Deaf Awareness

Really?

I am still bilaterally deaf since December 20, 2006 not withstanding the computer "diagnosis" after joining.Alldeaf.com July/10. Is this something new in ENT medical practice?

Implanted Sunnybrook Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Really?

I am still bilaterally deaf since December 20, 2006 not withstanding the computer "diagnosis" after joining.Alldeaf.com July/10. Is this something new in ENT medical practice?

Implanted Sunnybrook Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

You were deaf prior to Dec.20, 2006. You just deny it. Not new at all.

apparently deaf awareness = shoving a label down the throat of deaf people?

Why so important for others to define who DrPhil is and has been and exactly when he "should" have begun identifying as "deaf" or "Deaf"?

His experience isn't yours; his identity, his journey is just that, HIS.

This unrelenting and desperate need to label and control and convince him of who he is and has been speaks far more about those who are wielding the sacred "approved 100% deaf" stamp.

I'm not trying to label him, just educating him that he was physically deaf long before his silence.

Why so important for others to define who DrPhil is and has been and exactly when he "should" have begun identifying as "deaf" or "Deaf"?

His experience isn't yours; his identity, his journey is just that, HIS.

This unrelenting and desperate need to label and control and convince him of who he is and has been speaks far more about those who are wielding the sacred "approved 100% deaf" stamp.

Most people are not trying to label or control drphil. I don't think they could anyway.

We are having a civil discussion in which he is a willing and happy, (I hope) participant.

The fact that he has joined us here, indicates that he is interested and the fact that he doesn't leave indicates to me that he enjoys our company and the mental stimulation.

He also has lots to contribute. I know know much more about the ear physically than I ever did due to his suggestion of starting to read medical texts.

And he wouldn't label me deaf due to the fact that I can hear some with a hearing aid. I don't experience 100 percent silence, but he is still happy to be my friend even if he thinks I am not deaf and if he thinks I am misguided to try to explain to him that he was deaf for a long time.

I didn't think either that we were trying to label drPhil.

My questions to him were honest ones. Like why the "deaf" swimming vs. regular swimming, etc., and so forth. If they were blunt, then they were blunt, but not intending to be mean. I can't speak for everyone else, though.

I guess some will see it differently. It can sometimes be hard to put a tone on writings.

Why deaf swimming-it is. I really don't suddenly revert to hearing when I go swimming-does anyone? I am bilaterally deaf.

No comment on whether sleeping is a deaf activity?

This computer has NO sound system-real quiet. Right everyone is deaf here. That is okay with me-no problem keying. As stated before just another intermural round in Sociology.

Bottesini: hope PFH takes your valuable resting tip: the Rocking chair and hot tea/water. PROF SKY just woke and meowed your herd of hounds. Your other tip-count backwards from 2 billion should keep things quiet-TEMPORARILY.
Time will tell.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Why deaf swimming-it is. I really don't suddenly revert to hearing when I go swimming-does anyone? I am bilaterally deaf.

This computer has NO sound system-real quiet. Right everyone is deaf here. That is okay with me-no problem keying. As stated before just another intermural round in Sociology.

Bottesini: hope PFH takes your valuable resting tip: the Rocking chair and hot tea/water. PROF SKY just woke and meowed your herd of hounds. Your other tip-count backwards from 2 billion should keep things quiet-TEMPORARILY.
Time will tell.

Right, I understand that. I don't go hearing either when I go swimming. I'm just curious as to why you want to put the emphasis on "deaf swimming" instead of just calling it swimming. For example, GrendelQ is hearing, and if she were to go swimming, I somehow don't think she'd call it "hearing swimming". That's all.

Right, I understand that. I don't go hearing either when I go swimming. I'm just curious as to why you want to put the emphasis on "deaf swimming" instead of just calling it swimming. For example, GrendelQ is hearing, and if she were to go swimming, I somehow don't think she'd call it "hearing swimming". That's all.

:laugh2: true

Perhaps- same as deaf bowling?I understand a major activity that would be "mine" if I "joined the deaf community". Personally not in bowling-declined.

Perhaps- same as deaf bowling?I understand a major activity that would be "mine" if I "joined the deaf community". Personally not in bowling-declined.

Again, you just don't get it.

Deaf bowling is when a group of deaf get together for a night out. You do not get together with other deaf people when you go swimming. If I go bowling by myself or with my hearing freinds, that would not be "deaf bowling".

There are deaf bowling leagues. They actually call them that. We have a MN Deaf Bowling League. That's because everyone on the team is d/Deaf. It's an easy way to identify the team versus the other teams. But if you are not part of a "Deaf Swimming League," and are just swimming for your own exercise or pleasure, then I'm not sure why to call it deaf swimming. Sorry, not trying to give you a hard time -- just trying to point out what I think is a difference.

I am not unduly concerned as to the appropriate label in my usual daily swimming which I do- bilaterally deaf. I understand there is "deaf swimming clubs". No I haven't checked out whether there are other deaf swimmers at Main Center/Jimmie Simpson/Beaches/Matty Eckler here in Toronto.

Wouldn't make much difference swimming-wise to me. Should it?

Time will tell.

Using that train of thought, every activity you engage in is "deaf activity". Even when wearing your CI, you are deaf. You will never again revert to being hearing, therefore, you not only engage in deaf swimming, but deaf eating, deaf sleeping, deaf walking, deaf showering, deaf reading, etc., etc.

Using that train of thought, every activity you engage in is "deaf activity". Even when wearing your CI, you are deaf. You will never again revert to being hearing, therefore, you not only engage in deaf swimming, but deaf eating, deaf sleeping, deaf walking, deaf showering, deaf reading, etc., etc.

He knows it. :wave:

Deaf sleeping? Not exactly wide awake activity. That is interesting- the "deep psycho analysis of wearing a Cochlear Implant" supplemented by a Rorschach test. Right get down to "real facts"! Thanks Bottesini for the extremely subtle suggestion use PROF SKY. Completely unbiased! She appreciates your confidence.

Getting ready for another water encounter soon and beat Mr Clock! Gee should I ponder if the immersion into water to be some deep/symbolic meaning? To another thread asks: is this" fluid/high/low thinking"?

Enough-don't want to consider why considering all of this? Right- see who-other than PROF SKY?

Implanted- Sunnybrook Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Well, me. I am pretty sure you had to say crystal/fluid, high/low. And good morning drphil. :)

Thanks Bottesini: Don't want you to encounter any "hernia from excessive laughter" while reading the above in Rocking Chair while your herd of hungry hounds- bark for food!
Sorry can get your friends the Zombies into this one! That is slippery of you -having them in the neighbour's garage - 6 blocks away!

Back