Deafhood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. Doubt I will be reading it for advice.

I figured that. You know Ladd's hearing?

POH- Actually, Ladd is Deaf. He was born Deaf and mainstreamed. He didn't find his way into the Deaf Community until he was 22 years old. Now he is a Deaf activist.

TXgolfer- My parents are both hearing and they provided me with invaluable feedback/advice. They didn't tell me what I should do, or what I shouldn't do- they challenged my thinking and perspective and I am where I am today thanks to them. What you are saying is, I should ignore them because they are hearing?

Not about you (them), just that I, myself, find it of no use. Haven't I made that clear time and time again?

and why are you still repeating it?

Let me answer my own question for you. You want to have your last word in. You prefer us to agree to disagree rather than you agreeing to disagree.

That's how much of an ego you have. You are a serial rapist.

You repeately asked PFH if you should stop writing posts, after PFH questioned the point of your posts.

You demanded a yes or no question from a specific disorted perspective that would render the position of PFH flawed. Your solution to the position of PFH, is to stop writing them, even if it's other solutions, like writing posts that makes sense to PFH. PFH suggested you to stop contributing to this thread after you hinted the choice is to either accept posts from you that are pointless to PFH, or that you'll stop contributing in this thread/AD.

After that answer, you made a final postion, that you have the right to express yourself. But that was not the postition of PFH in the beginning, that you shouldn't be allowed to express yourself. The position was that your posts are pointless.

So yeah, it's a straw man, as you ended up attacking a disorted version of the original position of PFH.
Incorrect. I only asked him twice the same question even though I already responded on why I contribute.

Again, he never stated his position in the first place which was why I asked for clarification.

Mine isn't a straw man. He never stated his position in the first place. How am I supposed to know without asking? And, also, since I was asking a question I wasn't asking for a "yes" or "no" response but a response that would answer my question. He responded. Case closed.

No. I don't have the right to express myself in whatever fashion I want in this forum. It's a privilege to post here...not a right. There are rules and limitations in this forum. But that wasn't what I was referring to but the question of whether he was asking me that I stop contributing to AD or not. He already made clear his position afterwards.

POH- Actually, Ladd is Deaf. He was born Deaf and mainstreamed. He didn't find his way into the Deaf Community until he was 22 years old. Now he is a Deaf activist.

TXgolfer- My parents are both hearing and they provided me with invaluable feedback/advice. They didn't tell me what I should do, or what I shouldn't do- they challenged my thinking and perspective and I am where I am today thanks to them. What you are saying is, I should ignore them because they are hearing?

Ah, I stand corrected.

Now to correct others who told me this.

first I believe I used "I" statements in my previous post. We are all free to choose our own advisors.

That is wonderful that you get the feedback you need from your parents. It is also wonderful you get feedback and advice from posters here that you respect. I have no problem with that.

However, others are having a different experience. Thus, perhaps the observation and help regarding identity and identifying could be reserved for and limited to those that request it. That way everyone can have a happy journey

No,that is not what Grummer is saying at all.

Many on here have oppposing viewpoints, and are able to discuss them rationally and intelligently. What gets koko into trouble is not his opposing viewpoints, but his air of superiority, his patronizing attitude, his hypocricy, and his distain for anyone that does not agree with him. In short, it is his attitude. He uses the Deaf on AD as a way to attempt to reconcile his bad experiences of being rejected by the Deaf in many different venues.

'cept that, the bolded part word for word is an excellent description of what you do, Jillio. So why gripe at koko?

'cept that, the bolded part word for word is an excellent description of what you do, Jillio. So why gripe at koko?

Hmm, didn't I say it'd be better to agree to disagree, and then go out for a drink?

How 'bout them Red Sox, hmmm???? :lol:

Mariners! Though not an avid sports fan but I like sitting up in the noise bleed section, sun on my face...and singing the song, Take Me Out to the Ball Game. Sadly, it's incredibly $$$$ just to sit out there. One large soda drink for $6.00? :shock: You can bring your own food but it's not fair sitting where the aroma of ribs and burgers cooking waft all over the place. :pissed:

Boston swept the Yankees, broom, broom, broom, so I'm a happy camper!

OK, back to Deafhood...

No,that is not what Grummer is saying at all.

Many on here have oppposing viewpoints, and are able to discuss them rationally and intelligently. What gets koko into trouble is not his opposing viewpoints, but his air of superiority, his patronizing attitude, his hypocricy, and his distain for anyone that does not agree with him. In short, it is his attitude. He uses the Deaf on AD as a way to attempt to reconcile his bad experiences of being rejected by the Deaf in many different venues.

Thank you Jill!, yes that is not name calling. I myself and as does many of us in here gets so sick of his sneaky wanking-ish attitude trying to stoke his own fire for some kind of superiority masturbation. Being more hearing than us? I for one not once thinks is better or to be even proud of, more than us. d/Deaf people I know in real life (and me too) have very rich lives, probably richer than his going by the way that how KN is utterly heavy obsessed with piano, Charlie Brown and stalking AD members, how boring is that, in fact I am beginning to question his state of the mental health.

Interesting case of a straw man fallacy:
Classic straw man. GrendelQ does this a lot, too.

:cuddle: flip is sooo into me. I'm taken, but still, it's awfully sweet that you are always thinking of me.

That is such a nice fantasy.

