Deaf School or Oral School?

speech adn spoken English are the same. They are using English in the spoken form. No difference between the both.

I'm sorry, I meant "speech therapy" as in pull out, one on one therapy and "spoken English" as being part of the class.

Why? I didn't go to CSDF. I was mainstreamed. I am not familiar with what CSD looks like right now. I know that the demographics are changing in all Deaf schools. Look at TLC or MSD for example. They are bi-bi, but they use spoken language in the classroom not just in speech therapy. I was wondering if Freemont was starting a program like that. What is offensive about that?

lol @ the use of word "offensive"

Just curious - since my avatar represents me, it says "pain in the ass". Isn't that avatar of yours a puppet?

I now see what everybody else is questioning about you.

I'm starting to think I don't believe for a minute that you're deaf or come from a deaf family. Even you wouldn't ask the above question. Cuz if you were, you wouldn't have asked.

I am thinking the same thing. it is so unusual for me to see like this kind of going on.

Hello! That seems excellent, nancyj! I didn't know they combined ASL & oral. Is that unique to the early education program or how their curriculum is structured throughout the grades? I wonder if that's the direction bilingual schools are taking.

One thing you might try: we were able to transfer our early intervention services to an out of district school on the basis of language: we wanted an ASL-based parent infant program and language development services. And so we switched what's called catchment areas here to one well over an hour away. It took a bit of discussion, but only because they had no precedent. They had no way to provide ASL services otherwise, so was the logical approach. Maybe you could do the same and begin at csdf now? Between now and 3 is such a critical period for language development -- great time to expose your child to fluent models.

If that's the direction that bilingal schools are taking, I think that might actually increase enrollment a bit. I know that some parents have said that while they're not anti ASL, they still would like their kids to have spoken English opperunties.
And yes, Grendel a lot of placement decisions are very politicl....you have to know how to use the system. A lot of parents aren't even told about the option of a Deaf School placement.....you know, they're just told that "oh all there is available is the traditional dhh public school programs.

If that's the direction that bilingal schools are taking, I think that might actually increase enrollment a bit. I know that some parents have said that while they're not anti ASL, they still would like their kids to have spoken English opperunties.
And yes, Grendel a lot of placement decisions are very politicl....you have to know how to use the system. A lot of parents aren't even told about the option of a Deaf School placement.....you know, they're just told that "oh all there is available is the traditional dhh public school programs.

As much I think having speech skills can be useful but it seems like it still takes priority over ASL. Like suppose the programs dont offer any speech services, would the parents be willing to allow their children be bilingual in ASL and English WITHOUT speech skills? In my honest opinion...no. I think they would say, "Screw that program..I would find an oral only program over that."

As much I think having speech skills can be useful but it seems like it still takes priority over ASL. Like suppose the programs dont offer any speech services, would the parents be willing to allow their children be bilingual in ASL and English WITHOUT speech skills? In my honest opinion...no. I think they would say, "Screw that program..I would find an oral only program over that."

Oh yeah I agree. When I advocate for speech, I mean to do so in a context where there's good quality spoken language services, but ALSO ASL.
It would be like me advocating for say Braille for low vision kids, but ALSO encouraging large print and other low vision aids. Virtually all kids can stronly benifit from a mix of approaches.

Yeah, I think most likely they would.

So what can we do about it? Can Deaf educators make Deaf schools more appealing to hearing parents so that more deaf kids will get the opportunity to have ASL?

Yeah, I think most likely they would.

So what can we do about it? Can Deaf educators make Deaf schools more appealing to hearing parents so that more deaf kids will get the opportunity to have ASL?

By making them more oralism. That's seems to be the only way to get them to be more appealing to these parents.

Hearing parents ALWAYS want speech speech while deaf parents tend to want FULL access to language without any restrictions.

By making them more oralism. That's seems to be the only way to get them to be more appealing to these parents.

Hearing parents ALWAYS want speech speech while deaf parents tend to want FULL access to language without any restrictions.

Then how come residental enrollment at Clarke is dwindling? You would imagine that those hearing parents would have fought to move to Noho or put their older kid into the res program there.

Then how come residental enrollment at Clarke is dwindling? You would imagine that those hearing parents would have fought to move to Noho or put their older kid into the res program there.

I thought Clark's goal was to mainstream the kids 100% of the time?

I thought Clark's goal was to mainstream the kids 100% of the time?

Yes, but at least it has a K-8 program, as oppossed to the preschools/early intervention systems. Do you mean mainstream them ASAP? They DO have that philosphy....and have had that for years and years sadly. They don't reconize that mainstreaming is no longer INNOVTIVE

Why? I didn't go to CSDF. I was mainstreamed. I am not familiar with what CSD looks like right now. I know that the demographics are changing in all Deaf schools. Look at TLC or MSD for example. They are bi-bi, but they use spoken language in the classroom not just in speech therapy. I was wondering if Freemont was starting a program like that. What is offensive about that?

Cant speak for msd, but just to clarify, TLC doesn't use spoken language in the regular classrooms: there's just a handful of kids in the auditory access classes for part of the day. The majority of the day is voices off for those kids just as it is voices off for most of the students there throughout the day.

Cant speak for msd, but just to clarify, TLC doesn't use spoken language in the regular classrooms: there's just a handful of kids in the auditory access classes for part of the day. The majority of the day is voices off for those kids just as it is voices off for most of the students there throughout the day.

And that is how it should be....... There should be formal classes and of course good supplemental therapy for hoh kids, and kids who may need Clarke style intervetnion/therapy offered at Schools for the Deaf.

ok to clarify...It is a voice off school but she will have a class or a specified time with Speach Therapy to help her and any other kids who are oral. But again that is only if she is oral. Right now she just screams no real babbeling yet. Which I think by now she should be babbeling, but she was born a month premature so maybe she will be a late talker. She keeps up with all her other motor skills and is standing and walking while holding on to things.

ok to clarify...It is a voice off school but she will have a class or a specified time with Speach Therapy to help her and any other kids who are oral. But again that is only if she is oral. Right now she just screams no real babbeling yet. Which I think by now she should be babbeling, but she was born a month premature so maybe she will be a late talker. She keeps up with all her other motor skills and is standing and walking while holding on to things.

Thats what I thought, thanks for clarifying. :)

Ooooooo.......in this case that's even better that you're opting for ASL too!!!
It does appear that you're aware of this, but spoken language issues are NOT exclusive to dhh kids. There is a risk she may have spoken langauge issues....so in that case it would be awesome for her to ALSO have ASL. I know hearing kids who use ASL due to things like apraxia,(there's even a formal program at St. Rita's), tracheostomies and cerebal palsy. I think too that the fact that she'll have access to a speech therapist who is experianced with dhh kids, will really help her!!!! Most public school speech therapists don't have a lot of experiance in dealing with teaching dhh kids....and the thing is....the only thing you really have to worry about is the spoken LANGAUGE. ...Most dhh kids with oral abilty still have issues with pitch/volumne/ deaf voice and other mechnanicals.

Back