Deaf infants getting cochlear implants younger than ever

Arguments like these....

only makes me want to move to denmark more and more...

I can agree. this is getting too repetative since one poster is totally not for the deaf community.

How does a deaf person listen to the order over the headset at the drive-thru? I was being sarcastic when I said that, because it is not a job that anyone would aspire to, but honestly, how would they? And I was refering to active duty military, so again, I was right.

I do not have anything but love for the Deaf community (as a whole), so get off your high horse and be realistic. I said nothing wrong. A Deaf person can be a doctor or a lawyer or a college professor, but no, if you can't intellilibly understand speech through a garbled headset and speak clearly enough to be understood through the microphone, you won't have the pleasure of working drive-thru.

You have nothing but criticism, discord and negativity for this community.

To tell me to get off my high horse and be realistic; you need to practise what you preach. I am very realistic of what I expect.

I see a lot of "I, I, I " as well as "me, me, me" coming from you and I can sense that you deal with a lot of self-entitlement issues.

Miss K doesn't need your condensing attitude, I know because I am telling you as an advocate to drop it.

ouch this thread's got some cold hard truth

Wow, I see that FJ is in serious denial. It does not matter how early children/teenagers are implanted, still they are failed..period.

Every child is not perfect, period.

I am on Bucket, Shel90, and few others side. Sorry. :roll:

I can't believe a person's family already disowned her after she simply is getting tired of her CI. I don't blame her. Her family...how shame it is. :roll:

Keep in mind, I respect whoever's decision to get implanted as long as s/he gets different tools such as sim-comm, ASL, visual aids. If hearing parents put their CI child in only oral environment, then I draw the line on those ignorant people with their narrowed minds. That's why I am tired of their bullshit for years. Enough is enough.

:madfawk:

FJ, I don't like the snarky comments about people who work at McDonalds. I have more respect for McDonalds employees than for classist people who rag on them.

Deaf people can be lawyers. I graduated with a blind lawyer. Personally, I think that having no vision would be harder than being deaf because of the volume of reading required. A local deaf attorney hires a special court reporter so that he can read proceedings in real time.

Why do I have the nagging suspicion that FJ goes onto other forums and discusses what the deaf people say here? It's like having our own Benedict Arnold.

I have a feeling that FJ is in awe of deaf children who are successful CI users than those who aren't or don't have CIs.

I have a feeling that FJ is in awe of deaf children who are successful CI users than those who aren't or don't have CIs.

Just because a child/adult has a CI it does not mean that they are successful

I am late to this thread so excuse me but I always thought FJ has advocated for ASL for her child as part of the child's development, no?

well - my previous post "ouch this thread's got some cold hard truth".... to elaborate more on that..

I did not read entire thread but I have read enough posts to understand. Each of you including FJ is right. Let's face it.... this world is pretty f'ing cruel and unfair despite of disability laws and technology. It is sadly true that if 2 candidates (deaf and hearing) are equally qualified for the job, the company would "prefer" hearing. Why? many reasons but the fact still remains that it continues to happen to this date. and it is true that there are tons of deafies limited to menial jobs. Would I have gotten this job if I cannot talk? I don't think they would hire me.

"If you cannot talk, you cannot succeed." Maybe that's true. Maybe not. Yes I'm aware of some deafies having professional jobs but it's a tiny dot compared to total # of non-speaking deafies. Handful of non-speaking educated deafies are in deaf-related companies like Purple, VR, etc... but how often do you see them in some Fortune 100 companies?

That disgusts me. I'm a strong believer in equal opportunity but the non-speaking deafies should put a lot of effort in themselves to stand out such as having good education, specialized professional skill, and most importantly - a good English skill. Look at Marlee Matlin. She's got it all. So did deaf models.

I put a blame on government for failing to create a standardized approach for deafies in schools to prepare them for real world. Hearing kids have standardized education as established by state and federal government but none for deafies??? :mad2: Seriously - a "revised" school diploma? placing them in special education? How offensive. Not everybody can afford to send their deaf kids to good private deaf schools. Our government needs to take action for deafies in public schools! It's funny that deafies can get generous financial assistance and accommodation in colleges but then how can deafies take opportunity of this higher education if they were being neglected at K-12 level?

