Deaf schools or mainstream?

This makes me feel lucky that I had a good interpreter and good teachers at high school in my honors and AP classes, making my degree, a high honors one, from there mean something. I took less classes at RIT because of the AP tests.

I know of at least one person who just got a local high school degree at the same school, not the state one and had trouble with English. He most likely had a different educational background before high school, maybe with mediocre to terrible schools, or didn't take school as seriously.

Yes, you obviously were one of the lucky ones, Redfox!

I find it rather something interesting here....

Suggest you to re-read the first 3-4 pages (and few of those submitted after pages 3-4) where some posts submitted by those mainstreamed H.S. graduates who didn't write well especially grammar which you should spot immediately on. I'm not going to name those posters out of respect.

I would safely say those several posters must be disillusioned claiming that mainstream schools provided (provide) better education. Although I do believe that some mainstream schools did provide better education in general, if not all than some deaf schools did for sure. (think it might be fair enough... sort of)

Let's ask yourself - how could they claim that theirs provided better education than deaf schools although same those that didn't attend to a deaf school yet? :hmm:

Good question. The obvious answer would be that was what they have been told, and the mainstream did not provide them with sufficient critical thinking skills to figure it out.

Absolutely. Which is one of my major rationales in advocating for a bi-bi atmosphere. The mainstream cannot even adequately educate its hearing students. How in the world can they educate a student with need for accommodation?

I guess with more funding for the schools which is getting harder and harder to obtain.

I find it rather something interesting here....

Suggest you to re-read the first 3-4 pages (and few of those submitted after pages 3-4) where some posts submitted by those mainstreamed H.S. graduates who didn't write well especially grammar which you should spot immediately on. I'm not going to name those posters out of respect.

I would safely say those several posters must be disillusioned claiming that mainstream schools provided (provide) better education. Although I do believe that some mainstream schools did provide better education in general, if not all than some deaf schools did for sure. (think it might be fair enough... sort of)

Let's ask yourself - how could they claim that theirs provided better education than deaf schools although same those that didn't attend to a deaf school yet? :hmm:

Can you clarify the highlighted portion please? :ty:

Yeah, so glad RefFox succeeded in spite of the system; those folks are just too few in numbers.

Yeah, so glad RefFox succeeded in spite of the system; those folks are just too few in numbers.

There were so many smart kids in my high school class that they honored the top 20 instead of the top 10 near the end of our senior year. I was second. I may have a picture of those 20 posing around a piece of abstract art outside the school somewhere.

There must have been something in the water ~25 years ago. :lol:

There were so many smart kids in my high school class that they honored the top 20 instead of the top 10 near the end of our senior year. I was second. I may have a picture of those 20 posing around a piece of abstract art outside the school somewhere.

There must have been something in the water ~25 years ago. :lol:

Ah! Back in the day when educators were educators and students were students! Instead of a classroom full of atomatons!

Ah! You are all scaring me!

I was mainstreamed all the way through and just finished grade 12 in a University prep program with an over 90% average. I am going to University of Toronto next year and I will be using interpreters in school for the first time, and thank god for that! I hate speech reading entire classes! After reading your posts I am not very worried about next year! What if I am not ready!?! What if I wasn't prepared properly? What if I slipped through the cracks and I just don't know it yet!

Having said that and despite my success in mainstream programs I am resentful of not being in a deaf school. I was in a TC program for pre-school and kindergarten and then I started speaking very well so my parents pulled me from it and mainstreamed me. I have always been mad about that. As a result of it I have been spending the last year or so brushing up my ASL in preperation for University, and I have been rediscovering myself as a Deaf individual. I had a right to have my Deaf identity all along but my mainstreaming took that away from me.

Ah! Back in the day when educators were educators and students were students! Instead of a classroom full of atomatons!

Oh? Those days were only 6-10 years ago? :D Oh no, I remember my first day of high school and it was 10 years ago! :eek:

Having said that and despite my success in mainstream programs I am resentful of not being in a deaf school. I was in a TC program for pre-school and kindergarten and then I started speaking very well so my parents pulled me from it and mainstreamed me. I have always been mad about that. As a result of it I have been spending the last year or so brushing up my ASL in preperation for University, and I have been rediscovering myself as a Deaf individual. I had a right to have my Deaf identity all along but my mainstreaming took that away from me.
*nods* Totally! I really do think that even if a kid does well academicly, that parents really need to push split placement deals, to make sure that kids don't fall through the cracks. I really do think a lot of kids who are doing just OK in the mainstream, could prolly do a HELL of a lot better if they attended a Deaf School. We may debate over and over again about which educational placement is THE BEST. However, it is a FACT that overall, it is BEYOND common for dhh (and other classicly disabled students) to be lumped in with the "Ummmm who's President Bush?" types that seem to be LEGION in special ed. And yes, I know that rick48, and some others never experianced that. It's good that there are SOME students who do really well.........BUT wholesale mainstreaming (automaticly assuming that mainstreaming is ALWAYS the best placement) is just SO wrong!

Ah! You are all scaring me!

I was mainstreamed all the way through and just finished grade 12 in a University prep program with an over 90% average. I am going to University of Toronto next year and I will be using interpreters in school for the first time, and thank god for that! I hate speech reading entire classes! After reading your posts I am not very worried about next year! What if I am not ready!?! What if I wasn't prepared properly? What if I slipped through the cracks and I just don't know it yet!

Having said that and despite my success in mainstream programs I am resentful of not being in a deaf school. I was in a TC program for pre-school and kindergarten and then I started speaking very well so my parents pulled me from it and mainstreamed me. I have always been mad about that. As a result of it I have been spending the last year or so brushing up my ASL in preperation for University, and I have been rediscovering myself as a Deaf individual. I had a right to have my Deaf identity all along but my mainstreaming took that away from me.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that!!!

No one scaring me yet.

We aren't trying to scare you, Meggie. We are trying to make you realistically aware of the obstacles that you will face coming from the mainstream so that you will be able to succeed.

We aren't trying to scare you, Meggie. We are trying to make you realistically aware of the obstacles that you will face coming from the mainstream so that you will be able to succeed.

:lol: My parents and my cousins helping along the way. I am sure I gonna be fine.

Back