are the ones who needed interpreters.

Deafness is not a disability, it is a golden silence that benefits us.

=^)

:cheers:

Cheri do you think "disability" is a dirty word?

Because it isn't.
It is just worod that is stating a fact, that someone is lacking something that a "whole able" person has.

A person is fully abled when a person does not need any assistance, be it deaf interpreter, TTY, wheelchair, seeying dog, artificial limbs, or whatever.

Since we do not hear, hence we are lacking VITAL sense, we are not abled- we are disabled.
there is no shame in it, nor does it mean that because we are hearing disabled we are NOT abled.
Being DIS - abled and NOT- abled are two different things.

A person is dis-abled when a person can not hear on its own.
A person is NOT abled when a person lets lack of hearing stand in the way of achievements..

How about that?

Fuzzy

WE CAN DO ANYTHING EXCEPT TO HEAR!

Of course and EXACTLY!

That's the whole point :)

The disability lies in not being able to hear, that's all.

Fuzzy

Back