I do believe in "ASL First, Talk Later" and FJ has done that duty for Miss Kat. I see a lot of :mad: toward FJ and I can see why. Ya'all were not happy about her reasoning behind why FJ wants Miss Kat to learn how to talk. "Talk = Better Success in Life" - that comment would obviously will irk you off but hey - Miss Kat did "ASL First, Talk Later" so there's no problem there. What happens after that is her business. If I have a deaf kid, I would not do CI implant at early age but I would ask if he/she wants a CI or not when he/she's old enough. I understand that early-implanted has a better success rate than later-implanted when it comes to speaking but it's my child and it's my decision.

Your approach may not work for her and her approach may not work for you. Maybe it may work. Either way - not my child, not my problem.

Jiro,

Indeed, she did everything for her girl which is fine. I think her girl is lucky that she is able to do both.

However, Just something with the attitude that have been picking up from the society (hearing people) toward to the deaf community that you may not see. That kind of attitude that does not need to be reminded. What's more, think about if CI users does not go so well then do what? acceptable? i dunno. Just think about it.

And I disagree. I think if you ask 1000 random people if deaf people are as smart, capable, and hardworking as hearing people, 999 will say yes.

Pfft that is totally uninformed. Ask deaf people. We KNOW how we are treated.

Jiro,

Indeed, she did everything for her girl which is fine. I think her girl is lucky that she is able to do both.
too early to tell if she can do both "successfully"

However, Just something with the attitude that have been picking up from the society (hearing people) toward to the deaf community that you may not see. That kind of attitude that does not need to be reminded.
yea but people asked for FJ's reasoning behind the approach for Miss Kat and they're not happy with it. well too bad :aw:

What's more, think about if CI users does not go so well then do what? acceptable? i dunno. Just think about it.
Miss Kat can always fall back to ASL-oriented pathway and remove her CI implant if she wants to. Looking at FJ's dedication and full involvement in Miss Kat's life, I doubt Miss Kat would fall far behind in academic. Social skill? maybe but not really a big problem. As long as Miss Kat is participating in both hearing and deaf community.... no problem there, right?

I am late to this thread so excuse me but I always thought FJ has advocated for ASL for her child as part of the child's development, no?

She does it for her child, which it is great but I wonder..... It seem to me that if a new parent come to her and say "I will not do ASL" and state her reasons why , FJ would support this parent all the way. She won't even say her reasons are myths. But if a new parent come up to her and say "I won't do CI on my child" and state her reasons... and it happened to be myths too... I think she'll jump all over that parent.

She does it for her child, which it is great but I wonder..... It seem to me that if a new parent come to her and say "I will not do ASL" and state her reasons why , FJ would support this parent all the way. She won't even say her reasons are myths. But if a new parent come up to her and say "I won't do CI on my child" and state her reasons... and it happened to be myths too... I think she'll jump all over that parent.

well not our problem, isn't it? Deaf parents would state their reason too. and everybody's reason is different too. So really - it's up to new parent to decide on which path to take.

whatever the path they take... as long as it's "ASL First, Talk Later", fine with me.

too early to tell if she can do both "successfully"

yea but people asked for FJ's reasoning behind the approach for Miss Kat and they're not happy with it. well too bad :aw:

Miss Kat can always fall back to ASL-oriented pathway and remove her CI implant if she wants to. Looking at FJ's dedication and full involvement in Miss Kat's life, I doubt Miss Kat would fall far behind in academic. Social skill? maybe but not really a big problem. As long as Miss Kat is participating in both hearing and deaf community.... no problem there, right?

Hold your horse. Hun,

I wasn't talking about miss kat generally. I only spoke in the my first pargraph about her briefly. Speaking of the general in my second paragraph, I have seen several children got CI users and they do struggle to meet THEIR "society" expects and make them work harder than hearing children and the result turns out "still different". I don't see anything about "acceptable" in there. Acceptable does make any difference in peoples lives.

Back