Deaf School or Oral School?

We have learned about the pitch and sound volume as she is very loud. My older daughter is always saying "Rhy use your inside voice" lol...It embarasses her in public when her little sister is so loud.

We have learned about the pitch and sound volume as she is very loud. My older daughter is always saying "Rhy use your inside voice" lol...It embarasses her in public when her little sister is so loud.

:D YAY!!! A parent who GETS it!!!!! I STILL get yelled at for talking loudly or screeching or whatever..:( ...That is another reason why I'm VERY pro both speech and sign. Speech is awesome but it doesn't 100% equalize dhh kids.....

Well tomorrow is our first drop in play group and parent group at CSDF. Kinda of nervous and excited at the same time. I hope it goes well.

Well tomorrow is our first drop in play group and parent group at CSDF. Kinda of nervous and excited at the same time. I hope it goes well.

I think it will be AWESOME!!!!! You will be SO impressed......the early intervention and early childhood programming through Deaf Schools are AMAZING!!!!!! Keep us updated on what you find!!!!!

I am profoundly deaf and grew up oral and mainstreamed. I advise choosing a deaf school over a hearing one. A mainstreamed deaf child doesn't hear much of what the teacher is saying nor their classmates and this can have a impact on their educational and social developments. I was bored out of my mind in a hearing school and pretty much a social reject because I couldn't easily keep up socially with others during recess - I think in a way it's even harder for a deaf kid who's a girl because girls are much better than boys at being verbally cruel. The boys were nicer to me than the girls who are far more judgmental of others' ability to speak and hear well.

I am late to the discussion and much has been said so I don't need to add my two cents, but I did want to say that this particular post took the words right out of my hands. I never went to deaf school, but always wanted to because of those very reasons. Honestly, speech and all that can be learned later on in life - but you can't as easily learn social skills or recover from excessive bullying from the hearing children. It is more important that her formative years involve happier memories and a social life.

our vistit was great. Rhyanne went to a play group and I did a parent workshop. Very informative, a bit overwhelming but great. They had us playing games that they play with the kids. Was hard for me as a hearing person but worked my way through. CSDF is a very open and friendly school. Everyone there is very accepting and helpful. We will definitetly attend another drop in session.

ok to clarify...It is a voice off school but she will have a class or a specified time with Speach Therapy to help her and any other kids who are oral. But again that is only if she is oral. Right now she just screams no real babbeling yet. Which I think by now she should be babbeling, but she was born a month premature so maybe she will be a late talker. She keeps up with all her other motor skills and is standing and walking while holding on to things.

I was a late talker myself and I'm not a preemie. I didn't speak my first word till I was 3. While I can't guarantee that she will have good speech later on, most strangers can understand what I say to them. Just so you know. :)

our vistit was great. Rhyanne went to a play group and I did a parent workshop. Very informative, a bit overwhelming but great. They had us playing games that they play with the kids. Was hard for me as a hearing person but worked my way through. CSDF is a very open and friendly school. Everyone there is very accepting and helpful. We will definitetly attend another drop in session.

It does take time to adjust as a hearing person.....but I think you're going to be a jillo in a few years!!!!!

I am late to the discussion and much has been said so I don't need to add my two cents, but I did want to say that this particular post took the words right out of my hands. I never went to deaf school, but always wanted to because of those very reasons. Honestly, speech and all that can be learned later on in life - but you can't as easily learn social skills or recover from excessive bullying from the hearing children. It is more important that her formative years involve happier memories and a social life.

Oh, and I missed this earlier.......I think many parents gloss over the social skill aspect of things, or may not remember that the "different" kids were the ones who were really picked on. Social skills are very very important. ...and yet it does seem like being bullied or having poor social skills is the norm among dhh kids.

Back