Deaf, oral deaf or HOH and Late deaf

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

A "fact" which would be more "interesting" and "accurate" except that there are far more people (1000:1) who have "hearing loss" which makes them audiologically "hard of hearing" and thus "candidates" for "hearing aids" but not "CI".

Also your statement indicates you clearly haven't done a lot of "reading" or "research" on the "impact" that hearing aids have/had on those who "have hearing loss" in terms of "culture", "language", "sociology", "employment", and any other number of "facets of life".

It's also "important" to "remember" that "percentage wise" only a small percentage of "hard of hearing" or "deaf" people are "suitable" to "receive" a "CI". As such - HAs have actually had a much more wide reaching effect and impact percentage wise than CIs.

(Btw - look, I can randomly use "quotes" too !!)

But it's so scary! :-o

A "fact" which would be more "interesting" and "accurate" except that there are far more people (1000:1) who have "hearing loss" which makes them audiologically "hard of hearing" and thus "candidates" for "hearing aids" but not "CI".

Also your statement indicates you clearly haven't done a lot of "reading" or "research" on the "impact" that hearing aids have/had on those who "have hearing loss" in terms of "culture", "language", "sociology", "employment", and any other number of "facets of life".

It's also "important" to "remember" that "percentage wise" only a small percentage of "hard of hearing" or "deaf" people are "suitable" to "receive" a "CI". As such - HAs have actually had a much more wide reaching effect and impact percentage wise than CIs.

(Btw - look, I can randomly use "quotes" too !!)

You owe me a new monitor lady!!!!!!!
And there are audilogically deaf people who benfit from HAs you know.

It was time to clean your monitor anyway ;)

Yup, I know plently of audiologically deaf who are HA users.

It was pointed way back in the 90s re Cochlear Implants has had an effect on the "Deaf community" vs Hearing Aids.

The DEAF as such would not benefit from Hearing Aids- assuming "loss in excess 105 DB" but might/can benefit IF SUITABLE to a Cochlear Implant. This why Harlan Lane et al claimed CI were "instruments of genocide to the Deaf community". That claim was never made re Hearing aids which only "increase sound". aside: my direct experience with my Phonak since the mid 60s till December 20, 2006- the day I became bilateral DEAF.

To me DEAFness-one doesn't HEAR anything -EVEN with a Hearing aid. aside my direct experience.

It appears the inclusion of "audiological hearing problems are now classified as "deaf". Presumably to increase numbers. Deaf Militants- math?

As for how many DEAF adults were reviewed at Sunnybrook/Toronto since 1984- 3000 with 1000 suitable for Implantation. Of that group 18 -unfortunately the Implants were unsuccessful. statistics- last year patients meeting.

Another discussion in Sociology

Ban DrPhil the Hater!

It appears the inclusion of "audiological hearing problems are now classified as "deaf". Presumably to increase numbers. Deaf Militants- math?

Another discussion in Sociology
:wtf:
WOW! YOU REALLY ARE THAT DENSE? YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!.. I and others have explained the difference multiple times to you. You are a HATER. you, like so many other hearies are bigoted and continue to spread your hatred of ASL and Deaf culture to promote Audism, Oralism and anti sign language bias. You are a sad TROLL who should quit posting here! You obviously don't care that we have been fighting your discriminatory views of deafness for hundreds of years...
We are not Deaf Militants, We are Culturally Deaf and have Deaf pride!!! Go on any Culture forum say an African American forum and tell them they need to act White and bleach their skin and hair and not respect their culture and that Kwanza, Ethnic dress music and customs should be banned etc. Because if we are all the same and are not minorities then life will be easier and better for all! Furk You DrPhil!!! you can kiss my :booty: THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE SAYING WHEN YOU ACCUSE US OF BEING DEAF MILITANTS AND WANTING TO PROTECT OUR CULTURE AND WAY OF LIFE AND LANGUAGE!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

You are hating because you cannot accept your own hearing loss obviously. You appear to come across here as severely depressed and angry person...

