deaf people should get ALONG with hearing people

Perhaps the fact that you experience that uncomfortable feeling as a result of your hearing loss allowed you to more easily adapt?

Actually, I think it was more the fact that the older I get the less things like this bother me. As for adapting, I had to "adapt" since I was very young and thus never really experience being uncomfortable like others. In other words, this was the way it was going to be...

Absolutely. And I've never met a deaf person yet that wasn't willing to pay their dues. All they ask is for a level playing field.

Some deaf people do ask that, but most of deaf people misunderstand that and think they should be owed for everything they have done.

Kinda silly, don't you agree?

I guess you are hearing.... You have no respect for us deafies... why should you come in here.... you have no right to insult us...... so be it... You have NO right to judge us deafies.. SHADDUP...

My. You're so quick to jump the gun without using your logical, critical thinking skills.

That just shows the first poster of this thread is right. Deaf people really need to work hard on their people skills or they'll turn into fat, greasy, miserable mini-Jane-Fernandesies!

Don't be a Jane!

You know, there's always going to have some few bad apples in both worlds but you know what?

That shouldn't keep us from trying to be rude to each other whether we're hearing or deaf. I have known some deaf people who have took so much stride into them that they would shut the rest of others out. That is not even good.

I think it would be better that way if both worlds were able to try to work it out together but unfortunately, that is a wishful thinking because communication barriers will always till be there. Yes, the communication barrier is still there but with the technology we have now, it has helped a lot better. It doesn't give us the right to be rude to each other just because the other party is ignorant or whatever it is.

Basically, I think it is how you read their attitude towards you regarding of their hearing or deafness. Sometime it is rude, sometime it isn't. It just depends on how the situation is. But, in general, yes there are rude hearing people just as much as we do have rude deaf people as well. There are polite folks out there as well. It is just how we acquire it one way or other.

Some deaf people do ask that, but most of deaf people misunderstand that and think they should be owed for everything they have done.

Kinda silly, don't you agree?

I know some fat Deaf bitches who stay home all the time while collecting SSI and never working. They expect the whole fucking world owes them just because their parents ruined their adapting and ability for independent living by feeding them with a silver spoon!

True and it applies any situation where the "language" is not one in which one is comfortable. An example my wife (who is hearing) was discombobulated in Cancun on our Honeymoon years ago. Sure there were those who spoke English but Spanish was the language of the day. It was funny in a way as I was totally comfortable in the environment while not knowing much Spanish.

It's funny you used that example. My husband and I experienced this too on holiday in France. He panicked because he couldn't speak the language but I on the other hand was pretty relaxed. I was confident that I would find a way to get by even though my French wasn't that good. Maybe when we are used to negotiating with the hearing world we become more confident when we are out of water in other situations too?

I don't think that it's entirely the way we dress that deaf people have to think about. It's the way deaf people act.

Take metrosexuals for example. The way they dress would be perceived as making them GLBT. Why? It's a stereotype that people have of metrosexuals. Well, I don't always see it that way. I always observe by how they act... not how they dress. For me, it's "too much" or "too little" that's a problem.

If you're clean and don't smell bad, then you're fine. If you're filthy or have horrible smell due to lack of cleaning yourself, you need help. If you're clean, but too dressed up and wearing too much perfume or cologne... you need help.

My. You're so quick to jump the gun without using your logical, critical thinking skills.

That just shows the first poster of this thread is right. Deaf people really need to work hard on their people skills or they'll turn into fat, greasy, miserable mini-Jane-Fernandesies!

Don't be a Jane!

Actually there have been a lot of Janes long before Ms. Fernandes became assoicated with how some deaf people behave.

We could keep trying to convince them that what they are doing is wrong but they're like rocks; stubborn and refusing to budge. That's the way some deaf people are like.

I know some fat Deaf bitches who stay home all the time while collecting SSI and never working. They expect the whole fucking world owes them just because their parents ruined their adapting and ability for independent living by feeding them with a silver spoon!

Yea, most Deaf people are like that. But I didn't choose to be on SSI. I was forced to live on it only because if i don't get SSI, I would be throwing away my financial support for RIT, according to the government.

But don't worry when I graduate, I plan to kiss goodbye to SSI because I would prefer to find a job.

It's funny you used that example. My husband and I experienced this too on holiday in France. He panicked because he couldn't speak the language but I on the other hand was pretty relaxed. I was confident that I would find a way to get by even though my French wasn't that good. Maybe when we are used to negotiating with the hearing world we become more confident when we are out of water in other situations too?

As they say "BINGO"! :D Yep, I totally agree with you. I think you know that even hearing people pickup useful body language along with words to facilitate decent communication. I have an easier time than most hearing when talking with those that English is their second or third language. What great irony here!!!

I only beef with my wife ;) is that she has no clue how to use her body language to communicate. I mean she is quite awful with some of the gestures she comes up with and expects me to understand them. My near 10 year old son is way ahead of her there. I'm amazed at how well he can get something across to me when my CI is off (my lipreading skills has gone south :( ).

