Deaf schools or mainstream?

No, Meggie. You have been told that mainstream did for you, but as is evidenced by the need for you to take courses in college at a developmental level to teach you what you were supposed to have been taught in high school, the mainstream obviously did not.

That was what my thinking was like just after I graduated in high school..that mainstreaming was the best for me and I got such a great education. I was in huge denial...wow!

No, Meggie. You have been told that mainstream did for you, but as is evidenced by the need for you to take courses in college at a developmental level to teach you what you were supposed to have been taught in high school, the mainstream obviously did not.

What I want is challenges. CPT is challenging. I like challenges. I don't like to take F-Cat because it sucks.

What I want is challenges. CPT is challenging. I like challenges. I don't like to take F-Cat because it sucks.

That is the whole point, sweetie. If you had been challenged in high school, your diploma would mean that you were now ready to do college level work. You are having to take developmental courses to make up for the fact that you were not taught what you needed to know to do college level work in high school. When you graduate high school, if you have been properly taught, you go right in and start taking college freshman level courses. You have not been able to do that. It means that you did not learn all that you needed to before they handed you that diploma, and the mainstream did not teach you with the same degree of competence that they teach their nondisabled students.

That is the whole point, sweetie. If you had been challenged in high school, your diploma would mean that you were now ready to do college level work. You are having to take developmental courses to make up for the fact that you were not taught what you needed to know to do college level work in high school. When you graduate high school, if you have been properly taught, you go right in and start taking college freshman level courses. You have not been able to do that. It means that you did not learn all that you needed to before they handed you that diploma, and the mainstream did not teach you with the same degree of competence that they teach their nondisabled students.

My teacher did. Not CPT. My teachers taught me how college works in classroom. but not CPT.

My teacher did. Not CPT. My teachers taught me how college works in classroom. but not CPT.

Okay. Then why are you having to take developmental courses before you can take college level courses?

Okay. Then why are you having to take developmental courses before you can take college level courses?

Yeah and I starting to understand what College Success is about. It help you to succeed your majors.

College Placement Test. Test place you on how well you do on the subject.

I took those and failed the math part..had to take remedial math classes during my first year of college. I learned the reason why I didnt have a strong grasp of math was cuz I wasnt taught very well from the beginning to build a strong foundation in math.

I noticed that after learning ASL, my math and literacy skills improved even at the age of 30. If I had ASL growing up, maybe I wouldnt be struggling with my studies...

In Math I did. Almost did it but still. :lol:

Meggie, you said earlier that you were several points below scoring into a college level algebra course. That means that your math skills are not good enough to do college level work. Just like shel, you weren't taught what you needed to know to do college level math.

Meggie, you said earlier that you were several points below scoring into a college level algebra course. That means that your math skills are not good enough to do college level work. Just like shel, you weren't taught what you needed to know to do college level math.

HEY I can do Precal. I just need a teacher in front of me to help!

Yeah and I starting to understand what College Success is about. It help you to succeed your majors.

And that is something that you should have been taught in high school. You can succeed in your major area of study if you were taught to read, write, and do math at the college level before you graduate high school. And deaf kids in the mainstream are not getting those skills.

Right..I had to take two remedial classes to make up for wasted education...

if I didnt learn enough with Math in high school, why did they pass me and give me a diploma? Just passing me off so the district dont have to pay more $$ for accodomations? That's the ugly side of mainstreaming and I learned that in the hard way...

if I didnt learn enough with Math in high school, why did they pass me and give me a diploma? Just passing me off so the district dont have to pay more $$ for accodomations? That's the ugly side of mainstreaming and I learned that in the hard way...

Not me. I passed everything actually. Lucky me with help of my parents.

That is exactly what happens. They give you a diploma that means nothing, and try to convince you that they did a great job. Then you go out into the real world and realize that you were cheated out of an education.

That is exactly what happens. They give you a diploma that means nothing, and try to convince you that they did a great job. Then you go out into the real world and realize that you were cheated out of an education.

Some can succeeded as they can.

Sweetie, they gave you a passing grade. But they didn't teach you the skills necessary to do college level work. The college is trying to do that now by allowing you to take remedial courses.

I passed everything..I made the honors roll several times but yet when I went to college, to my horror, I learned that I wasnt ready for college level math. Looks like the same thing happened to you judging from your posts.

Back