If it was not for needing to constantly protect other people who read this forum from your constant misinformation I would put you on my ignore list... Personally I am reporting you for trolling and encourage others to do the same and insist the moderators Ban you from AllDeaf.:rl:

A simple search of AD reveals 392 (THREE HUNDRED AND NINETY TWO) posts that you use the term deaf militants in referring to us "The Deaf"

It was pointed way back in the 90s re Cochlear Implants has had an effect on the "Deaf community" vs Hearing Aids.

The DEAF as such would not benefit from Hearing Aids- assuming "loss in excess 105 DB" but might/can benefit IF SUITABLE to a Cochlear Implant. This why Harlan Lane et al claimed CI were "instruments of genocide to the Deaf community". That claim was never made re Hearing aids which only "increase sound". aside: my direct experience with my Phonak since the mid 60s till December 20, 2006- the day I became bilateral DEAF.

It's true that CI did have an effect on the Deaf Community when it first became widespread in the 90's. It's not because of CI vs HA. The reason Harlan Lane stated that it is a genocide to the Deaf community is because a lot of CI recipients back then perceived it as a "cure" for hearing loss. Little they were under-educated about it in general. It is a genocide because they would drop the attitude of "Hey, I can hear. I don't need to use sign language. I'm perfect now" only to realize that they still need the sign language to further their advancement. That's why I emphasize that even if you're a CI recipient, you still need to have the attitude and mentality of being Deaf because you still are deaf no matter what.

Deaf Militants, really? I'm curious how did you get to come up with that?

To follow up on joliee77's comments, it was not the CI that was at issue, it was the hearing medical professionals and ci companies approach to marketing an promoting the CI that enraged the Deaf community.
Main issues were
CI will cure deafness
CI is like normal hearing
Downplaying the risks of invasive and elective surgical proceedures
For CI to be effective, you must not use sign language with a person who has a CI or when using one
CI implantation of infants and children and probhibiting the use of ASL.

The latter 2 points are the exact same argument Oralists and Audists have ust for the last 200 years... yeat 200 years of Deaf testimony, life experience and culture have proven this to be a lie and NOT in the best intrest of those who are deqaf

Isn't the name of this forum AllDeaf.com. I am still DEAF.

From my direct experience: MY Implant does NOT cure DEAFness- real easy to test just disconnect- real quiet.
I do NOT have normal hearing with my Implant.
The surgeon explained the risks of the operation using a computer screen. That was 5 years ago. I easily survived-went swimming 2 weeks after the operation.
Whether ones knows/learns ASL et al has absolutely NO bearing on the operation of an Implant.

As for babies/children re Implantation-no experience

To the best of my knowledge Cochlear Implants were NOT around 200 years ago. nor were Hearing Aids-either

As for the supposition re SOME Deaf person re ASL et al-no comment. One's choice in life-just like being_Voice off!
Whether a DEAF person "accepts deafness as culture"- sociological supposition - is one's choice. Which is a separate "issue" if one "considers Cochlear implant". It is correct -NOT everyone can use an Implant. Thus the "rejection rate". aside: Sunnybrook/Toronto-2000 out of 3000 -since 1984 till last year. Patients meeting last year. Are actual facts irrelevant?

Not sure what the term " deaf attitude/mentality" encompasses?

At the moment still bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006.

As for term" deaf Militants" could there be any here?

More discussion "culture-Sociology".

I would not mind telling other people that my friend used to have a deaf ferret. I would feel weird telling them DEAF ferret. People will wonder why I need to mention that the ferret is DEAF!!!

From my direct experience: MY Implant does NOT cure DEAFness- real easy to test just disconnect- real quiet.
The surgeon explained the risks of the operation using a computer screen. That was 5 years ago. I easily survived-went swimming 2 weeks after the operation.
Whether ones knows/learns ASL et al has absolutely NO bearing on the operation of an Implant.

To the best of my knowledge Cochlear Implants were NOT around 200 years ago. nor were Hearing Aids-either

As for the supposition re SOME Deaf person re ASL et al-no comment. One's choice in life-just like being_Voice off!
Whether a DEAF person "accepts deafness as culture"- sociological supposition - is one's choice. Which is a separate "issue" if one "considers Cochlear implant". It is correct -NOT everyone can use an Implant. Thus the "rejection rate". aside: Sunnybrook/Toronto-2000 out of 3000 -since 1984 till last year. Patients meeting last year. Are actual facts irrelevant?

