Deaf infants getting cochlear implants younger than ever

See! When will you heearing people listen to our voices and stop arguing with us about this issue?

But, if what you said is true (that Deaf people can't get good jobs because people won't do reasonable accomodations for ASL and that they can't use the phone) isn't that making the perfect argument FOR early CI's and oralism?? If the kids grow up and don't need accomodations and can hear and talk on the phone, wouldn't they then, by your logic, have more job opportunities???

Can't have it both ways :cool2:

But, if what you said is true (that Deaf people can't get good jobs because people won't do reasonable accomodations for ASL and that they can't use the phone) isn't that making the perfect argument FOR early CI's and oralism?? If the kids grow up and don't need accomodations and can hear and talk on the phone, wouldn't they then, by your logic, have more job opportunities???

Can't have it both ways :cool2:

Then you just proved my point about hearing people viewing deaf people as inferior.

BTW, we are capable to do these things, But we are DEAF

But, there are people who don't think we are capable due to deafness (as in, not very bright).

My point exactly and one that FJ seems to be missing. It is either we all become "hearing" and do things their way or continue to get discriminated against.

How?

Do you disagree with my post?

Still completely missed my point? Wow..

I guess it takes for someone to live a life as a deaf person to really understand.

That's why Mrs.Bucket made the comment that you seem not to think highly of the Deaf community and yet you told her to get off her high horse. She was trying to be blunt and gentle at the same time.

Okay...

Um... I am not sure what is going down in the States, but the phone issue doesn't come up that often in interviews....

My point exactly and one that FJ seems to be missing. It is either we all become "hearing" and do things their way or continue to get discriminated against.

No, either you can do the job and you are doing fine OR you can't because something is "missing" and if the opportunity to remediate that "something" is given to a parent, it would be logical to make that choice.

I don't see how you argue that not being able to hear holds you back but in the same breath vilify parents who want to give their child hearing!

No, either you can do the job and you are doing fine OR you can't because something is "missing" and if the opportunity to remediate that "something" is given to a parent, it would be logical to make that choice.

I don't see how you argue that not being able to hear holds you back but in the same breath vilify parents who want to give their child hearing!

You got the wrong person. I have never said to deny children CIs so either you keep misunderstanding my point or you must have someone else in mind. I despite the audist views that deaf people who use ASL are inferior and parents saying that their children will be normal with CIs or go to normal schools.

That accusation of vilifying parents goes to someone else.

:gpost: :gpost:

I have been reading this posts here. I was not very happy with FJ's posts. Most hearing parents want to fix their children to hear and listen. I might have been jealous but it does not work that way. We will never be left alone if we happen to be born deaf. It is a lot better if many hearing parents would just save money and not worry about our deafness. The fact is many hearing parents have to accept the fact that their child or children became deaf whether from birth or late deafend. Many hearing parents like FJ just don't get it. They want us to be like them, period. :mad:

Okay...

Um... I am not sure what is going down in the States, but the phone issue doesn't come up that often in interviews....

They usually don't. But one time, my husband applied for a job to work in consumer service support. They had him take a test before he could get an interview. This test required listening skills of different people with different accents. for a deaf person, he does not get an opportunity to even get an interview at all. he is more likely to fail this test. A deaf person can't even explain that he is deaf to a live person and tell her that he would love to help other deaf consumers (btw, this Allstate).

You got the wrong person. I have never said to deny children CIs so either you keep misunderstanding my point or you must have someone else in mind. I despite the audist views that deaf people who use ASL are inferior and parents saying that their children will be normal with CIs or go to normal schools.

Sorry, that was intended for the general, "oral-ci parents are evil" crowd.

yep, I never said deny CI either. I'm not that type of person. But what get me rile up is deny visual aids like ASL.

BUT, on the other hand, realistic view for a child implanted at 9 months would include being completely age appropriate with language before age 3, attending mainstream schools, hearing in the "normal range" and being able to learn and understand through listening only
That really is a best case scenerio. You don't understand that there are a TON of different reasons for CI kid's sucesses.
Those CI kids are hoh. THAT is NOTHING new. There have ALWAYS been hoh kids who have on par speech abilty before three, who attend mainstream schools, who hear in the normal range, and who can hear very well. That doesn't mean that they will suceed in the hearing world, or continue to do well.
Some will yes. But there have always been deaf and hoh kids who have done well.
I think we have to wait a few more years before you can say " Yes. The CI has allowed them to really access the hearign world.
Listen to what those of us who are hoh, and who grew up as hoh are saying. Hearing has given us the abilty to access SOME of the hearing world....but it doesn't let us access ALL of the upsides of the hearing world.
I was like those CI babies you know. I'm even an AURAL learner. Yet I was always on the margins in the mainstream. There's still tons and tons of ineqaulites......people thinking I'm retarded b/c of my deaf voice.
Also, you're assuming that just b/c a kid performs well in formal controlled testing situtions, they will perform well in real life. That's like saying that if you're a good driver when driving conditions are optimum, you'll be able to drive well in any conditions.
Hoh kids have always fallen through the cracks, and although some of the CI kids may do well in life, there have always been kids who do very well. That doesn't mean all of them will do well.

Sorry, that was intended for the general, "oral-ci parents are evil" crowd.

Well, I am a part of the oral-only evil crowd but I have always advocated for children to be exposed to both spoken and signed languages. As for getting CIs, I HAVE always said it was never my place to make that decision as it is not my place but I seriously think society really needs to stop with the discrimination and oppression of deaf people. They can easily accodomate to meet our needs. That is what I am mostly pissed off about.

Not every deaf can be a doctor, lawyer, or professor... Nor hearing people. So those professions are rare and you have to be extremely hard worker with excellent grades.

But not every deaf people can get average jobs that majority of hearing people can get. Secretary, office worker, support system, etc. Even hairstylist (can you imagine people getting upset because you messed up their hair)

I have two deaf friends are hairstylist and cosmetics. They are still work at beauty salon. They can do lipreading as well.

Deaf infants getting cochlear implants younger than ever | Dallas - Fort Worth News | wfaa.com | Health News

Surgically implanted electronic devices called cochlear implants help some 200,000 people hear every year.

The Food and Drug Administration has approved the implants for children as young as 12 months old. However, some doctors are now going outside FDA recommendations, saying earlier can be even better. Doctors are also implanting cochlear implants in both ears at the same instead of doing them one at a time.

"Then the brain is better able to learn to use both ears together for added benefits such as sound localization, better hearing and background noise, things of that nature." said Dr. Bob Peters, an otolaryngologist at Forest Park Medical Center in Dallas.

While implanting a nine-month old with cochlear implants is still rare in the United States, in Europe infants as young as six months old have received the implants. That knowledge helped Kemper and Helen Johnson decide to get bilateral cochlear implants for their profoundly deaf son, who is just nine months old.

"I'm sure he could live a happy life as a deaf person," Mr. Johnson said. "But, any advantage we can give him to hear and to go to normal schools, we wanted to take that opportunity.

Kemper Johnson Jr. was the youngest child to be implanted with a cochlear implant at Forest Park Medical Center.

His parents hope their son will grow up never knowing anything except the gifts of sound.

Interesting.... :hmm:

Back