Deaf schools or mainstream?

i went to mainstream school until 9 grade

went to deaf school from 9 grade to senior year

never like deaf school but glad that i have few friends from deaf school

no offense but i rather mainstream school better than deaf school

garrent, which deaf school did you attend? I have to say I think that part of the reason upper level academics at deaf schools suck, is b/c most of the time, deaf schools are just seen as a dumping ground for mainstream failures.

never like deaf school but glad that i have few friends from deaf school

Could you please tell us why you don't like deaf school? I suspect it has to do with the level of education. Is that so?

If so, that is why I want to see the deaf schools stay on but with improved education as in on the par with the hearing schools.

no offense but i rather mainstream school better than deaf school
No offended taken. ;) I've been mainstreamed and I did liked it, I never been to a deaf school in my entire life though, so I cannot comment on deaf schools.

If so, that is why I want to see the deaf schools stay on but with improved education as in on the par with the hearing schools.
YES INDEEDY!!!! We NEED to improve Deaf Schools! I mean one reason that some parents give as to why they want their kids "oralized" is b/c they will allegedly get a better education. If we improved the Deaf Schools, then more parents would be interested in sending their dhh kids there. I mean there's already some good Deaf Schools and programs which is awesome.....we still have a LONG way to go thou.

And you know..............some people do have difficulty realizing what a good education is. I have a friend who is kind of high and mighty about the fact that she was mainstreamed and so got a "good education." Yet she is a classic example of a person who fell through the cracks. She never even got RESOURCE ROOM help! She has difficulty reading. Like for example, I I mentioned something from a magazine that is for people who like to read Wikkipedia. She interpreted that as me saying that I'd read it on Wikkipedia? She also cannot write a basic letter. It's basicly a bunch of disjointed ideas and sentances. To my thinking, she got a horrible education. But b/c she can be high and mighty, she thinks that she got a better education, then she would have if she'd gone to a partial hearing unit or a Deaf School.

YES INDEEDY!!!! We NEED to improve Deaf Schools! I mean one reason that some parents give as to why they want their kids "oralized" is b/c they will allegedly get a better education. If we improved the Deaf Schools, then more parents would be interested in sending their dhh kids there. I mean there's already some good Deaf Schools and programs which is awesome.....we still have a LONG way to go thou.

They need to improve education for Deaf School

So does the same for the mainstream schools, too.
**nodding** The mainstream system is in great need of improvement when it comes to the education of deaf students. Since the Deaf schools adhere to the public school, state mandated curriculum, the mainstream must be improved.

only little.

Only a little? Sorry to be blunt but yea right! Overcrowding classrooms, teachers unable to meet all the diverse needs, assessment directed instruction, and so forth. Like Jillo, mainstreaming needs a serious overhaul.

Only a little? Sorry to be blunt but yea right! Overcrowding classrooms, teachers unable to meet all the diverse needs, assessment directed instruction, and so forth. Like Jillo, mainstreaming needs a serious overhaul.

My class was not full

My class was not full

Neither are the class sizes in our school district. Additionally, having had a child go through the system, they were able to meet the needs of the students. I contrast my school district to the Deaf school less then 5 miles away and there is no comparision. The level of education the students receive in the Deaf school does not compare to that of my daughters' public school.

Can I find fault with the public school system, of course I can but having faced the decision of whether to place a child into a deaf school versus our local public school and the examination of both programs was done by a teacher with a Masters in Special Education, the Deaf school came up woefully short of our public school.

Again, each school district is different but to universally dismiss the mainstream school system by making blanket and inaccurate generalizations serves no purpose. I am certain there are some very fine deaf schools somewhere in the US and in certain situations it may be the most appropriate setting for a child, but not always.
Rick

Back