Deaf infants getting cochlear implants younger than ever

Problem was the board slid up the bed, stopped the timer and the light never came on. When it worked the first time, it worked, but I have to reset the timer daily and it was too much of a hassle.

Rig to a 24hr lamp timer. It can plug into any outlet and only needs to be reset if you are wanting to wake up at a different time. Just like any alarm. My timer is in 15 minute increments. Mine comes on.....stays on for 15 minutes.....goes off til the next day.

Rig to a 24hr lamp timer. It can plug into any outlet and only needs to be reset if you are wanting to wake up at a different time. Just like any alarm. My timer is in 15 minute incriments. Mine comes on.....stays on for 15 minutes.....goes off til the next day.

I have that. The only outlet I have available is at the head of the bed aqnd the board under the mattress is the problem, but I have to have the board. The timer I have is a very good one. It has the 15 min increments and all that jazz, but it will not work if the board slides up and pushes against the "face" of the timer and prevents the timer from advancing the time.

I have that. The only outlet I have available is at the head of the bed aqnd the board under the mattress is the problem, but I have to have the board. The timer I have is a very good one. It has the 15 min increments and all that jazz, but it will not work if the board slides up and pushes against the "face" of the timer and prevents the timer from advancing the time.

Like I said, it should plug into any outlet including a power strip or extension cord. Never seen one that wouldn't. Mine was $5....has worked for 2 years. It may cover too spots on the power strip but no biggie.

Rig to a 24hr lamp timer. It can plug into any outlet and only needs to be reset if you are wanting to wake up at a different time. Just like any alarm. My timer is in 15 minute increments. Mine comes on.....stays on for 15 minutes.....goes off til the next day.

As I said in another post, I have no other outlets to use. This house is 50 years old and has old wiring and not enough outlets. Whoever heard of a bathroom with no eletrical outlets in it?

Like I said, it should plug into any outlet including a power strip or extension cord. Never seen one that wouldn't. Mine was $5....has worked for 2 years. It may cover too spots on the power strip but no biggie.

Cannot plug in the power stips due to wiring. I have one for the computer and peripherals and that's it.

Cannot plug in the power stips due to wiring. I have one for the computer and peripherals and that's it.

?????? amp usage would be the same whether plugged into a power strip or plugged into the wall unless you plugged other items to the power strip. Makes no sense. I have restored hundreds of older homes. A little bitty timer should not be an issue. If it is I would sell quick.

?????? amp usage would be the same whether plugged into a power strip or plugged into the wall unless you plugged other items to the power strip. Makes no sense. I have restored hundreds of older homes. A little bitty timer should not be an issue. If it is I would sell quick.

The power strip is full of the peripherals for the computer. This bedroom has only 2 outlets. the one has the poerstrip for the computer and stuff and my CapTel phone. The other outlet is at head of bed and had the timer and another power strip that has 2 lamps and a fan plugged into it.

MIL will not sell the house unless forced to, since it is paid off and homes in this town are very high-priced. She and FIL had the house built when they got married, paid $16,000 in cash for it at the time, bought the lot next door and built a 3 bay garage on that. Current value of the property is $1.2 million, but it would never sell for that since we are on a flight path to the Palm Beach Internationl Airport.

I will stop at this posting since we have totally gotten off topic and I don't want to create any problems, but thank you for your suggestions.

And Julie, if you want to be an interpreter, perhaps you should refrain from calling a large part of the Deaf community "abnormal" for their, or their parents choice to give them an implant. It is incredibly offensive.

Ok you really misunderstood my OPINION. I am not going to go out and say to ANYONE that has a CI that he/she is now abnormal cause they chose to get one. Hells, my own deaf mentor has a CI. She still considers herself deaf. I do not think of her any less cause she got it.

What I am annoyed at is the this poor child's father considers his own child abnormal cause the child as born deaf.

sorry about the late reply I lost the thread.

Last edited:
Only job a deaf person can't do is be a telephone operator, and that job offically died out in Canada a few years ago.

Everything else relies on the ambitions of the individual and how badly they want that job.

Music Critic? Court Reporter?

or use good oral speech doesn't equal success and I'm the proof for it. ASL can be rich in languages as spoken English. It's just too bad that some poeple don't see that. You can be rich in ASL or be rich in spoken english. But if you are deaf, it is alot harder to be rich in spoken english.

