Deaf/deaf/hoh

And hey there's debate but there's debate in almost EVERY area of human sociological theory/experiance. This is MILD compared to some of the stuff seen on the old Ms. magazine boards. There is no One Way to be Feminist, and there is also no One Way to be Deaf!

a way to be a man hater lol

Yeah, I'm trying to figure that one out, too.

I think Grummer is referring to the bolded part. Just my guess.

Evidently, I have missed something. :|

Evidently, I have missed something. :|

Like what? We all get along usually. Just when someone decides to come in and stir up trouble, then people start think, "oh, I am being put down."

You notice they don't stay around after stirring up the trouble.

Like what? We all get along usually. Just when someone decides to come in and stir up trouble, then people start think, "oh, I am being put down."

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I believe it.

Every party I've been to, hoh/d/D allways goes along well.

The difference here, is that we have hearing people to stir up debates on deaf issues. Koknut would never get so much attention, if he didn't had access to all those audists he can throw around anytime.

Not saying we need someone to blame or that this is bad, just adding a perspective.

Good point and observation.

It's drive-by snarking. :lol:

Another one of the advantages and disadvantages of AD is that comments will be made regarding an individual's perception on D/deaf/hoh/HA/CI. I do not think anyone here on AD is telling someone else you have to, should, or need to do it one way or the other. What everyone needs to remember is that we all have our own opinions and experiences and what works for one may not necessarily work for another person. I myself would never consent for a CI if I were able, but that is my personal opinion for myself. I would never tell another that you should never do it at all. Same goes for HA's. I have had HA's. Quite frankly, the ones I had were not worth the money. Being a small child and not getting to voice my opinions, I rebelled and would hide my HA's. After the 3rd one was lost, my parents gave up. I got them again during adulthood and totally regretted it. Yes, I could hear people when they talked, but nothing sounded right to me. I am now an oral total deaf and I have been knocked down by a few here on AD for not "putting more effort into the deaf culture/community". Well, I am sorry, I was raised in a total oral family who was told "no ASL, no deaf connections or she will be retarded and unstable". Because I did not know any different when I got older, I stayed in the same situation when I married. Now, I know more thanks to AD. I am trying to do more, but it is hard. I cannot just stop doing for my children, family, and other responsibilities like a certain poster said I should just to learn ASL and become more involved with the deaf club. Seems that my family obligations take a little precedence since that will determine if I even have a roof over my head. I have been told that I am trying to ASL incorrectly since I am not going for total immersion. Well, total immersion would mean moving into a different type of setting away from my existing family as they are not willing to work or help me. I am doing my best learning through books and videos. I did take one class, but not having anyone to practice with, I lose it. When I have tried to contact people through Skype to practice, no one wants to or they are not available.

Bottom line, in my opinion, AD is a fantastic place and I have learned caboodles. There are differing opinions and we need to be more helpful without being accusing or thinking we are being accused. I see the whole HA/CI turmoil to be like comparing Republicans and Democrats. It is a sticky subject, there are differing opinions and you need to really weigh all sides and be both careful in what you read in another person's posts, and in how you perceive the views of other people here on AD.

I had comment that I do not like being HOH and and people had said things about this! Growing up my experiences as HOH child was horrible and this had left a imprint on me. I raised to hate myself as HOH person so to this day I hate being HOH!!

I had comment that I do not like being HOH and and people had said things about this! Growing up my experiences as HOH child was horrible and this had left a imprint on me. I raised to hate myself as HOH person so to this day I hate being HOH!!

Well that's the beauty of this being a very tolerant forum. We can each have our own opinions and people should respect that.

All I can say is: "To each his own!" I had a hard time growing up with my hearing loss, but I was never really picked on about it that I can really recall. It got worse for me as I got older and married and had babies. Now, I have really learned to accept it and move on. I can't let myself be bitter over the fact that I am total deaf now. Yes, there are things I miss, however I treasure what I was able to hear previously. IT comes to the saying "Choose your battles". I choose to not let my hearing loss define me. It is a part of me, but I am more than just a deaf person. I AM ME! I am a worthy person. I have a lot of good and positive qualities. I was truly blessed that my hubby accepted me with my hearing loss and still accepts me with no hearing. I really don't see where it's holding me back at all. Yes, some things are harder and the hearing world doesn't do as much as it could, but they are beginning to move, albeit a snail's pace, but then I remember the tale of the Tortoise and the Hare, "Slow and Steady Wins the Race", so even though the hearing world is slow about working more with accommodations for the D/deaf/hoh, they will get here eventually. That I try so hard to believe in.

