Deaf/deaf/hoh

Even if they insult other ADers by saying they are dumb because they use ASL only? Or belittle ASL and Deaf culture?

I guess I just see it differently than you.

Parents came in here and insulted ADers that they are dumb because they use ASL only? Do you have an example and a link? All I need is one linked example.

Even if they insult other ADers by saying they are dumb because they use ASL only? Or belittle ASL and Deaf culture?

I guess I just see it differently than you.

Have not anything like this in the past 4 years, but I don't have a longer perspective than that.

Have not anything like this in the past 4 years, but I don't have a longer perspective than that.

That post had been removed. It was not the exact wording but something similiar. I saw it and was offended. That parent deserved the criticism of her post.

My point is that both parties are at fault for all the bickering. Yes, I agree that maybe we can find constructive ways to communicate with each other. It just gets hard for me to refrain when I see posts that demeans ASL and the Deaf community. That is the only time that I will speak out.

I admit that I am at fault for some of the bitterness. I will try to be more productive with engaging in conversations but if someone disprespects my values such as ASL, the Deaf community and etc, I will say something but will try not to do it in a mean way.

Thanks Babyblue!

I admit that I am at fault for some of the bitterness. I will try to be more productive with engaging in conversations but if someone disprespects my values such as ASL, the Deaf community and etc, I will say something but will try not to do it in a mean way.

Thanks Babyblue!

If someone intentionally disrespect ASL and the Deaf Culture as being stupid or degrades values. I would be the first person to back you up girlie!!

I just think these people that come here truly do not know or understand. A little compassion goes a long way.

I have also been guilty in the past for being harsh. I am not ashame to admit it.

I have learned and grown in more ways than one. I live in both worlds. Some people call me a fence straddler. It does not bother me because I am not one to choose sides or say one is better than the other. :) I have deaf friends and I have hearing friends. I can speak, and I can sign. I am content and HAPPY with who I am and with the goals in my life. I went to oral school and was blessed to attend to a Deaf school for my high school years. My parents drove me 6 hours for me to attend a Deaf summer program for two summers in a row. My boyfriend is hearing and he is SLOWLY learning ASL. He is understanding and compassionated. I am happy with the way my parents raised me I hold nothing against them.

In saying that. Everyone has their own story.

I resent when someone comes into a thread and tells posters how to be polite or that they like some posts, when they haven't participated in the first 10-20 pages (if AT ALL) of the thread and not understand the friction going on, or the friction going on surrounding those posters in previous threads. It's hypocritical and narrow-minded.

Just saying.

I resent when someone comes into a thread and tells posters how to be polite or that they like some posts, when they haven't participated in the first 10-20 pages (if AT ALL) of the thread and not understand the friction going on, or the friction going on surrounding those posters in previous threads. It's hypocritical and narrow-minded.

Just saying.

Well you are intitled to your opinion as well as I am to mine.

Just sayin' :)

Just saying.

Reading and participating are two different activities.

The subject was under parents and I asked whether parents actually came in here an insulted ADers. In that link, is dreamchaser a parent?

No, she was a grandparent of a baby with a brain cyst and an ASL student. But I don't think the emotional reaction to is always easy to sort out, and say , "Oh, that's a parent."

It gets to the point where people become angry easily when they have just had enough.

Just saying.

I find that sometimes, I will "like" posts without responding and for that I do apologize. For a lot of thread, I do tend to not totally understand and so instead of sounding totally like an idiot or whatever, I just stay out of it, but I do agree with some posts that I do understand.

I hope I do not come off as being hypocritical or narrow-minded, but if I do, I truly apologize.

Just saying.

I understand and I feel the same as well.

However, as for the "like" posts...sometimes, the person has already said what was on my mind hence my reason for "liking" among with just plain liking what they have to say.

I do not like it either when a poster comes in and tells others to be polite or slams others for "attacking" a member when they didnt partipate in previous posts or in other threads with the same members.

No, she was a grandparent of a baby with a brain cyst and an ASL student. But I don't think the emotional reaction to is always easy to sort out, and say , "Oh, that's a parent."

It gets to the point where people become angry easily when they have just had enough.

Yet, I don't see it. I didn't see any obvious put downs and such. Did the thread get locked? Apparently not.

In post #92 dreamchaser said this:

I know I offended some people when I suggested trying to put ASL in every school from preschool on up, but I really believe it would be a good thing. No deaf child would ever again be without a base of communication, and hearing children would think it was normal to communicate with the deaf.

Doesn't look like a put down to me.

*shrugs*

My point exactly. Hence why I said why I said.

Thank you.

:ty:

At the same token, reading doesn't infer on not knowing what's going on, either. Both require reading, but one is participation and the other is just reading...until he or she decides to offer an opinion, fact, a joke or clarification. Then it's participation.

I understand and I feel the same as well.

However, as for the "like" posts...sometimes, the person has already said what was on my mind hence my reason for "liking" among with just plain liking what they have to say.

I do not like it either when a poster comes in and tells others to be polite or slams others for "attacking" a member when they didnt partipate in previous posts or in other threads with the same members.

If one feels like I slammed them then I apologize.. but I also will not stand by and watch a group of people slam another poster either. I can read, and I am not here everyday 24/7 to post, so their will be times where I read a thread and click like on them then post what I have to say. Did not realize their was a time limit to post or click like on a thread. :)

Kristina, no worries, whatsoever! :)

When I was talking about "liking" a post, I wasn't actually referring to the "like" button. But I see how you got that.

As far as I"m concerned, anyone should feel free to "like" a post just based on one post/comment. Just for the very nature of what it said. However, to go on and elaborate that a person (responding to why they like it) like it for specific reasons that don't pertain to the rest of the thread, or are out of order, that is what I object to.

Again, I was not referencing to you, Kristina, at any time. You are doing great! :)

Hearing parents do not stay around much after a few post due to the lack of respect. They are litterally ran off if they do not immediately agree with some of the posters here.

They do not stir up trouble, they are seeking out help. I have seen this with my two own eyes. I feel several posters are so blinded by their perceptions that they do not even see the harm they are doing by being rude and arrogent.

The ones that are seeking help stick around. The ones that just want validation or to espouse their audist views soon leave. But that is a pattern that is generally played out in all domains.

Back