Deaf infants getting cochlear implants younger than ever

And I disagree. I think if you ask 1000 random people if deaf people are as smart, capable, and hardworking as hearing people, 999 will say yes.

My hubby said that most companies would choose the hearing person over a deaf person and it has been proved many times by so many people I know who struggle in the workforce despite having the experience, skills, and qualifications. Are you arguing with many of us and telling us that we are wrong with what we have experienced?

There was one perfect example here on AD when one longtime member described how she wasnt considered to take over the family's barbeque business when her father had a stroke because of her deafness despite having 20 plus years of experience with the business.

First of all, I am capable of high order thinking, so just because something "is complicated" does NOT mean I can't understand it, and it is offensive to imply that I am too stupid, or ignorant to follow your explanation.

Second, there are no adults who were implanted as babies. The average age of implantation is still around 18-24 months and in the early 90's it would have been around age 4.

And third, I understand that you have to consentrate hard to understand speech, but the kids I'm talking about don't. At home my daughter can understand speech as easily as she does sign. She understands me when I talk to her while I am upstairs and she is down. She understands me when the washing machine is going, or she is watching TV. I'm sorry that you struggle, but your experience is different than hers.

"No Adults" wrong.

I have a friend that was implanted when she was an infant and shes 27 right now.

She is not using the implant - She said she used it till she was 24, and got tired of it.
Her parents nearly disowned her.

what kind of job a deaf person should not have? And what kind should they have?

I think most jobs can be done by a 100% ASL Deaf person with very little accomidations, but they can't be in the military and probably will never work drive thru at McDonalds

I agree with you. I do understand how do you feeling about isolate at mainstream school. Don't you mind can I ask you? Is your school have deaf program in classroom?? Or just you alone in hearing students in classroom?

No they do not, and alone with Hearing students in classrooms.

"No Adults" wrong.

I have a friend that was implanted when she was an infant and shes 27 right now.

She is not using the implant - She said she used it till she was 24, and got tired of it.
Her parents nearly disowned her.

So she got it in 1984?

My hubby said that most companies would choose the hearing person over a deaf person and it has been proved many times by so many people I know who struggle in the workforce despite having the experience, skills, and qualifications. Are you arguing with many of us and telling us that we are wrong with what we have experienced?

There was one perfect example here on AD when one longtime member described how she wasnt considered to take over the family's barbeque business when her father had a stroke because of her deafness despite having 20 plus years of experience with the business.
Factual.

The problem is:
Deaf people get masters and higher degree of education only to find out they're "overqualified" for the job. wtf.

I'm capable of doing ANYTHING literally, and I still can't find a good job. WTF is that.

Factual.

The problem is:
Deaf people get masters and higher degree of education only to find out they're "overqualified" for the job. wtf.

I'm capable of doing ANYTHING literally, and I still can't find a good job. WTF is that.

I have around 4 or 5 deaf friends who have degrees in business but are working in group homes as residential counselors with low pay. Another deaf friend with a MA in Biology but is working as a dorm supervisor. They all applied everywhere after getting their degrees and continued to keep on applying for years until they finally gave up. They said they felt very discouraged because at the interviews, they were asked if they could use a phone. Those are just the few of the many I know who struggled. I know maybe 4 or 5 who have made it and got good paying careers but they tell me that they have to continue to fight their employers for equality. It can get tiresome.

It seems to go back to the phone excuse. There are ways around the phone nowadays. :roll:

My older sister have a bachleor degree in psychology. She wears hearing aids, did not do sign language, and use spoken English. When she was hired to be a social service, being on the phone all day was all she did. It was very frustrating and she couldn't get anything done.

Not sure the exact year.

The first implants were done by Dr. House et al. (single channel) in 1984. They were doing trials with children until they were approved for children over age 2 in, I believe 1989. They weren't approved for 12 months until 2000.

If she is 27 and she received it as an infant, it would have been 84 or 85. It would have been a single channel, and part of a study, and NOT FDA approved.

I think most jobs can be done by a 100% ASL Deaf person with very little accomidations, but they can't be in the military and probably will never work drive thru at McDonalds

Liebling works in the military office.

I will have you know that there are 100% ASL Deaf people doing the drive thru at McDonald's.

FJ, you're a wonderful mother to Miss K however you don't seem to think too highly of the Deaf community as a whole; this will reflect off your daughter.

You are your daughter's advocate and ally; use this to each one of her battles as she needs you.. not the attitude.

Liebling works in the military office.

I will have you know that there are 100% ASL Deaf people doing the drive thru at McDonald's.

FJ, you're a wonderful mother to Miss K however you don't seem to think too highly of the Deaf community as a whole; this will reflect off your daughter.

You are your daughter's advocate and ally; use this to each one of her battles as she needs you.. not the attitude.

How does a deaf person listen to the order over the headset at the drive-thru? I was being sarcastic when I said that, because it is not a job that anyone would aspire to, but honestly, how would they? And I was refering to active duty military, so again, I was right.

I do not have anything but love for the Deaf community (as a whole), so get off your high horse and be realistic. I said nothing wrong. A Deaf person can be a doctor or a lawyer or a college professor, but no, if you can't intellilibly understand speech through a garbled headset and speak clearly enough to be understood through the microphone, you won't have the pleasure of working drive-thru.

Only job a deaf person can't do is be a telephone operator, and that job offically died out in Canada a few years ago.

Everything else relies on the ambitions of the individual and how badly they want that job.

Not every deaf can be a doctor, lawyer, or professor... Nor hearing people. So those professions are rare and you have to be extremely hard worker with excellent grades.

But not every deaf people can get average jobs that majority of hearing people can get. Secretary, office worker, support system, etc. Even hairstylist (can you imagine people getting upset because you messed up their hair)

Personal experience shared by so many deaf people in the community.

exactly what she said, and i had my experience with the field workforce. some of depts are so anal about the budget regardng with the accommodate expenses. :roll: even though they do follow the rules however, ignorant and attitude, and soceity all like that remain same negative vibes.

Not every deaf can be a doctor, lawyer, or professor... Nor hearing people. So those professions are rare and you have to be extremely hard worker with excellent grades.

But not every deaf people can get average jobs that majority of hearing people can get. Secretary, office worker, support system, etc. Even hairstylist (can you imagine people getting upset because you messed up their hair)

I think Deaf people can do all those things. :confused:

exactly what she said, and i had my experience with the field workforce. some of depts are so anal about the budget regardng with the accommodate expenses. :roll: even though they do follow the rules however, ignorant and attitude, and soceity all like that remain same negative vibes.

See! When will you heearing people listen to our voices and stop arguing with us about this issue?

I think Deaf people can do all those things. :confused:

Telephone issues

as far as hairsylist, it would be hard if the customer mumbles and is not patience with you.. you just have to rely on accomation and help of others... or do hair only for the deaf if they know sign languages.

Back