Decline of sign language

Wikipedia has alot of offer to find it. I'm going find something soon and you are hard head.

If I am hard head then you have head hard as diamond. Unfortunately you don't shine like diamond, just your head is as hard, that's all.

Find me these proofs then I'll see.

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:
If I am hard head then you have head hard as diamond. Unfortunately you don't shine like diamond, just your head is as hard, that's all.

Find me these proofs then I'll see.

Fuzzy

nope, wikipedia is one site that approve to you, that only one proof. I have admit that all of you said about CI so you are all wrong. it's too far if u ask my teacher that she's best deaf person with great experience.

How do we know about SL?, there is nothing mentioned in there about SL...
Well, on the Coachlear Corp. page they say that 1/2 of all implantees know Sign!

I am sorry I don't understand.

Neither TrippLa nor you Deafdyke- I was talking about a quote TrippLA provided:

Australia, Denmark and Norway, 80 to 90% of deaf children have cochlear implants..

then he said these children does not know SL.

It doesn't say anything about SL in the quote, that's why I asked where does it say?

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:
I am sorry I don't understand.

Neither TrippLa nor you Deafdyke- I was talking about a quote TrippLA provided:

Australia, Denmark and Norway, 80 to 90% of deaf children have cochlear implants..

then he said these children does not know SL.

It doesn't say anything about SL in the quote, that's why I asked where does it say?

Fuzzy

It's best way for you to contact CI and they can give you answer, or ask deaf teacher that who have good experience with deaf children or ask hearing teacher that who teaches ASL, or accept what fact said on wikipedia, or visit CI companies in Colorado. I'm only one got something from deaf teacher, she know about CI and writer that who answer about CI is fact. I don't know if Australia were counted on deaf children or CI can be misunderstood.

TrippLA said:
not only reason... there's too many reason that parents in USA don't want deaf children get implant. stop force them to get implant. u live in norway, that where all of ur crap is in norway, not our problem. thanks to god for not live in ur country.
Again, you are giving me characteristics I don't posess.

I have not forced anyone... Again, show me, or apologize.

TrippLA said:
nope, wikipedia is one site that approve to you, that only one proof. I have admit that all of you said about CI so you are all wrong. it's too far if u ask my teacher that she's best deaf person with great experience.
EXCELLENT... "Wikipedia is the only proof", "All someone else said is all wrong", "deaf teacher - who hates CI - is the one with great experience"....
So this is how you get your facts.

You know what... I don't need an apology from you. If this is where you get your "facts", then you don't want information, you don't want a discussion. You just want to curl up in your corner of the sandbox.
Have a happy life.

Actually to be fair to TrippLA they are worried about the future of Auslan (Australian sign language) but CI's aren't the main or only reason for this. Simply, fewer deaf children are being born and being enrolled in deaf schools. Other factors are decreased fertility rate in general, immunizations, improved medical care and I guess CIs to a degree.

I've also heard of people going through IVF to try and avoid having deaf children (no not hearing parents they were deaf!).

In America this concern is not as great because the population is vastly bigger than Australia's (we only have 20 million) and so this means that deaf people across the USA tend to move to known deaf centres so thus maintaining the critical mass needed to keep the language alive.

Auslan is a protected language in Australia and it gets a lot of support. But I guess in the history of humankind some languages die - look at latin. You can't force people to use it by taking away their choices. We live in a very choice oriented society.

R2D2 said:
Actually to be fair to TrippLA they are worried about the future of Auslan (Australian sign language) but CI's aren't the main or only reason for this. Simply, fewer deaf children are being born and being enrolled in deaf schools. Other factors are decreased fertility rate in general, immunizations, improved medical care and I guess CIs to a degree.

I've also heard of people going through IVF to try and avoid having deaf children (no not hearing parents they were deaf!).

In America this concern is not as great because the population is vastly bigger than Australia's (we only have 20 million) and so this means that deaf people across the USA tend to move to known deaf centres so thus maintaining the critical mass needed to keep the language alive.

