Death of Deaf clubs

DDU

Reaction score
are there deaf clubs in your area? over the years i have seen them die off. deaf do not need to meet face to face to socialize as much it seems.

there's one SDAD in SD and they're full of old people from 70s to 90s and im at my early 20's so.

There are two that I know of, but I have heard there are about 6 others as well. That's all in this once area. One of the ones is a little farther south of me as it covers a high school (public, mainstreamed). There is a large deaf population there and all the kids, hearing and deaf both know ASL. I am part of the Palm Beach County Association of the Deaf (PBCAD) and they are mostly 50-80 years of age. They are looking to get more younger people in. I am one of the youngest at 47.

Only 2 I know of here (Jax)...one on the west and one on the south sides of town....someone did say they've resorted to just playing "poker", not much socializing....I haven't been in a long time.

What about Deaf Camp like RV and tents to go places to rough out the wilderness as they like to socialize around the camp fire at night? :hmm: I went to one years ago. I just could not afford to pay for the camping trip and to pay for the campground and etc. It just cost money but Deaf campers don't mind. Right now, we don't use Clubs for socializing anymore so we use Deaf events which is a lot better than the word "Club". Things have change. Now we have internet but still some Deafies go to Deaf events to socialize for coffee. :thumb:

Only 2 I know of here (Jax)...one on the west and one on the south sides of town....someone did say they've resorted to just playing "poker", not much socializing....I haven't been in a long time.

I know th PBCAD has things that go on every day of the week as well as deaf movie nights once a month, Saturday nights are FINGO and Texas Hold 'em, and there is a monthly picnic and all kinds of things. They also have SINGO and are bringing back BINGO. I know Bingo, but never heard of singo and fingo.

There used to be a get together back where I'm from called a "silent supper" at a food court in a mall but don't know about now. And a restaurant near that mall used to have a deaf happy hour every week.

show your age

if you remember going to a deaf club i guess it shows your age. i remember there were 2 in philadelphia and you could go to both the same weekend night. both closed and where i am now the only club is open once in a while and when it is open it is mostly seniors playing cards.
there is so much to keep our attention now. CC for almost everything you watch. the internet to talk with 10 people at the same time. and text messaging to stay n daily contact.

if you remember going to a deaf club i guess it shows your age. i remember there were 2 in philadelphia and you could go to both the same weekend night. both closed and where i am now the only club is open once in a while and when it is open it is mostly seniors playing cards.
there is so much to keep our attention now. CC for almost everything you watch. the internet to talk with 10 people at the same time. and text messaging to stay n daily contact.

That make a very interesting life, eh? :cool2:

We have several deaf clubs such as ASL Clubs, Deaf Night Out, Baduppies, Pizza Night on every Thursdays (bowling night after pizza night), and there's plenty deaf events in SF, Bay Area, Marin Country, and Sacramento. :D

We have several deaf clubs such as ASL Clubs, Deaf Night Out, Baduppies, Pizza Night on every Thursdays (bowling night after pizza night), and there's plenty deaf events in SF, Bay Area, Marin Country, and Sacramento. :D

That's it..... I'm moving

That's it..... I'm moving

No shit. I can't can't wait to get back to the Bay Area when I am done in Indiana!

Seems like the hotspots are the three big evils eh?
SF, DC and NYC

Back