Deaf School or Oral School?

well I went to CFSD today and loved it!!!!

I am glad to hear that. I'd like to know why you loved it. Don't you mind to explain it just a little? Did you bring your cute little girl there? If so, how did she react even though she's still a baby?

@Crazypaul yes I took her with me. The interpreter kept saying how she looked as if she understood everything. Everyone commented on how observant she is. I liked how the classes are small and the kids get the attention they need from the teachers. I liked that there was a teachers aide in everyclass. I also liked the fact that they do both oral and ASL. We don't live in their district so we can't do their early start class but we can drop into a few group play sessions...She can start there as soon as she is 3 if that is what i choose for her.

@Crazypaul yes I took her with me. The interpreter kept saying how she looked as if she understood everything. Everyone commented on how observant she is. I liked how the classes are small and the kids get the attention they need from the teachers. I liked that there was a teachers aide in everyclass. I also liked the fact that they do both oral and ASL. We don't live in their district so we can't do their early start class but we can drop into a few group play sessions...She can start there as soon as she is 3 if that is what i choose for her.

She's observant? At a young age? Must be a natural thing... Nature at its finest. ;)

OMG that would be AMAZING!!!!!! I would strongly strongly reccomend sending her for preschool/kindergarten and maybe even first and second grades, so she gets a solid Deaf Ed base. Deaf ed is kind of underutlized by hoh kids....but it's PERFECT for them. You will NOT find a better educational early intervention program in the mainstream. They'll get speech therapy from a speech therapist who is very experianced with how to teach dhh kids.....and I think b/c of that she will respond VERY WELL to speech therapy, instead of having speech from a clueless mainstream speech therapist. She'll also have the advantage of ASL AND Deaf Ed! Hoh kids CAN benifit from Deaf Ed.

Hello! That seems excellent, nancyj! I didn't know they combined ASL & oral. Is that unique to the early education program or how their curriculum is structured throughout the grades? I wonder if that's the direction bilingual schools are taking.

One thing you might try: we were able to transfer our early intervention services to an out of district school on the basis of language: we wanted an ASL-based parent infant program and language development services. And so we switched what's called catchment areas here to one well over an hour away. It took a bit of discussion, but only because they had no precedent. They had no way to provide ASL services otherwise, so was the logical approach. Maybe you could do the same and begin at csdf now? Between now and 3 is such a critical period for language development -- great time to expose your child to fluent models.

I will look into that GrendelQ, She is in an early start program now but they are teaching her SEE sign.

Hello! That seems excellent, nancyj! I didn't know they combined ASL & oral. Is that unique to the early education program or how their curriculum is structured throughout the grades? I wonder if that's the direction bilingual schools are taking.

Just a heads up - Fremont would be the last place to go oral. When she said that, I understood what she was talking about.

What exactly do you mean? Speech therapy? Or do they use and teach spoken English?

I now see what everybody else is questioning about you.

I'm starting to think I don't believe for a minute that you're deaf or come from a deaf family. Even you wouldn't ask the above question. Cuz if you were, you wouldn't have asked.

I now see what everybody else is questioning about you.

I'm starting to think I don't believe for a minute that you're deaf or come from a deaf family. Even you wouldn't ask the above question. Cuz if you were, you wouldn't have asked.

Why? I didn't go to CSDF. I was mainstreamed. I am not familiar with what CSD looks like right now. I know that the demographics are changing in all Deaf schools. Look at TLC or MSD for example. They are bi-bi, but they use spoken language in the classroom not just in speech therapy. I was wondering if Freemont was starting a program like that. What is offensive about that?

What exactly do you mean? Speech therapy? Or do they use and teach spoken English?

speech adn spoken English are the same. They are using English in the spoken form. No difference between the both.

Back