Auslan is a protected language in Australia and it gets a lot of support. But I guess in the history of humankind some languages die - look at latin. You can't force people to use it by taking away their choices. We live in a very choice oriented society.
Very good post, excellent information.

From Norway I can add that also here sign language is an official language. (I think USA is lacking on that department). Also, parents of deaf children get free signlanguage-courses, twice a year, each a week long, where also information is given regarding deafness, culture etc. (I think USA is also lacking on that department) With only 4 million people here, the deaf population is very small, but they have excellent rights. Like free education, right to (free) interpreterservices, etc.

Norway is looking after it's deaf population and people are encouraged to learn sign. Not just parents, also grandparents are invited to courses, and also the brother and sister of my deaf daughter are offered a weeks course...

R2D2 said:

IVF is gentic test?

Cloggy said:
EXCELLENT... "Wikipedia is the only proof", "All someone else said is all wrong", "deaf teacher - who hates CI - is the one with great experience"....
So this is how you get your facts.

You know what... I don't need an apology from you. If this is where you get your "facts", then you don't want information, you don't want a discussion. You just want to curl up in your corner of the sandbox.
Have a happy life.

Does it is right for me?

Cloggy said:
Very good post, excellent information.

From Norway I can add that also here sign language is an official language. (I think USA is lacking on that department). Also, parents of deaf children get free signlanguage-courses, twice a year, each a week long, where also information is given regarding deafness, culture etc. (I think USA is also lacking on that department) With only 4 million people here, the deaf population is very small, but they have excellent rights. Like free education, right to (free) interpreterservices, etc.

Norway is looking after it's deaf population and people are encouraged to learn sign. Not just parents, also grandparents are invited to courses, and also the brother and sister of my deaf daughter are offered a weeks course...

Give me a break... USA has alot of services except for free medical center, we get free interpreters, free ASL classes at some LA school (It will come in Van Nuys High School in Fall 2006), there's free education as called "public school", there's many deaf school for free, Medicare program, Supplemental Security Income, Social Security Disability Insurance, there's many deaf centers for free and many others. ASL is known as widely in USA and still growing. You need read my post, don't waste my time to explain again. You haven't been in USA.

TrippLA said:
IVF is gentic test?

No it's a fertility treatment for having babies. See Wikipedia for more information on how it works. It used to be just for the infertile but now the technology has developed to such a degree that they are able to screen embryos for genetic conditions and only implant embryos that do not have the condition being screened for.

My daughter was born via IVF as my husband has infertility. We were offered genetic screening on top of fertility treatment since my deafness is caused by a genetic condition. We refused it, because we do not feel that deaf people are of any less value than hearing people. To me it felt like that I shouldn't have been born! My daughter was born hearing anyway, just the statistical lot of the draw.

However I have read in the news of deaf couples without fertility problems getting IVF so that they could screen the embryos for deafness.

R2D2 said:
No it's a fertility treatment for having babies. See Wikipedia for more information on how it works. It used to be just for the infertile but now the technology has developed to such a degree that they are able to screen embryos for genetic conditions and only implant embryos that do not have the condition being screened for.

My daughter was born via IVF as my husband has infertility. We were offered genetic screening on top of fertility treatment since my deafness is caused by a genetic condition. We refused it, because we do not feel that deaf people are of any less value than hearing people. To me it felt like that I shouldn't have been born! My daughter was born hearing anyway, just the statistical lot of the draw.

However I have read in the news of deaf couples without fertility problems getting IVF so that they could screen the embryos for deafness.

I see, thanks for information. The doctor found out that I was profound hearing loss when I was 19 month old in 1989. I don't know what happen with me.

btw, ur daughter is cute, from avator.

Cloggy said:
Disability.... what disability?

It's word from USA for deaf, blind, retard mental, physical issue, cannot walk, autism and many thing.

TrippLA said:
It's word from USA for deaf, blind, retard mental, physical issue, cannot walk, autism and many thing.
I thought deafnes was not a disability? :dunno:

TrippLA said:
In USA, deaf is part of disability.

How so? I have my own legs to walk to get me places. I don't consider myself "disablilty" I just cannot hear, big deal, Whoopie doo!

Back