deaf people should get ALONG with hearing people

I don't know if it's me but I find most hearing people to be more friendly than deaf people. :dunno:

P.S. Don't attack me for saying that.

You are right, Alex!
I used to be "one" of em! (when i was real young!)

Actually, I think it was more the fact that the older I get the less things like this bother me. As for adapting, I had to "adapt" since I was very young and thus never really experience being uncomfortable like others. In other words, this was the way it was going to be...

And perhaps just your innate personality traits, as well. But I will agree that age has a mellowing effect. Or at least one that allows us to prioritize those things that are important.

Some deaf people do ask that, but most of deaf people misunderstand that and think they should be owed for everything they have done.

Kinda silly, don't you agree?

In that situation, yes, I would agree that it is a silly attitude. It just isn't one I encounter very often.

I apologized if I bump this old thread for out of randomness. It seems most AD'ers must be lucky or something. My experience is quite opposite, so personally, I found Deaf people is more friendly-- to me. :dunno: But, of course, I do have my hearing friends and they're all awesome buddies. :)

:hmm: id read this thread later today then id get back, i didnt see this thread developing before, too busy as usual, well busy with the toilet joke recently:giggle:

In the real world-how many "deaf/Deaf/DEAF" people does one interact with? Excluding Alldeaf.com

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

In the real world-how many "deaf/Deaf/DEAF" people does one interact with? Excluding Alldeaf.com

I apologized no idea please repost explain me :) tell me exactly about!

Constantly? Three. Occasionally? More. You?

When I first started going to deaf functions (BBQ, club, etc.). it was my deaf friends who 'warned' me that deafies can be quite rude if they think your signing is not 'good enough' .. and they were right .. and they were wrong. I have had a few deafies blow me off after they ask me questions and I could not answer fast enough or 'correctly' enough. But I have met many more deafies (from teens to senior citizens) who have made me feel very welcome, have patience when I fall behind in a conversation and offer to sign slowly (especially fingerspelling) or teach me signs I don't recognize.

I think whenever we meet new people we should be friendly and open to what they have to offer us and not be concerned or too quick to judge what kind of 'package' that person comes in. Just because someone has been burned by a hearie/deafie in the past, does not mean they need to start fires with others they meet in the future. ;-)

And you have two deaf brothers! You must interact with them, yes?

Bottesini: I have mentioned this before- excluding the persons at Cdn Hearing Society- a few years ago---none!

I have asked a number of persons at various functions over the years-how many deaf/Deaf/DEAF persons they knew personally- so far no one has met a "deaf "person-excluding me..

I know there is Bob Rumball Centre here in Toronto that has "deaf seniors" - so far I haven't "interacted".

How people out of 43,000 members- here are Bilateral DEAF?

Not quite Bottesini: I am only one that was Bilateral DEAF. My two other brothers are in the profound category. Due to recent changes in OHIP coverage re Cochlear Implants one now has the same Implant that I have. The other one lives in Michigan where Social Security(whatever the correct name is) rules says No Implant yet-till further "loss". At the present no hurry to get one. Up to him, of course. Still uses a Hearing Aid as of a week ago.
Again I became bilateral DEAF in December 2006

Last edited:
I've had my ups and downs with both hearies and deafies...I seem to get along with both within reason...My personal interaction is moreso with hearing than deafies, tho'.

I try to get along with everyone. I don't, however, exert the same amount of effort on everyone.

I get along with anyone except for audists.

I try to get along with everyone. I don't, however, exert the same amount of effort on everyone.

Some people are harder to get along with. I can think of a certain poster who's banned now (I won't mention her name) who's infamous for arguing about everything under the sun. If a deaf person says the moon is white, she'll argue about why it's not really white.

If you can get along with her, my hats are off to you.

Back