I will refer to my signature line from now on. You just don't get it and I cannot even make sense out of this rambling you posted...
Also, I am sure no one here gives a rats a$$ how many people did or did not get a CI at Sunnybrook..:roll:

By the way, bluntness in communication is another characteristic of Deaf Culture and you have worn out my patience of censoring my comments for hearies...

Frisky asked a valid question, creating divisions within our culture just invites hostility, so one should officially identify themselves as deaf - period! The various subgroups mentioned above seem to pertain to personality, express yourself as you want, one is not over the other. Or are we going to ask Alex to divide this site to All(Deaf, oral deaf, HOH, Late deaf, etc).com?

I can see there are four groups with same issue of hearing loss but they all have culture clash.

how funny is that? :ugh3:

I think most of us recognize there are cultural differences across all groups of people. At the same time many of these groups clash as you say, because of differences in their culture. Knowing this helps to see the big picture, and it becomes quite apparent there is nothing surprising of the fact you mention.

If you were to break it down in detail, one of the major factors that causes theses "clashes"is differences in communication. For example; one signs, another speaks orally, one reads and writes fluently, another can't fully comprehend a written language, while another can't write fluently. Mix it all up and you got yourself a bunch of miscommunication.

The issue is only one of the mentioned groups is a culture. Deaf with a capital D is a culture, oral, hard of hearing, hearing impaired late deafened etc are also just descriptions of a person, or their communication method

Deaf is the same as identifying any other cultural group with a unique language, history, customs etc. French, Italian, Kenyan etc

Please inappropriate not respect!! serious that is why Don`t be too much" stay out watch!! be don`t talk again over advise no more next time!!

Don`t silly posts! they upset! respect to cultures deaf!

Unfortunately Stop it again obsessive follow on posts please! next times please!

AD member pm to tell to lock thread or continue thread argue very serious risk

I am hand off!

We all are DEAF not by choice because we didn't ask to be deaf. Deafness is given to us whether you look at it as a purpose or part of it is to become your own identity. I wasn't saying that your implant is a cure. We all know that. What I was saying that it is the attitude of many under-informed medical community whom thinks the implant is a magical tool that makes everything a lot better. Yes, it does help for many that needs it but I was expanding the issue of how one perceives it in general by dropping their deaf identity when the CI comes in picture.

Of course, When one uses ASL or not does not have a bearing on the implant. What it does is have an effect on the culture clash with various communication mode. CI just happens to be part of it because it is a tool that one thinks of it differently.

As for ENT doctors being "under informed"- not in my experience. The ENT clinic that I was "involved" is part of a teaching hospital here in Toronto- St Michaels Hospital. As whether other ENT doctors around the world fall in the classification-"under informed"-no idea.Only in certain circles?

I am not sure when I supposedly assumed a "deaf identity" -when I became deaf in right ear-February 19, 1992 but still could use my Phonak aid OR December 20, 2006 when I became bilateral-DEAF?
What is the perimeters of "deaf identity"- use of ASL et al or Stop using one's voice?
Approved by deaf Militants?

another intermural sociological exercise- "deaf culture."

I wonder if the Vampire board people will take you back ....

I still a member of VampireFreaks.com.

Anij you can be a member if you wish. Free.

I understand there were/ are deaf "skinheads" from London U K in a group of "white power" goths.- in Vampire Freaks.com. As I recall back about 5 years ago.

Whether this still exists today-no idea. No interest per se.

A new project: is "dense" a unknown neurological condition?

Help on the way: Prof SKY will check out the "gnostic files of Google". Pays to have friends in "high places".

Await with interest a report on her findings.

A new project: is "dense" a unknown neurological condition?

Help on the way: Prof SKY will check out the "gnostic files of Google". Pays to have friends in "high places".

Await with interest a report on her findings.

What are you talking about? "Dense" as in "dense tissue" is often used in medicine.

Back