I suck at spoken English, although I excel at typing it. If you and your sister are deaf enough you can't successfully converse,, why don't you learn ASL?

Everyone in my family know some. There is certainly no major barrier for you to learn it.

I suck at spoken English, although I excel at typing it. If you and your sister are deaf enough you can't successfully converse,, why don't you learn ASL?

Everyone in my family know some. There is certainly no major barrier for you to learn it.

She knows ASL and is involve in the deaf community, but I'm looking for a class.

Just because a child/adult has a CI it does not mean that they are successful

Oh I know that. I have met so many children adn adults who have no benefit from their CIs and others who have had success. My point is that it seems like those who have been successful with CIs get more respect by society than those who werent or dont have CIs. It is all about conforming to the hearing way of life. That's the point I was trying to make to FJ but it seems like she missed it or doesnt want to believe it.

Oh I know that. I have met so many children adn adults who have no benefit from their CIs and others who have had success. My point is that it seems like those who have been successful with CIs get more respect by society than those who werent or dont have CIs. It is all about conforming to the hearing way of life. That's the point I was trying to make to FJ but it seems like she missed it or doesnt want to believe it.

That would be very hurtful to those who weren't a success. It would be hurtful to the parents as well because they tried everything they can, and people are far more likely to blame them that they didn't do enough. The blamegame start to begin.

Music Critic? Court Reporter?

I got a temp job of being a music critic once. :) I know a profoundly (oral) deaf that is a music analyst.

Court reporter... well, I am not sure what the get-around for that, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone is serious enough about it and want the job badly enough, that a deafie can be one.

You have nothing but criticism, discord and negativity for this community.

To tell me to get off my high horse and be realistic; you need to practise what you preach. I am very realistic of what I expect.

I see a lot of "I, I, I " as well as "me, me, me" coming from you and I can sense that you deal with a lot of self-entitlement issues.

Miss K doesn't need your condensing attitude, I know because I am telling you as an advocate to drop it.

So, you don't like my attitude....noted. Now, do you actually disagree with the points I made?

FJ, I don't like the snarky comments about people who work at McDonalds. I have more respect for McDonalds employees than for classist people who rag on them.

Deaf people can be lawyers. I graduated with a blind lawyer. Personally, I think that having no vision would be harder than being deaf because of the volume of reading required. A local deaf attorney hires a special court reporter so that he can read proceedings in real time.

Why do I have the nagging suspicion that FJ goes onto other forums and discusses what the deaf people say here? It's like having our own Benedict Arnold.

Any job is way better than no job, especially in this economy. I have no disrespect for people who work minimum wage jobs (especially when they have to work 2 or 3 just to get by.) I was actually raised by a single mom to 4 kids, living without child support, who quit school in 9th grade to get away from a father who was raping her. I grew up POOR, and my mom worked her ass off, at dead-end jobs to keep us fed.

I do NOT repeat what is discussed here in any other place or forum. I, once, referenced a personal attack against my daughter on my blog. That is all.

She does it for her child, which it is great but I wonder..... It seem to me that if a new parent come to her and say "I will not do ASL" and state her reasons why , FJ would support this parent all the way. She won't even say her reasons are myths. But if a new parent come up to her and say "I won't do CI on my child" and state her reasons... and it happened to be myths too... I think she'll jump all over that parent.

100% of the time I say this to new parents about ASL:

We chose to use ASL for many reasons, and boy am I glad we did! My daughter was NOT successful orally with her HA's inspite of being born hearing. She has a progressive loss so she didn't become a CI candidate until she was 5. If we had not signed she would have had no language, no way to communicate. And that is NOT OK!! Can you imagine being trapped in a prision, unable to get anything you need or want for YEARS?? How horrible! Yes, there are some kids who do wonderfully oral only, and never struggle, but what if that isn't your child? Are you willing to risk so much (their language skills, literacy and even IQ) on that? I'm not.

And my parting thought always is- what do you have to lose? ZERO studies have shown that using sign delays acquiring spoken language, so...why not? I have NEVER met a family who regrets signing but I do know too many who wish they had started earlier.

That is what I would, and DO say.

Back