Well that's the beauty of this being a very tolerant forum. We can each have our own opinions and people should respect that.

All I can say is: "To each his own!" I had a hard time growing up with my hearing loss, but I was never really picked on about it that I can really recall. It got worse for me as I got older and married and had babies. Now, I have really learned to accept it and move on. I can't let myself be bitter over the fact that I am total deaf now. Yes, there are things I miss, however I treasure what I was able to hear previously. IT comes to the saying "Choose your battles". I choose to not let my hearing loss define me. It is a part of me, but I am more than just a deaf person. I AM ME! I am a worthy person. I have a lot of good and positive qualities. I was truly blessed that my hubby accepted me with my hearing loss and still accepts me with no hearing. I really don't see where it's holding me back at all. Yes, some things are harder and the hearing world doesn't do as much as it could, but they are beginning to move, albeit a snail's pace, but then I remember the tale of the Tortoise and the Hare, "Slow and Steady Wins the Race", so even though the hearing world is slow about working more with accommodations for the D/deaf/hoh, they will get here eventually. That I try so hard to believe in.

I am glad you where not pick on for being HOH , I was at home and in school
by some of my teachers and kids! I was also hit by dad everyday for not answering him when he called me!

I am glad you where not pick on for being HOH , I was at home and in school
by some of my teachers and kids! I was also hit by dad everyday for not answering him when he called me!

Ahhhh, yeah, that goes both ways. My dad's unacknowledged hearing loss was such that he could hear my brothers' voices just fine, but I must have had such a squeaky little girl voice that from the time I was about 11-12 on he couldn't hear me unless I shouted. Spent many, many of my teen weekends grounded for mumbling / not answering his questions or for shouting obnoxiously. It was only when I went away to college and we realized he couldn't even hear my voice over the phone that he got his hearing checked and realized he was severely deaf. Took a lot longer before he considered hearing aids, but those weren't so much used at home with the family. Serious communication breakdown that just didn't have to be, too.

I got lucky with the family I was born into. My father had a hearing loss and wore one hearing aid. He knew what I was going through. His loss was from high fevers caused by malaria or scarlet fever. I forget which. My mother has a naturally loud voice so there was no missing her. My brothers were taught from a young age, that I was special as all girls are and therefore, they were to keep an eye on me, help when asked and protect when needed.

Ahhhh, yeah, that goes both ways. My dad's unacknowledged hearing loss was such that he could hear my brothers' voices just fine, but I must have had such a squeaky little girl voice that from the time I was about 11-12 on he couldn't hear me unless I shouted. Spent many, many of my teen weekends grounded for mumbling / not answering his questions or for shouting obnoxiously. It was only when I went away to college and we realized he couldn't even hear my voice over the phone that he got his hearing checked and realized he was severely deaf. Took a lot longer before he considered hearing aids, but those weren't so much used at home with the family. Serious communication breakdown that just didn't have to be, too.

Took me about 15 years to convince my step-dad to get his hearing checked and get a hearing aid. After a career as a truck driver, the cab was always loud and so he gradually lost some hearing to the point where he had to crank up his tv or radio really loud (short of full volume on) to hear. He finally got it a few years ago. And now my mother is happy since the tv is set at a normal volume. He retired several years ago, btw.

I got lucky with the family I was born into. My father had a hearing loss and wore one hearing aid. He knew what I was going through. His loss was from high fevers caused by malaria or scarlet fever. I forget which. My mother has a naturally loud voice so there was no missing her. My brothers were taught from a young age, that I was special as all girls are and therefore, they were to keep an eye on me, help when asked and protect when needed.

Boy, you did get the luck of the draw!

Hearing parents do not stay around much after a few post due to the lack of respect. They are litterally ran off if they do not immediately agree with some of the posters here.

They do not stir up trouble, they are seeking out help. I have seen this with my two own eyes. I feel several posters are so blinded by their perceptions that they do not even see the harm they are doing by being rude and arrogent.

Hearing parents do not stay around much after a few post due to the lack of respect. They are litterally ran off if they do not immediately agree with some of the posters here.

They do not stir up trouble, they are seeking out help. I have seen this with my two own eyes. I feel several posters are so blinded by their perceptions that they do not even see the harm they are doing by being rude and arrogent.

Oh, I absolutely agree. It's a given that each parents have their own perception, bias, and understanding, and people need to keep in mind they see and think things differently. Nothing wrong in providing some useful (and highly constructive) responses to their questions.

Even if they insult other ADers by saying they are dumb because they use ASL only? Or belittle ASL and Deaf culture?

I guess I just see it differently than you.

Back