Deaf/deaf/hoh

Babyblue

Reaction score
We all are here for the same reason. We all have something in common in one way or another.

No one is better than the other.

I am seeing a lot of bitterness on all sides.

If someone is HOH and is content with hearing aids. They should be respected, and respect people that are different

If a person is Deaf and does not agree with hearing aids and CI they are content, they should be respected, and respect people that are different.

If a person uses full ASL and is content should be respected and respect others that are diffferent.

If a person is deaf/hoh and prefers to be orally deaf/hoh and is content, They should be respected, and should respect others that are different.

The list goes on... Simply just respect others.

The bickering about one being audist and the other is being part of the Deaf militant. I am so over it!! Everyone is different, and should be respected.
It is funny how some people come on this thread and tell others what they think is best for them when they do not even know the person behind the keyboard.

I enjoy everyone here, and I do not pick and choose my online friends based on hearing loss or signing skills or rate them by their hearing/hearing loss or D/deaf culture status.

especially, if they are content with how they want to live with it. No one else is living in their shoes. The person themselves wants to hear let them hear. If the person wants to be Deaf let them be deaf. Geez it is simply put!! Too many people have opinions on the right ways to live... but only you, can choose what is right for you.

Right. If person is HoH and doesn't feel the need to learn sign or whatever and does just fine in life and enjoys it, why get upset over his/her choices? Those that do get upset need to do some serious growing up to do.

Right. If person is HoH and doesn't feel the need to learn sign or whatever and does just fine in life and enjoys it, why get upset over his/her choices? Those that do get upset need to do some serious growing up to do.

It goes both ways. A Deaf person that is content being deaf using full ASL should not be pushed to get a CI or learn to talk, or be told they will have a better life if they doso.

It goes both ways. A Deaf person that is content being deaf using full ASL should not be pushed to get a CI or learn to talk, or be told they will have a better life if they doso.

Sure. And if they want a CI, more power to them. If not, certainly!

Another one of the advantages and disadvantages of AD is that comments will be made regarding an individual's perception on D/deaf/hoh/HA/CI. I do not think anyone here on AD is telling someone else you have to, should, or need to do it one way or the other. What everyone needs to remember is that we all have our own opinions and experiences and what works for one may not necessarily work for another person. I myself would never consent for a CI if I were able, but that is my personal opinion for myself. I would never tell another that you should never do it at all. Same goes for HA's. I have had HA's. Quite frankly, the ones I had were not worth the money. Being a small child and not getting to voice my opinions, I rebelled and would hide my HA's. After the 3rd one was lost, my parents gave up. I got them again during adulthood and totally regretted it. Yes, I could hear people when they talked, but nothing sounded right to me. I am now an oral total deaf and I have been knocked down by a few here on AD for not "putting more effort into the deaf culture/community". Well, I am sorry, I was raised in a total oral family who was told "no ASL, no deaf connections or she will be retarded and unstable". Because I did not know any different when I got older, I stayed in the same situation when I married. Now, I know more thanks to AD. I am trying to do more, but it is hard. I cannot just stop doing for my children, family, and other responsibilities like a certain poster said I should just to learn ASL and become more involved with the deaf club. Seems that my family obligations take a little precedence since that will determine if I even have a roof over my head. I have been told that I am trying to ASL incorrectly since I am not going for total immersion. Well, total immersion would mean moving into a different type of setting away from my existing family as they are not willing to work or help me. I am doing my best learning through books and videos. I did take one class, but not having anyone to practice with, I lose it. When I have tried to contact people through Skype to practice, no one wants to or they are not available.

Bottom line, in my opinion, AD is a fantastic place and I have learned caboodles. There are differing opinions and we need to be more helpful without being accusing or thinking we are being accused. I see the whole HA/CI turmoil to be like comparing Republicans and Democrats. It is a sticky subject, there are differing opinions and you need to really weigh all sides and be both careful in what you read in another person's posts, and in how you perceive the views of other people here on AD.

I agree this is a place where opinions can be shared. but where does one cross the line by attempting to shove it down someones throat on what device to use or not use. How to live or shame on you for depriving yourself of this and that. Each person is different. I was also raised orally and did not learn ASL til 1988 and attended FSD in '89.

I am very HAPPY with the way my mother raised me. I have no qualms on how my life turned out to be.

I do miss out on somethings, as any Hoh/CI/Deaf/deaf would regardless on how you were raised.

I am not going to sit back and blame, If you do not like how your life is. Make the changes that you need to be happy. Im not going to tell you what changes you need due to the fact you know what you need. Not me and not anyone else can tell you.

Definately seeing a lot of lack of respect in this Forum. So much that people actually have a personal vendetta against each other.

I was at least hoping to see a tad bit of respect for others.. negative feeding out the negative. Back and forth and nothing positive is coming out of it.

In my opinion, many here have been labelled "Anti-CI or HAs" but in fact it is not true. We are not Anti-CIs or HAs. We are however opposed to an attitude and that attitude and mindset is Audism. Audism is rampart in the general public due to ignorance on the most part. We are not against people's choices we respect them, but respect needs to be two-way. Those who display an attitude of Audism whether consciously or sub-consciously do not respect Deaf/Deaf Culture. This is what it is all about.

Conflict is not inherently bad. Sometimes it's necessary to learn and grow. Babyblue, if you have difficulty with conflict, maybe you should steer clear of the more contentious threads?

And hey there's debate but there's debate in almost EVERY area of human sociological theory/experiance. This is MILD compared to some of the stuff seen on the old Ms. magazine boards. There is no One Way to be Feminist, and there is also no One Way to be Deaf!

I agree as long it's a two way street!

Conflict is not inherently bad. Sometimes it's necessary to learn and grow. Babyblue, if you have difficulty with conflict, maybe you should steer clear of the more contentious threads?

It is running good people that are actually seeking help or wanting to learn from this forum. My issue is.. IT is actually embarassing how many of the posters are acting. It is becoming a pissing contest on who is wrong and who is right.

People here actually need to learn to GROW UP!!

You know what I miss? I miss the days on AD when everyone..HOH, deaf, and Deaf along with a few hearies, could get together and actually discuss, in an intelligent and productive way, the issues faced by people who have a hearing loss. I miss the days of productive discussions regarding social changes that are needed, educational changes that are needed, the problems particular to those who have been deafened from birth vs those of the late deafened, the insulating effects the D/deaf community provides for those who have hearing losses, the audist nature of of society, and all the other things we used to discuss in an intelligent and productive manner.

You know what I would like to see change? The number of people that want to take an objective post and turn in around into a personal insult against them when it was made in an objective and non-personal way. I would like to see people more interested in the future of deaf children than in being petty and attempting to use an objective discussion as a way to play out their own frustration and pain over the way their life has played out. I would like to see people behaving like adults, capable of acting like adults and discussing sensitive subjects like adults, instead of turning everything into a grammar school playground finger pointing exercise.

Deaf, deaf, and hoh people are capable of behaving in intelligent, mature, and productive ways. I see it all the time. I know that they have as great a capability to do so as any hearing person. Unfortunately, we aren't seeing much of that recently. And I find it shameful.

Back