deaf people should get ALONG with hearing people

It's a two way street as far as I'm concerned. If a hearie is rude to me and doesn't acknowledge that I'm even talking to them ( trying at least ) well they can forget about me being nice to them.

If they are nice to me and understand that I'm Deaf...and ONLY Deaf there are no issues. Its when I'm judged in other ways and all of you know what I'm talking about there that brings out my bad side.

Until then I'll just keep to myself. It's served me well. I do not talk to hearies that end up ruining my day because of the fact that they don't know how to talk to me except in baby talk...

Re post #150. I know very well what DEAF means= SILENCE. I have continuously experienced that fact since December 20, 2006. That is why I started the process Re Cochlear Implant-Sunnybrook/Toronto in early Feb/ 2007. Implanted July 12, 2007.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Re post #150. I know very well what DEAF means= SILENCE. I have continuously experienced that fact since December 20, 2006. That is why I started the process Re Cochlear Implant-Sunnybrook/Toronto in early Feb/ 2007. Implanted July 12, 2007.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

"DEAF" means that you feel the need to scream.

If you had been in Gallaudet University, you would know that the "big D" is meant for us, Deafies, who sign ASL, not SEE.

I grew up with hearing family members and was mainstreamed in both elementary and high schools (no ASL, just oral-only method). I had struggled trying to understand hearing people in the hearing society. It had and still is hard for me to understand what they are saying.

If you want to learn how to sign properly the right way like all Deafies, then we will open our arms wide for you and applaud you for trying to sign ASL. But if you refuse to learn how to sign ASL, then that is your business. All you have to do is move on. Okay? :)

What an attitude! Why does she have to be the one to move on!! And why do HOH people need to know how to speak like all Deafies? Do all Deafies know how to speak every language? I am HOH and I tried to join the deaf community in college and because I did not know any ASL I was not welcome. I think it is really a shame that there is prejudice because a person does not speak a your 'language'. You said you're a Native American, did you forget your people where told to move on too ?

What an attitude! Why does she have to be the one to move on!! And why do HOH people need to know how to speak like all Deafies? Do all Deafies know how to speak every language? I am HOH and I tried to join the deaf community in college and because I did not know any ASL I was not welcome. I think it is really a shame that there is prejudice because a person does not speak a your 'language'. You said you're a Native American, did you forget your people where told to move on too ?

I think I know what Bebobang meant...

She meant that if one looks down on ASL and refuses to learn it, the Deaf commmunity wouldnt accept that person. Why should anyone accept someone who looks down on their way of life? I sure wouldnt.

That's uncalled for. (The bolded.) Everyone's entitled to feel how they do about sign, etc., but to bring someone's nationality/heritage into this is entirely unnecessary.

I think I know what Bebobang meant...

She meant that if one looks down on ASL and refuses to learn it, the Deaf commmunity wouldnt accept that person. Why should anyone accept someone who looks down on their way of life? I sure wouldnt.

Just because a person does not want to learn ASL does not mean they're looking down at your way of life. It was more the other way around, I was being looked down at for not knowing ASL when I was trying to a part of the deaf community in collage. I knew they knew how to read and write we could had communicate that way. I did not know enough ASL to use it. I think people are being on the defense too much

Just because a person does not want to learn ASL does not mean they're looking down at your way of life. It was more the other way around, I was being looked down at for not knowing ASL when I was trying to a part of the deaf community in collage. I knew they knew how to read and write we could had communicate that way. I did not know enough ASL to use it. I think people are being on the defense too much

First of all, when I was not allowed to use ASL or to learned ASL years ago at both elementary and high school. I had deaf classmates who talked but it is hard for us to understand each other. That is why we wanted to learn ASL. After I graduated from high school, I just went to the Deaf church where the Deaf pastor taught the hearing students and me as a deaf person to learn ASL. It does open a lot of doors for me to communicate in ASL much better than communicating talking and read lips. As for writing down on paper and pen, it might help but still it is a lot better signing this way. Beside, this is the Deaf Culture way. Eh?

Just because a person does not want to learn ASL does not mean they're looking down at your way of life. It was more the other way around, I was being looked down at for not knowing ASL when I was trying to a part of the deaf community in collage. I knew they knew how to read and write we could had communicate that way. I did not know enough ASL to use it. I think people are being on the defense too much.

No.

I am sure we know those D/deaf people don't always look down on another deaf people for not know ASL. But, we only have the main problem is a such attitude that is no desire of learning ASL, critiquing sign languages, and to look down on our lifestyle. If someone refuses for whatever poor reason is, then it is not our business... All after, it is their choice. How can we communicate with them if they don't want to know ASL? Text'ing and writing may help, but not always in that case. But, no one force you to learn ASL. It is up to you and them, really.

I am not going to waste my time if they don't want to communicate with me if he or she refuses to learning ASL. Why should I? Moving on is only one way...

Flash news: Nowhere in Bebonang's post said you or someone must to learn ASL. It is his or her choice as it is their business.

Last edited:

That's right.

Like hearing people, there are different kinds of deaf people too.

Some deaf people prefer SEE, some prefer ASL, some prefer PSE, etc.

Years ago, a few of my deaf friends were kicked out of a deaf club because they signed SEE. The deaf club president said that it's a deaf club and ASL is expected. Since my friends didn't sign ASL, they got kicked out.

I've been rejected by others because of my signing skills and my involvement with Deaf Culture. I've even seen others who look like they're deeply involved with Deaf Culture get rejected by others who claim they're deeply involved with Deaf Culture.

At the end, they're all deaf... they need to learn to accept it at that.

At the end, they're all deaf... they need to learn to accept it at that.

It's sad when deaf excludes deaf. In the end, so many people like to think they're superior to others in another group - even when they already are linked by a common factor.

It's sad when deaf excludes deaf. In the end, so many people like to think they're superior to others in another group - even when they already are linked by a common factor.

Human nature, too bad to- it happens in all groups, you aren't blind the same, you aren't educated the same, you aren't dressing the same... all BS!

I've been thinking ("A dangerous pastime." "I know" ~Disney's B&tB)

Any time I can write a sentence and the word 'deaf' could be replaced by 'people' (without needing to allude to hearing status/ not a hearing activity)... is it 'audist/reverse audist' to use that (deaf) as the subject of the sentence?

IE: Deaf using (whatever)
vs
People using (whatever)

Back