But hey, we do have a local library and we hope to keep it.

what you mean by 'fantasy' are you saying Deafhood is some kind of too 'idealistic'? you cant say it if you havent read the book...or nor understand it properly, in fact i believer few deaf people actually understands it..fewer still for hearing people, its really quite dependent on how you think , but that i mean 'exactly as that, it depends how well you understand the 'social problems and how you actually interprets the grassroots of Deaf culture...

You have that part right on all counts. But I was exposed to Deaf culture before it was known to be a culture and before ASL was a recognized language.

marxism is such a nice fantasy, again very few sociology bigwigs/students REALLY understands it, i mean like most sociology students 'will udnerstand the 'concept' but will quickly dismiss it as 'idealistic and not 'workable'..without much thoughts...

hope you get my drift there..

Sorry but Marxism is not a nice fantasy. I would call it psychotic rather than idealistic, but if it is idealistic it is not an ideal I want any part of.

Unfortunately it is workable.

I think Berry was talking about the library having the book or having an actual library. See his comment:

But hey, we do have a local library and we hope to keep it.

got a feeling that his community is about to lose their library?

Thank you.

hmm , sorry now i get it, yeah thats sad, library are the heartbeat of the community, yeah that would be awful to lose the library, fingers crossed that they don't.

We probably won't lose it but hours have been cut, days have been cut, and when I picked up a book on electronics it still discussed tubes.

Most people in there now are gathered around the five or six computers they have.

The mere act of accepting one over the other can become a measuring stick...thus to the point of "embracing" it. That need to be acknowledged. Sure, we have similar experiences and they may overlap widely or intimately, sometimes seemingly mutually exclusive but a tenuous connection may be there. Our journey is still unique and personal. Ideological concept has no place for it or else it'll turn into a labeling game. I say no thanks to that. Why do I need a label to define my journey?

Are you afraid of labels?

Do you not like to be called a human being? Parent? Musician? Blogger?

Language is not holistic. It operates by abstracting qualities. Once enough qualities are collected then you have a composite that qualifies as a definition.

There is a distinct difference between "labeling" someone and utilizing a quality to help define them.

Labels are limiting. People who label other people, creatures, or things, refuse to admit to any other quality being included. Labels limit the person, creature, or thing to one role, quality, or function, and admit to no other.

Qualities are cumulative and eventually develop a whole picture.

For example Shel has many qualities and roles in life. She is a woman. She is Deaf, a wife, a parent, a teacher, and part time philosopher on AllDeaf. I would extrapolate from reading her posts on AllDeaf that she is also a student.

If you see accepting Deafhood as limiting you, or taking away all of your other qualities, or of overpowering everything else you are and reducing you to only one thing -- Then it is a label and you would be putting it on yourself.

But if you are like Shel and others and see it as one more quality that helps define you and enriches your life by doing so then it will not be a label and will not diminish you. It is simply a quality that, combined with other qualities, describe you.

I personally think you are rejecting the quality of Deafhood as a part of you because you are rejecting the journey. Therefore you insult it by calling it a label.

Are you afraid of labels?

Do you not like to be called a human being? Parent? Musician? Blogger?

Language is not holistic. It operates by abstracting qualities. Once enough qualities are collected then you have a composite that qualifies as a definition.

There is a distinct difference between "labeling" someone and utilizing a quality to help define them.

Labels are limiting. People who label other people, creatures, or things, refuse to admit to any other quality being included. Labels limit the person, creature, or thing to one role, quality, or function, and admit to no other.

Qualities are cumulative and eventually develop a whole picture.

For example Shel has many qualities and roles in life. She is a woman. She is Deaf, a wife, a parent, a teacher, and part time philosopher on AllDeaf. I would extrapolate from reading her posts on AllDeaf that she is also a student.

If you see accepting Deafhood as limiting you, or taking away all of your other qualities, or of overpowering everything else you are and reducing you to only one thing -- Then it is a label and you would be putting it on yourself.

But if you are like Shel and others and see it as one more quality that helps define you and enriches your life by doing so then it will not be a label and will not diminish you. It is simply a quality that, combined with other qualities, describe you.

I personally think you are rejecting the quality of Deafhood as a part of you because you are rejecting the journey. Therefore you insult it by calling it a label.

When it becomes an ideological and politicization labeling game then I have no need for it. I prefer to keep it simple. My journey is a deeply personal one yet there is no rejecting my own journey. You've attempted to define what my journey should be.

When it becomes an ideological and politicization labeling game then I have no need for it. I prefer to keep it simple. My journey is a deeply personal one yet there is no rejecting my own journey. You've attempted to define what my journey should be.

I defined the difference between labels and qualities.

I'm not commented on what your journey should be, I'm simply saying I don't think you taking one. I think you are sitting on the crossroads refusing to budge.

Now my mother would say that not making a choice is in fact making a choice, and refusal to journey is the journey itself.

I don't understand how anything said here would indicate Ladd's book is ideological or political labeling or that it is a game.

We probably won't lose it but hours have been cut, days have been cut, and when I picked up a book on electronics it still discussed tubes.

Most people in there now are gathered around the five or six computers they have.

sad that will lose our book libraries to free computer stations

I defined the difference between labels and qualities.

I'm not commented on what your journey should be, I'm simply saying I don't think you taking one. I think you are sitting on the crossroads refusing to budge.

Now my mother would say that not making a choice is in fact making a choice, and refusal to journey is the journey itself.

I don't understand how anything said here would indicate Ladd's book is ideological or political labeling or that it is a game.

I personally think you are rejecting the quality of Deafhood as a part of you because you are rejecting the journey.

Yes, you've attempted to define what my journey should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back