Deaf schools or mainstream?

Which kind of idicates that the mainstream didn't fully address your needs.

Yes that is true but you learn to deal with it. I dealt it ok. I understand.

Yes that is true but you learn to deal with it. I dealt it ok. I understand.

And that is the whole point. A deaf student should not have to "deal with" a substandard education. They should be getting the same quality of education that their hearing peers get, and it is not happening in the mainstream.

And that is the whole point. A deaf student should not have to "deal with" a substandard education. They should be getting the same quality of education that their hearing peers get, and it is not happening in the mainstream.

I didn't deal with substandard education. I dealt with regular education with accomodations. I was fully mainstream student. Very smart in Math. No Wonder about that.

I didn't deal with substandard education. I dealt with regular education with accomodations. I was fully mainstream student. Very smart in Math. No Wonder about that.

If one has to take remedial courses after graduation from a public high school, one's education has been substandard. Just because it was "regular education" doesn't mean it fully addressed your needs.

I'm glad that you are very smart in math. Where did you place in the placement tests for math?

If one has to take remedial courses after graduation from a public high school, one's education has been substandard. Just because it was "regular education" doesn't mean it fully addressed your needs.

I'm glad that you are very smart in math. Where did you place in the placement tests for math?

just needed few more point to get to where is College Alg.

just needed few more point to get to where is College Alg.

Then, despite the fact that you are very smart in math, your high school did not do a good job of teaching you what you need to know to enter college and do college level algebra...which is a requirement for all college students. That is exactly what I am talking about.

Then, despite the fact that you are very smart in math, your high school did not do a good job of teaching you what you need to know to enter college and do college level algebra...which is a requirement for all college students. That is exactly what I am talking about.

I know that but still. Everyone have limits somewhere. It is obstacle to overcome. We came to accept deafness. I did and i also accepted challenge of college level.

I know that but still. Everyone have limits somewhere. It is obstacle to overcome. We came to accept deafness. I did and i also accepted challenge of college level.

And it is good that you accepted that challenge. The point is, however, that the mainstream environment creates challenges for smart deaf students that would not be there if they were educated properly. Being deaf does not limit the ability to learn. The mainstream, through the way they try to teach deaf students, creates that limit. The eductional system puts obstacles in deaf student's path that should not be there.

And it is good that you accepted that challenge. The point is, however, that the mainstream environment creates challenges for smart deaf students that would not be there if they were educated properly. Being deaf does not limit the ability to learn. The mainstream, through the way they try to teach deaf students, creates that limit. The eductional system puts obstacles in deaf student's path that should not be there.

My teachers did not put limit when I was in classroom. They respect the boundaries that we have and Our high school of whole escambia county is only one continues to have deaf program for us.

My teachers did not put limit when I was in classroom. They respect the boundaries that we have and Our high school of whole escambia county is only one continues to have deaf program for us.

Someone placed some limits somewhere. And those limits are placed my putting deaf children in mainstream classrooms without proper support services. That is why we say that deaf schools and bi-bi education is better for deaf students.

Someone placed some limits somewhere. And those limits are placed my putting deaf children in mainstream classrooms without proper support services. That is why we say that deaf schools and bi-bi education is better for deaf students.

I couldn't stand deaf education. No offense.

And English?

I couldn't stand deaf education. No offense.

Many of my friends who graduated from FSDB went on to have successful careers and posses college degrees. Not all but many. FSDB must have done something right with them.

Many of my friends who graduated from FSDB went on to have successful careers and posses college degrees. Not all but many. FSDB must have done something right with them.

They didn't do for me. Mainstream did.

Bottesini,

I don't know anyone personally that was homeschooled except for few hearing friends, who I knew, did.

Anyway, I'm curious since you were home schooled, have you involved with any sports or clubs to socialize with the kids that you might have lacked of?

Went to any college after that or not yet?

Unfortunately no. My parents were medical missionaries that packed us kids up and travelled from one place to another.

I remember in 6 months time, we were in 4 different countries. My father had the duty of teaching us geography, government and finance. My mother taught me ASL, English, grammar, and math. My grandmother taught us history, reading, writing, speech, and art.

It was fun travelling around but hard to develop friendships. One time we were living in the ghettos of Bombay, India above the clinic where my parents were working. I was about 15 at the time. There was this neighbor who had a deaf girl, she was 14. Anyway we hit it off and I taught her ASL as her parents couldn't afford to send her to a deaf school. My grandmother took her under her wing to teach her the basic necessities. Her parents had a hard time as they were grooming her to work 'the Wall.'

It came time for us to leave and I wanted her to come with us but couldn't. :( I still remember that look on her face when we were leaving.

Anyway, when it came time to attend college, I had my heart set on Gallaudet as I was interested in Philosophy. Unfortuantely when parents are paying for one's college education, they kind if dictate where they would like you to attend.

Last edited:
Byrdie, interesting that your Mom taught you ASL. Is/was she deaf?

They didn't do for me. Mainstream did.

No, Meggie. You have been told that mainstream did for you, but as is evidenced by the need for you to take courses in college at a developmental level to teach you what you were supposed to have been taught in high school, the mainstream obviously did not.

Unfortunately no. My parents were medical missionaries that packed us kids up and travelled from one place to another.

I remember in 6 months time, we were in 4 different countries. My father had the duty of teaching us geography, government and finance. My mother taught me ASL, English, grammar, and math. My grandmother taught us history, reading, writing, speech, and art.

It was fun travelling around but hard to develop friendships. One time we were living in the ghettos of Bombay, India above the clinic where my parents were working. I was about 15 at the time. There was this neighbor who had a deaf girl, she was 14. Anyway we hit it off and I taught her ASL as her parents couldn't afford to send her to a deaf school. My grandmother took her under her wing to teach her the basic necessities. Her parents had a hard time as they were grooming her to work 'the Wall.'

It came time for us to leave and I wanted her to come with us but couldn't. :( I still remember that look on her face when we were leaving.

Anyway, when it came time to attend college, I had my heart set on Gallaudet as I was interested in Philosophy. Unfortuantely when parents are paying for one's college education, they kind if dictate where they would like you to attend.

What an interesting and varied background!

Back