Death of Deaf clubs

Really....banned? Not that I care but on what basis do you think he got the boot? Maybe we lost an opportunity to win a convert????

Massive "to do" in a thread started by FJ about something that happened to her. It was totally taken "out of context" an was never able to be dropped and moved along. The posts were just too much fire and therefore there were consequences.

So we are moving along and enjoying ourselves now.

Massive "to do" in a thread started by FJ about something that happened to her. It was totally taken "out of context" an was never able to be dropped and moved along. The posts were just too much fire and therefore there were consequences.

So we are moving along and enjoying ourselves now.

Yeah, I was there for that whole thread....so that was the reason? Hmmm, okay....

I am currently President of the local Deaf sports club which has about 90 members. There are seven Deaf clubs with their own purpose and one service for the Deaf in Ottawa. Be honest with you, it is too many clubs in a city with about one million people.

No deaf clubs in Texas? :D
Maybe you should stay and set up the FIRST DEAF COWBOY/COWGIRL CLUB in the world? :laugh2:

There are deaf clubs in Texas (i.e. Dallas, Fort Worth) but not in Houston.
Here in Houston there are a large number of independent social activities.
The largest church-deaf group gets about 300 every Sunday...the seniors get about 65 every other Wednesday.....the black-deaf get about 40 once-a-month......the latino-deaf get about 35 once-a-month....the professional/hard of hearing get about 50 once-a-month....the regular city wide (i.e. all-comers) get about 150 every other Friday.......I could go on but you get the idea........the original Deaf Club disband in 1998

Really....banned? Not that I care but on what basis do you think he got the boot? Maybe we lost an opportunity to win a convert????

He was trolling. Simple as that. I think it's pretty obvious if you've read the thread. People were being fairly polite for most of the time, and then he tried drawing every opposing view into the conversation with vicious rhetoric and demeaning statements. He was simply trying to fan flames and incite a flame war where none needed to be. That's grounds for ban. Permaban? I don't know, but I'm just glad he's not posting for now.

An opportunity to win a convert? LOL, did you read what the guy was saying? No way he was converting. He was only interested in arguing.

He was trolling. Simple as that. I think it's pretty obvious if you've read the thread. People were being fairly polite for most of the time, and then he tried drawing every opposing view into the conversation with vicious rhetoric and demeaning statements. He was simply trying to fan flames and incite a flame war where none needed to be. That's grounds for ban. Permaban? I don't know, but I'm just glad he's not posting for now.

An opportunity to win a convert? LOL, did you read what the guy was saying? No way he was converting. He was only interested in arguing.

I agree. He is moron when it come to arguing and not being pleasant with us, Deafies/Hard of Hearies plus Hearies. Yep, he is trolling all right. Boy, what a jerk. Sorry about off topic. Start going on about Deaf Clubs, please. :roll:

Yeah, he was doing a lot of baiting and deserved a lot of the responses....

I live in Minneapolis, MN. With Mpls/St. Paul and surrounding suburbs totalling well over one million in population we have a very good sized deaf community. There is the deaf club in St Paul that was donated by a deaf man (he's dead now) that was his home, a 4 story home at that, so there's gatherings there every single weekend. With the advent of poker the place is jam packed on weekends. We also have DPHH every month, and there's always other events going on like cc movies at the deaf club, camping, snowmobiling, etc.

I live in Minneapolis, MN. With Mpls/St. Paul and surrounding suburbs totalling well over one million in population we have a very good sized deaf community. There is the deaf club in St Paul that was donated by a deaf man (he's dead now) that was his home, a 4 story home at that, so there's gatherings there every single weekend. With the advent of poker the place is jam packed on weekends. We also have DPHH every month, and there's always other events going on like cc movies at the deaf club, camping, snowmobiling, etc.
That sounds that it has made the deaf man feel happy when he donated the house.

The home....would that be Thompson Hall?

The home....would that be Thompson Hall?

Yep!

When he died he left it in some sort of a trust - I don't know the specifics - but it has been run by a "Board" that oversees operations, utilities, etc. to keep the place running. It's been a nice hangout :) (it's even got a bar! Yes, they have a liquor license! LOL)

Yep!

When he died he left it in some sort of a trust - I don't know the specifics - but it has been run by a "Board" that oversees operations, utilities, etc. to keep the place running. It's been a nice hangout :) (it's even got a bar! Yes, they have a liquor license! LOL)
:lol: Yeah, I know the place but have only been in it a couple of times. I was born and raised in Faribault but been in CA for 40 yrs now. I'm the eldest but my 4 siblings are still there, all within a mile of one another.

Then I'm sure you set foot in the place :)

It used to be so "dead" in the 70's and 80's when I was growing up, but that sure changed in a hurry with the poker so the place has seen activity like it's never seen before :lol:

Then I'm sure you set foot in the place :)

It used to be so "dead" in the 70's and 80's when I was growing up, but that sure changed in a hurry with the poker so the place has seen activity like it's never seen before :lol:

What with the dearth of deaf clubs these days, I am sure glad to hear that Thompson Hall's thriving! Ever been to Faribo?

Not to mention cute women

dontcha know

Donating a house to the deaf.... :hmm: not bad

Not to mention cute women

dontcha know

Donating a house to the deaf.... :hmm: not bad

And have it converted to meet commercial code so it can be a public gathering place...rest rooms, etc, etc????

What with the dearth of deaf clubs these days, I am sure glad to hear that Thompson Hall's thriving! Ever been to Faribo?

Not in a while. Their homecoming is a big event every year but I haven't gone in 10+ years.

And have it converted to meet commercial code so it can be a public gathering place...rest rooms, etc, etc????

Yep. I don't know how long it's been since you were last there -- the top (4th) floor is now the caretaker's apartment, the 3rd floor is the stage/auditorium where they show the cc movies or have plays, the 2nd floor has a billiard room and dining hall with kitchen, and the 1st (lowest) floor has the restrooms, bar, poker rooms, tv lounge, etc. There's actually a subfloor beneath the 1st floor but it's the boiler room only. So it's a pretty good-sized place.

Not in a while. Their homecoming is a big event every year but I haven't gone in 10+ years.

Yep. I don't know how long it's been since you were last there -- the top (4th) floor is now the caretaker's apartment, the 3rd floor is the stage/auditorium where they show the cc movies or have plays, the 2nd floor has a billiard room and dining hall with kitchen, and the 1st (lowest) floor has the restrooms, bar, poker rooms, tv lounge, etc. There's actually a subfloor beneath the 1st floor but it's the boiler room only. So it's a pretty good-sized place.

Wow, yes, that's sure a sizable place! Been since before 1970 that I've been there! :lol: You a MN native? Where did you go to school? Mainstreamed?

Born and raised in MN. Mainstreamed all my life with the exception of preschool where I learned ASL and speech.

Back