Deaf infants getting cochlear implants younger than ever

I will try to make my point more clear.

Ask any deaf person in here......Is being deaf debilitating? The majority if not all of them will say no. When you put a CI in an infant you risk death (a risk with all surgery) debilitating pain, debilitating dizziness not to mention the hardships and potential side effects of have a magnet next to a developing brain..And those risks are taken to "correct " something that most do not find debilitating in the first place.

I believe that it the child's choice. If parents want the best for their child until they are old enough to decide, they should spend their time and money advocating for deaf acceptance

I believe that it the child's choice. If parents want the best for their child until they are old enough to decide, they should spend their time and money advocating for deaf acceptance

Well, not everything is a child's choice. Schooling is one of it. But depriving ASL or visual aids should not be the parent's choice in my opinion. The school should teach ASL to deaf kids if the parents won't.

Hold your horse. Hun,

I wasn't talking about miss kat generally. I only spoke in the my first pargraph about her briefly. Speaking of the general in my second paragraph, I have seen several children got CI users and they do struggle to meet THEIR "society" expects and make them work harder than hearing children and the result turns out "still different". I don't see anything about "acceptable" in there. Acceptable does make any difference in peoples lives.

Who knows what happened to them. each case is different but I would say that what can make a huge difference is a complete & continuing parental involvement in deaf child's life to ensure that everything's progressing as accordingly.

I've never knew anything about ASL or deaf culture when I grew up. Daredevil is CI-implanted but never learned ASL. This deaf girl I know in my speech therapy class is so deaf that her HA is useless and her voice has a bad deaf accent but she knows ASL. We all grew up oral mainstream and we ended up fine. The similarity in our cases? our parents.

just something to think about :hmm:

Well, not everything is a child's choice. Schooling is one of it. But depriving ASL or visual aids should not be the parent's choice in my opinion. The school should teach ASL to deaf kids if the parents won't.

CIs are the child's choice. The post was all about CIs

Jiro, what brings you to Alldeaf or the deaf culture?

it began with google search for deaf product cuz I needed vibrating alarm clock and a vibrating device to wake me up if somebody called. some search results led me to alldeaf.com so I signed up... asked a few questions.... and then disappeared for a long while cuz I was too busy with work and school. I think a year later... I had a lot of time so I wasted my time around AD and then started participating a lot.

Just a funny small world that Alex and I live nearby. He invited me to DPHH and I knew no ASL. After that - that was when I signed up for ASL classes.

Here I am! :ily: to ya'all

yes, CI does seem like a "fix" but so does hearing aids. If I had to choose between a hearing aids and CI. I would pick CI in a heartbeat.

if I had to pick oral only and ASL... I rather pick both as long as hearing aids or CI are included to my Verbal therapy (without it would be torturous). BUT if I had to pick one of each, I would pick ASL in a heartbeat and be happy to live as deaf person.

yes, CI does seem like a "fix" but so does hearing aids. If I had to choose between a hearing aids and CI. I would pick CI in a heartbeat.

if I had to pick oral only and ASL... I rather pick both as long as hearing aids or CI are included to my Verbal therapy (without it would be torturous). BUT if I had to pick one of each, I would pick ASL in a heartbeat and be happy to live as deaf person.

Hearing aids don't require surgery. Either way my point is a person should be able to decide for themselves. Not have it forced on them.

it began with google search for deaf product cuz I needed vibrating alarm clock and a vibrating device to wake me up if somebody called. some search results led me to alldeaf.com so I signed up... asked a few questions.... and then disappeared for a long while cuz I was too busy with work and school. I think a year later... I had a lot of time so I wasted my time around AD and then started participating a lot.

Just a funny small world that Alex and I live nearby. He invited me to DPHH and I knew no ASL. After that - that was when I signed up for ASL classes.

Our story on how we found AD is almost exactly the same. The vibrating doesn't wake me though. I rigged two 100 watt floods to lamp timers and aim the at mirrors, Can't sleep through that.

your solution to waking is go to bed early. If you go to bed late, it would be very hard for you to wake up to anything.

Our story on how we found AD is almost exactly the same. The vibrating doesn't wake me though. I rigged two 100 watt floods to lamp timers and aim the at mirrors, Can't sleep through that.

LOL!!!!! and I thought I was a heavy sleeper. Looks like I lost :lol:

do you and Alex talk or sign to each other? can you two score who have the most "huh?" and "What?"

I have a very hard time talking to my sister who is deaf like me. We talk to each other.. but we rather chat online instead.

your solution to waking is go to bed early. If you go to bed late, it would be very hard for you to wake up to anything.

kinda ironic how that comment can apply to kids having CI implant at younger age? :hmm:

Easier said than done when you have a kid and you have to wake up at 4am. That was my life for many years.

do you and Alex talk or sign to each other? can you two score who have the most "huh?" and "What?"

I have a very hard time talking to my sister who is deaf like me. We talk to each other.. but we rather chat online instead.

we have convo in ASL but yes there are some "huh" and "what" :lol:

Easier said than done when you have a kid and you have to wake up at 4am. That was my life for many years.

then I don't think you are getting enough sleep. My husband does this, and he would sometime sleep right through his loud blasting alarm.

then I don't think you are getting enough sleep. My husband does this, and he would sometime sleep right through his loud blasting alarm.

it's not mainly the issue whether or not we have enough sleep but some people are just born a heavy sleeper. or it can be a clinical condition that causes this.

I'm a heavy sleeper too. Always has been like this since little.

Sleep is for wimps. Plenty of time to sleep when I am dead. 4-5 hours is good for me.

too early to tell if she can do both "successfully"

You said that yourself that "too early to tell" but in their society thinking that babies recevie CI at the earliest age those babies would do fine in the future. I would love to tell them " get real!"

it's not mainly the issue whether or not we have enough sleep but some people are just born a heavy sleeper. or it can be a clinical condition that causes this.

I'm a heavy sleeper too. Always has been like this since little.

I am actually a light sleeper I think but the vibrating bed doesn't seem to do much to wake me. On the otherhand I have to tell people that if they attempt to wake me........touch my feet. I come up swinging,,,,,for real. Not sure why. I think it is a deaf thing, dunno. One of my fears after losing my hearing has been not waking up if someone breaks in. I guess I sleep on edge.

Back