Yea, most Deaf people are like that. But I didn't choose to be on SSI. I was forced to live on it only because if i don't get SSI, I would be throwing away my financial support for RIT, according to the government.

But don't worry when I graduate, I plan to kiss goodbye to SSI because I would prefer to find a job.

You just scored points with me! I get what you mean.. I wan't to be off SSI or SSDI as soon as I finish school.

Indeed! I never understood the mentality.

Agreed. I have long struggled with their mentality. I'm reviled by some deaf people in Rochester because they think I don't "get it." :roll:

Get what? That they think they're right that they expect a lot from the hearing community so they have to act like arses?

Yeah, great logic they've got going on there.

well, i believe hearing and deaf people have difficulty communicate. They dont know how to say anything. I remembered when i asked Human Resource for job application and they were unfriendly to me. Three times i was told that I point to my ear and shake my head. I signed write and they didnt understand i said.. Oh my gawk.. I am awared that hearing and deaf ppls are very uncomfortable they do not get along well..

Yeah, it is unfortuate that most of the deaf people we know don't understand why we need SSI....

SSI is only there as a temporary crutch to help the disabled and Deaf to cover the cost of living until they get a better paying job.

It's the lazy ones that pisses me off, those party animal Deafies who never go work and depend on SSI all the time..

Sad thing is, there was this Deaf woman who never worked at all her whole life. She always had and used SSI. Once she became of age to retire, guess what happened?

She now get under 75 dollars a month from SSI! Yes, less than seventy five dollars per month from SSI!

So, the party animals are going to be homeless, dirty animals by the time they "retire".

The smart ones are the ones who are getting an education and trying to get off SSI/SSDI.

I think we should try to educate hearing people about deaf people and culture. As long as they respect us, if not, just leave them alone. Today I learned my oldest sister hurt me greatly and she has NO respect for our culture. She thinks that being deaf is just an excuse. Of course, we have to work hard to find a job, to stand up for ourselves and etc, but that is not easy to be deaf. I learned that I am starting to lose my respect for my oldest sister. I am just hurt but I am grateful that my parents accept who I am. I told them that being deaf is ONE of my greatest blessings. I just love being deaf and I m not ashamed of being deaf. My parents agree. My mom is just a wonderful lady and she supports me in every way. I admire her for that.

We should try to educate them, and it is not their fault not knowing about our culture. IF they don't respect us, so be it. :rl:

It's the lazy ones that pisses me off, those party animal Deafies who never go

You get people like that in every "disadvantaged" group, whether hearing or deaf. I'm not defending them as such, it's just the reality.

SSI is only there as a temporary crutch to help the disabled and Deaf to cover the cost of living until they get a better paying job.

It's the lazy ones that pisses me off, those party animal Deafies who never go work and depend on SSI all the time..

Sad thing is, there was this Deaf woman who never worked at all her whole life. She always had and used SSI. Once she became of age to retire, guess what happened?

She now get under 75 dollars a month from SSI! Yes, less than seventy five dollars per month from SSI!

So, the party animals are going to be homeless, dirty animals by the time they "retire".

The smart ones are the ones who are getting an education and trying to get off SSI/SSDI.

Geez. That old woman should just get a job at a grocery store!

Exactly, the party animals think SSI is easy money to fall back on. What they do not realize that the amount of money SSI gives them is not enough to cover EVERYTHING at once!

And you and I, my friend are two of the smart deaf people who are getting an education and trying to get off. Even kids come up to me and say, "I graduated from RIT/Galladuet! Do you want to know what I tell them everytime I hear that? I tell them this: "Great! Now show to me and the rest of the world that you are worth every word they wrote on that diploma!" They gasped and said nothing.

I think we should try to educate hearing people about deaf people and culture. As long as they respect us, if not, just leave them alone. Today I learned my oldest sister hurt me greatly and she has NO respect for our culture. She thinks that being deaf is just an excuse. Of course, we have to work hard to find a job, to stand up for ourselves and etc, but that is not easy to be deaf. I learned that I am starting to lose my respect for my oldest sister. I am just hurt but I am grateful that my parents accept who I am. I told them that being deaf is ONE of my greatest blessings. I just love being deaf and I m not ashamed of being deaf. My parents agree. My mom is just a wonderful lady and she supports me in every way. I admire her for that.

We should try to educate them, and it is not their fault not knowing about our culture. IF they don't respect us, so be it. :rl:

I'm sorry about your sister, but I'm sure she had a legitimate reason to feel that way (feel disconnected from the deaf culture) but no offense, to some degree I agree with your sister. Let's be frank, how would you feel about how some deaf people are waving in your face and act like being immature and deceitful is the right way to get your attention? I know I wouldn't want to be around that person because he or she is setting a bad example for the hearing people to see. When a hearing person see a deaf person act that way, they go, "ew, that person has no good manners, I don't want to befriend him." How would you feel?

Back